EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I mentioned this is the optics when you have a committee selecting teams. The difference between the NFL playoffs and the college football playoffs is the NFL playoffs get set up by how teams do and there’s no humans involved in picking and placing. When you have a human committee picking it changes everything. If the Eagles had a committee picking them in 2017 they wouldn’t have had the one seed and likely would’ve been playing on the road for a game if not multiple. Humans picking teams is the reason college football always has issues  

Yesterday, going back to the Louisville game, it came down to Florida State and Alabama. I’m guessing these are the optics (besides ratings and money) the committee had. Alabama arguably had the second best win in college football by beating Georgia who was probably their unanimous number one team in Atlanta prior to the game. Granted, they didn’t look at the week before needed a miracle. However the optics also show Louisville lost to an 8th place team in the SEC a week prior and FSU struggled with Florida (trailed midway through the 4th quarter to a Florida team without their starting Qb) the week before who finished 9th in the SEC and then struggled with a 2nd place acc team that lost to the 8th place team in SEC.

I am not saying they are right or wrong. Just that’s what I gather the optics were besides money and ratings. 

I am.  They are wrong.  Objectivity is required to do it right. NCAA has ALWAYS relied on opinion over objectivity.  AP Polls and Coaches Polls, etc.

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

FSU didn't lose to Kentucky though... so it SHOULDN'T matter.

yes but it again it waters down the win against Louisville. i dont know why people are getting mad about what college football as become, its all style points. also i dont think they ever believed in FSU even when they had Travis simply because of how weak the ACC was. mid season they were already discussing FSU wins & schedule. 

Tank Dell looks to have a serious injury Rhamondre is hurt. Surtain is hurt.

The Cowboys haven't lost a starter in 2 months.

4 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

We also understand that college and NFL are different. Can't compare this to what the Eagles went thru.  

College playoff is picked by a committee.   NFL is determined by record.

It's also more difficult because you only have 4 spots for college where there is 14 spots for NFL playoffs.

Luckily next year it will be 12 teams so a team like FSU will get in no questions asked.

Hence the issue.

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I am.  They are wrong.  Objectivity is required to do it right. NCAA has ALWAYS relied on opinion over objectivity.  AP Polls and Coaches Polls, etc.

Our perspective of what’s right and wrong is not the same perspective of what the NCAA thinks is right or wrong. What the ncaa thinks is right is getting the best viewership and making the most money. Hence why you got bama and not FSU 

The optics i gave is just their justification to for their decision. The reality is it came down to $ and views.   

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Our perspective of what’s right and wrong is not the same perspective of what the NCAA thinks is right or wrong. What the ncaa thinks is right is getting the best viewership and making the most money. Hence why you got bama and not FSU 

Tell that to FSU.  

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Hence the issue.

It would be hard to go by strictly record because you have a million teams in college and only 4 spots to choose.

Thats why you have to consider the conference you play in, strength of schedule, top 25 wins, etc.

1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

NFC South is the most insufferable division to watch in football. Yuck.

Basically the same as the pro version of the ACC.  Probably should exclude their division winner from the playoffs.   :ph34r: 

Just now, 315Eagles said:

It would be hard to go by strictly record because you have a million teams in college and only 4 spots to choose.

Thats why you have to consider the conference you play in, strength of schedule, top 25 wins, etc.

yup if its just record put Liberty in the top 4 they are 13-0 

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Tell that to FSU.  

They did. Tell it to cincy years ago when Kenyon Martin got hurt right before the tourney and they were no. 1 team in the country and the committee dropped them all the way to the 2 seed line. They did tell them that. They made their choice that’s what they told them. 

didn’t say i liked the decision but they choose money and eyeballs to the screen. Which is very much on par for the ncaa 

25 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Bama/Auburn games are always physical and tough. Also, SEC>ACC

Yeah, the SEC had a losing record against the ACC. Do facts matter at all to you?

Give FSU a bowl game vs Georgia, who isn't very good according to some.

Should be an easy win for FSU. 

(sarcasm)

These 1pm games are brutal.

Having to root for the Chargers is frustrating. But the Pats need losses so the Commanders/Giants don't draft Maye/Caleb.

5 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Saints fans booing Carr. He’s bad no idea why they thought he was the cure for their QB issues. 

They should’ve just stuck with Jameis. He was cheaper and no long term commitment to him. The one smart decision the raiders made was moving on from carr. 

17 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Falcons Jets might end in a 0-0 tie

2-0

Archived