EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

11 minutes ago, metal said:

FWIW

What impact did it have on the Noles?   Did they lose a game?   As far as I know...

giphy.gif

Win... lose.  That's what is SUPPOSED to matter in sports.  

Division 1 NCAA football has always been far too worried about optics and style points.   FSU did what they needed to do, and it wasn't enough.  

And its the style points that we've all grown up with that is coloring the Eagles at 10-1, TWO games better than anyone else in the league as not being the best team in the NFL right now.  The Eagles win ugly... but they win.   Give FSU the chance to find a way to gut out another win against top competition.  They earned that opportunity and it was taken from them in the name of speculation and 'best teams' based purely on opinion.  

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Without Travis , they have yet to lose. Those are facts. You offer only speculation.

I'm reminded of a certain NFL team that lost its starting QB just before the playoffs...

Hard to believe that Eagles fans of all people wouldn't understand this.

3 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Outside the LSU win, what other win was impressive? 13-0 that's cool. I guess they can crown themselves champs like UCF did

Tbh Louisville at the end of the year wasn’t playing like the second best team in the acc. It was nc state. Just so happens louisville beat nc stage 13-10 all the way back in beginning of October. But the team playing the best football besides FSU at the end of the year in the acc was nc state. 

That said i firmly believe if Louisville goes out and crushed a mediocre 8th place Kentucky team then Fsu wins the way they did last night that the optics look better for FSU. 

14 minutes ago, BirdGang45 said:

yup. last night also didnt help FSU. if FSU were to come out & man handle Louisville i believe they get in. but also like you said their lose to Kentucky the week before did them no favors. 

FSU didn't lose to Kentucky though... so it SHOULDN'T matter.

13 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

And "Bama needed a miracle finish to beat a team that was blown out AT HOME by New Mexico State.

they did needed a pray it got answered then went & beat the #1 team in college. basically just put the pressure on the committee. also they will say it was a rivalry game. so they is always whacky stuff happen the teams get up to play eachother blah blah blah. 

With Zach Ertz, when you think about it do you really want someone who had actively gotten himself traded or released by request on every team he's been on?

1 minute ago, BirdGang45 said:

they did needed a pray it got answered then went & beat the #1 team in college. basically just put the pressure on the committee  

Bama/Auburn games are always physical and tough. Also, SEC>ACC

Just now, BirdGang45 said:

they did needed a pray it got answered then went & beat the #1 team in college. basically just put the pressure on the committee  

Perhaps, just perhaps, Georgia was overrated.  Maybe that's why they actually play games - to see who is deserving, not on paper, but on the record.

15 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

And "Bama needed a miracle finish to beat a team that was blown out AT HOME by New Mexico State.

Yup... the 'optics' thing disappears when it comes to SEC teams (specifically Alabama).

Just now, EaglePhan1986 said:

I’ll fight you. Want to meet at lot F?

You feeling good about today? Got a feeling Eagles won't be denied today. I think the secondary is going to show up today

Saints down 3 TDs early.

Saints imploding to give us a high 2nd round pick would be so huge. It's a GREAT OT AND WR class. Could get both in the top 40.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And because of that... they are corrupt.  Because they are just looking to maximize profits and they are willing to screw over 18-22 year olds to do it.  

Honestly, if I were with FSU, I'd discuss internally whether or not they are willing to accept any bid to any other bowl.  Granted, that would cost them a ton of money... but it would make a statement that this garbage from the NCAA won't be tolerated any longer.  Sort of moot, I guess, with the 12 team tournament starting next year... but for me, the BCS era, the CFP era were both just fraudulent money grabs and not about 'best teams', but 100% about $$$$.  And they would rationalize it six ways to Sunday... but it was always about doing whatever they thought would bring the most money...   Much more respect for D2 and D3.  

i agree. sucks for FSU. but the moment they lost their QB it was pretty much done for them & once they feel out of the top 4 people should have known right then & there it was done. 

i think FSU has already pulled out from the playoffs or something along those lines. 

12 minutes ago, metal said:

The Lions are looking rejuvenated today against the Saints so far. They are up 7-0 and just picked off a tipped pass deep in Saints territory.

21-0 now.

Nice of them to help our extra second round pick.                   

1 minute ago, Desertbirds said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, Georgia was overrated.  Maybe that's why they actually play games - to see who is deserving, not on paper, but on the record.

maybe they were or maybe those just are the 2 best teams in the college football. we will find out when Michigan play Bama if they deserve to be in. 

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

FSU didn't lose to Kentucky though... so it SHOULDN'T matter.

I mentioned this is the optics when you have a committee selecting teams. The difference between the NFL playoffs and the college football playoffs is the NFL playoffs get set up by how teams do and there’s no humans involved in picking and placing. When you have a human committee picking it changes everything. If the Eagles had a committee picking them in 2017 they wouldn’t have had the one seed and likely would’ve been playing on the road for a game if not multiple. Humans picking teams is the reason college football always has issues  

Yesterday, going back to the Louisville game, it came down to Florida State and Alabama. I’m guessing these are the optics (besides ratings and money) the committee had. Alabama arguably had the second best win in college football by beating Georgia who was probably their unanimous number one team in Atlanta prior to the game. Granted, they didn’t look at the week before needed a miracle. However the optics also show Louisville lost to an 8th place team in the SEC a week prior and FSU struggled with Florida (trailed midway through the 4th quarter to a Florida team without their starting Qb) the week before who finished 9th in the SEC and then struggled with a 2nd place acc team that lost to the 8th place team in SEC.

I am not saying they are right or wrong. Just that’s what I gather the optics were besides money and ratings. 

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Hard to believe that Eagles fans of all people wouldn't understand this.

We also understand that college and NFL are different. Can't compare this to what the Eagles went thru.  

College playoff is picked by a committee.   NFL is determined by record.

It's also more difficult because you only have 4 spots for college where there is 14 spots for NFL playoffs.

Luckily next year it will be 12 teams so a team like FSU will get in no questions asked.

FSU won by 10 points in the conference championship. They could have scored more at the end of the game. Did 'Bama "struggle" with Georgia? Did Washington "struggle" with Oregon?

Just now, rrfierce said:

Singleton is a bonehead 

I loved how for a hot second there was the "ackshually he’s really good!” argument going on with him among other fan bases 

Derek carr really should be benched. The saints offense has consistently been bad for long stretches with him at Qb. with Jameis (he’s not a great solution either) they’ve at least been able to attack down field and move the ball more consistently 

Archived