EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, eagle45 said:

I’m concerned what next year will hold with another year of age on this OL and no resources to meaningfully change the catastrophic back 7.   They are going to have to run it back with the same group plus maybe one marginally improved veteran LB and draft picks.

Howie's kicking contracts each year is going to come due with him giving Hurts 50 million. No room to improve. Blown draft picks. Bad year coming next year as well. 

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

How about just coaching the DL to keep contain on a QB like Dak so that he can't escape the pocket whenever he wants to?  

Yeah, the lack of contain is getting old. It almost seems like they're losing discipline because they're getting frustrated.

Just now, tuffstuff07 said:

Why can't the d line be coached to compress and squish the pocket instead of running past 

They can... they just aren't being coached that way OR they aren't listening.  Either way, its an indictment on the coaching.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well, playing like they are recently, they would be lucky to even meet one of them... they don't seem to be a team capable of beating GB right now.

DET isn’t looking hot either so DAL might not be lowest seed to survive.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

yeah. poor defensive showing is overshadowing 6 first half points. Hurts isnt good enough anymore. But the run game has also disappeared. Theres nothing we do well on either side of the ball anymore. 

Hurts isn't the problem.  Poor line play, an offense with zero innovation or creativity.  We look like idiots compared to the Cowboys tonight.

1 minute ago, Diehardfan said:

Yep. Smart for Howie to pay him 50 million without waiting to find out

I honestly don't think it's Hurts' fault. I did, but the more I look at the route concepts the more I realize this problem is systematic. Our offense doesn't have proper short reads. Not only is our short passing game non-existent, but we don't have hot routes. We basically don't play part of the game at all.

I don't think Hurts is incapable of a three step drop and quickly getting the ball out, but that literally does not exist in our offense.

Just now, bitbased said:

Yeah, the lack of contain is getting old. It almost seems like they're losing discipline because they're getting frustrated.

You know what happens when you play frustrated?   It just gets worse.  It never improves.  Play disciplined and you might end up less frustrated because something good might come about.

Taking desai out of this because he’s also a problem. He’s not at least getting something out of this defense. They’ve gone from somewhat competent to nonexistent. He’s has as much fault in this.

But the bigger issue is the eagles have a personnel issue on defense. they massively declined from 2022 and it starts with the moves made in the offseason. 

2022 LB: white and Edwards 

2023: Cunningham, morrow, Dean, ellis

Outcome: significant downgrade. Those two guys were above average. We complained about them but they were still light years better than what you got now. Right now you are looking at below average unless Leonard returns to form or close to it and not likely.  

2022 Slot corner: maddox/CJGJ (majority of the year)

2023: maddox for quarter of season, Scott, Roby, bradberry, Ricks

outcome: downgrade. Maddox and CJGJ are significantly better then what we got out of that position since maddox got hurt. And last year when maddox got hurt could love CJGJ into the slot and be fine. Don’t have that this year.  

2022 safety: Epps, CJGJ and Blankenship (backup) 

2023: Blankenship (starter), half season byard, half season evans/edmunds, brown 

outcome: another area that is a bigger downgrade than people think because you had three safeties on that team that were good starters. CJGJ was better than byard. Made more plays. And Blankenship as a backup was better than brown (rookie needs time). Blankenship didn’t have to play 17 games and hold up. He was a solid fill in for a couple weeks. Epps just was a solid starter  

2022 starting corners: slay and bradberry 

2023 starting corners: slay and bradberry 

outcome: bradberry isn’t playing nearly the level as last year. Both aren’t as good as last year as expected as both are a year older and pass rush isn’t as good 

2022 DT: hargrave, Davis, Cox, suh (half a year), Joseph (half a year) Williams 

2023 DT: Carter, Williams, Cox and Davis 

outcome: as good as Carter has been, he’s being asked to play way more snaps then he ever has. Feels like he’s hit a rookie wall. Ditto with Davis playing way more snaps then he has over the last couple years whether here or cowgirl. we miss what Suh and joseph brought. I don’t think multiple Williams has been as good as he was down the stretch last year. Hargrave at this stage of his career is better than Carter. He did it for 17 games and playoffs. And that’s not a slight on Carter at all. Hargrave  pro bowler last year and probably be the best year in his entire career. 

2022 pass rusher: sweat, graham, reddick and Quinn 

2023: reddick, sweat, graham and before he got cut Barnett 

outcome: more snaps for reddick and sweat so worn down more. Graham still solid but had a much better year last year. I’d argue it’s either a push or they aren’t as good as last year

So when you add a new defensive coordinator, who is not as good right now or might not be good at all along with downgrading at almost every single unit you’re gonna get a worst defense. Only two positions i can say it is a small downgrade are DE and starting CB. The rest i think it’s pretty big margin. 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If the 9ers win out, the Eagles don't get the 1 if they complete the loss tonight.    They get the 2.   Not the worst result... but not great either.

there was a time not that long ago that Id say bring on the 3 playoff games. We are better than every team we will see.

Not anymore. 

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

They wont fire Desai in hopes someone hires him away and get get the 3rd round picks. So now someone who doesnt deserve a job will stick in the job because teams are incentivized to employ certain underperforming people.

Maybe but Howie doesn’t care. 

Dennis Green said it best: they were  who we thought they were!

It has been them the whole year

3 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Howie's kicking contracts each year is going to come due with him giving Hurts 50 million. No room to improve. Blown draft picks. Bad year coming next year as well. 

Having a massive blind spot on building the defensive side of the ball isn't helping. Can't draft for crap outside of the DL apparently. Can't rely on FAs constantly.

Just now, Freshmilk said:

Hurts isn't the problem.  Poor line play, an offense with zero innovation or creativity.  We look like idiots compared to the Cowboys tonight.

He's certainly part of it.

Fumble was devastating.

As well as his continued inability to step up in the pocket.

Hey a run by the RB on 1st down.

We won't do that again for a quarter.   And we wait until we're down 18 to do it.   Great coaching.

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

Swift again goes down so easily.  Someone tell me what this guy has done since October 

He’s pretty much the reason we beat the Bills. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah, but my observations of the lines are "hot takes” 🙄

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Part of that is because QBs have someone open as soon as the ball is snapped. 

Archived