EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Washington has been just getting by lately even against unranked teams. 

I don't think it's a given Washington would beat Bama.  

And how is Bama different? They barely beat Auburn who lost the previous week to New Mexico St. at home 31-10

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as UGA didn’t get smoked they are in the playoff, and BAMA gets in as well at the expense of another conference🤨

10 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Best win of the year is still Texas going to Bama and winning and they won a conference. 

I'm ok with Texas getting in.  I think they should get in over Georgia.  Georgia didn't win their conference.  So, they are out... just my opinion.   Alabama then has to be compared to Texas.   Texas won head to head, so Texas gets the nod over Alabama.  

Michigan gets in - undefeated (assuming they hold on to win)
Washington gets in - undefeated.
FSU gets in - undefeated (assuming they hold on to win)
Texas gets in - won conference, beat other conference winner.

Alabama gets the 'close but no cigar' trophy.
Georgia gets the 'you had a chance to handle business yourself, and dropped the ball' award.

It's really not as complicated as the committee tries to make it.   And if FSU loses, then Alabama gets the nod over Georgia, because Alabama won the conference.

BUT... years ago, the Alabama bias reared its head when both they and LSU were undefeated going into their matchup (ranked #1 and #2).  LSU won.  As a result, Alabama essentially got a bye.  LSU goes to conference championship game and has to win it.  They do, only to then be matched up in the championship game with Alabama... whom they had just beaten to earn the right to play in the SEC championship game.    

But, a few years before that, #1 OSU (undefeated) beat in the final moments #2 Michigan (undefeated).  Did they then matchup in the Championship game?   Nope.  OSU did, but Michigan went to the Rose Bowl.   The story was that Michigan had their shot, and lost.  But, Alabama wasn't held to that same standard.  And as a result, Alabama won an illegitimate championship, as they beat LSU that year.

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

And how is Bama different? They barely beat Auburn who lost the previous week to New Mexico St. at home 31-10

Because they are Alabama.

12 minutes ago, just relax said:

Why not? Alabama has to get in before they do and there are a few unbeaten teams to count, plus Texas.

You can leave them out but I don't think they will.  

Even though they lost today, which was the first time in what, 29 games, it was only by 3 at a neutral site.

14 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

12 teams is good.  The teams at 12, 13, 14, 15  can argue about who should be in but they have no shot at winning the championship. 

If there was 12 teams this year I could see 6-7 teams with a shot to win it all.....Georgia, Bama, Michigan, Ohio St., Washington, Oregon and Texas.  I'd put Florida St in there if Travis didn't get hurt. 

The teams ranked after that like Penn St, Oklahoma, LSU, Ole Miss would have a very low chance to win it all.

No more than 8

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You are right.   And that's why the NCAA system drives me nuts.   It has always driven me nuts and they have YET to get it right.   The 12 team tournament is close... but it's still going to be bad, but at least with that, there should be no conference winners on the outside looking in, and any undefeated team, like UCF a few years ago, should get an invite.  

I hated the BCS system too... but loved when the little guys got their chance to shine.  Loved watching Boise St. win in the Fiesta Bowl.

I hate their system. the selection committee works for basketball cause there’s 68 teams so it’s hard for anyone to gripe if they get left out being the 69th team or worse. I’ve wanted them to do a 16 team playoff for years now like the FCS does. First it makes more money for them. Second i think it is the best possible solution. Really you aren’t going to add an extra week. The top 4 teams get a bye with the 12 team system and you still have to play those games the week prior anyway. So we aren’t adding weeks into playing the extra 4 games.

teams will gripe at 17-20 but i think at that point the gripe is more similar to the teams in basketball that get left out.

that said i think Florida state playing Louisville instead of nc state might save them in this. I know Louisville beat nc state 13-10 in September but nc state is playing much better football then Louisville  down the stretch. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

The decision has already been made... it will be 12.

And the product will suffer

if i were an agent im telling any A lost prospect to sit out

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

Just saying that happens pretty much most bowl games that’s not part of the playoffs now.

i know Jordan Morgan isn’t playing for Arizona in the bowl they go too (most likely Alamo) 

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Might as well sit out the conference championship game too then.  

Florida St is going to end up getting hosed if they win this game like 10-3. Travis going down sucked but they’re not one of the four best teams without him. 

11 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

It's not different.   You think Washington is better than Bama, no question, right?  I don't think it's that clear.  

Just now, 315Eagles said:

It's not different.   You think Washington is better than Bama, no question, right?  I don't think it's that clear.  

I think it is very clear.   Washington is undefeated.   Alabama is not.    

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

I think they have a clearly better resume and case to get into the playoffs but yeah a game between any of the top 5-6 teams could go either way on the day 

FSU is certainly trying to make a case for the committee to keep them out even if they finish undefeated 

Bama

Texas

Washington

Michigan(only because they are undefeated)

those are the best 4, but Georgia forsure will be tough for them to keep out. 

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think it is very clear.   Washington is undefeated.   Alabama is not.    

I'm saying if they played each other.

Who you think would win?  Honestly I don't think one is clearly better than the other.  

Just now, 315Eagles said:

Who you think would win?  Honestly I don't think one is clearly better than the other.  

alabama by 14 

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

It doesn't matter, because one earned the right to go by being undefeated, and the other is looking for help, because they dropped a game to Texas.  That's just how the cookie crumbles.  And if FSU wins tonight and gets blocked from the tournament, then the record becomes meaningless, and its just about optics and style points.   No better than figure skating.  FSU doesn't have the 'artistic impression' that the committee is looking for, even though they are undefeated.  Gross.

4 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

I think they have a clearly better resume and case to get into the playoffs but yeah a game between any of the top 5-6 teams could go either way on the day 

Thank you.  I agree.  

Clearly Washington has a better record by 1 game.  Yes the Pac-12 as a conference had a nice year but people feel the SEC is the better and tougher conference.  Whether you agree or disagree this year it's the narrative that's out there.

All I know is the Big Ten needs to stop having a division where like the 3-4th best team in the conference wins it every year and plays Michigan or Ohio state. i am pretty tired of  watching the 4th best team in the conference get destroy by Michigan or Ohio state. It’s been this way the last 6 years. Also iowa is basically like watching the panthers on offense every week lol 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

It doesn't matter, because one earned the right to go by being undefeated, and the other is looking for help, because they dropped a game to Texas.  That's just how the cookie crumbles.  And if FSU wins tonight and gets blocked from the tournament, then the record becomes meaningless, and its just about optics and style points.   No better than figure skating.  FSU doesn't have the 'artistic impression' that the committee is looking for, even though they are undefeated.  Gross.

Fsu simply just isnt one of the 4 best teams. especially without their QB. You think they are going to leave the SEC Champ out? plus a SEC champ who knocked off the #1 team that nobody else could? 

Just now, BirdGang45 said:

Fsu simply just isnt one of the 4 best teams. especially without their QB. You think they are going to leave the SEC Champ out? plus a SEC champ who knocked off the #1 team that nobody else could? 

Technically Texas is a sec team next year… lol 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Florida St can get in.

Problem is they will most likely get beat by 21+.

Archived