EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, GoEagles614 said:

Miami had ~30 more missed tackles than we did last season. More picks and sacks for sure. But they’re one of the worst talking teams in the league and very similar or even worse at many passing statistics. 

I don't understand how it's possible they had 30 more missed tackles than us.  That's unbelievable.

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I said this yesterday, I don't know if he will be the right choice and work out. But, having someone experienced who will install discipline and accountability for fundamentals, preparation and knowing their assignments will at least avoid some of the confusion they've had.

Perhaps it will help evaluate players, if they are coached well enough but not performing it might be more clear. 

This team was built with an excellent roster on offense and if the coaching and scheme improves, the offense should dominate. The defense doesn't have to be dominant it just has to do enough to win and not collapse and give up leads.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Being able to manage "situational ball” which was easily the single worst issue the 2nd half of the season. 

18 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Howie insinuated it was Siri's idea in the PC.  Do you not believe him?

Sirianni's idea to not fire Sirianni?

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Yup 

I think for those asking what does Nick do if its not his offense not his defense, etc ...

He does the above, which is fine as long as he surrounds himself with guys who can competently run an offense and defense 

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

I said this yesterday, I don't know if he will be the right choice and work out. But, having someone experienced who will install discipline and accountability for fundamentals, preparation and knowing their assignments will at least avoid some of the confusion they've had.

Perhaps it will help evaluate players, if they are coached well enough but not performing it might be more clear. 

This team was built with an excellent roster on offense and if the coaching and scheme improves, the offense should dominate. The defense doesn't have to be dominant it just has to do enough to win and not collapse and give up leads.

I do like the fact that he’s a”strict” coach - should bring discipline, something this team needs. 

31 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

That’s really not surprising. Back when Lurie was looking to replace Chip, he mentioned that the structure he insists upon is the HC report directly to him. No reason to think it changed when Nick came in. 

16 minutes ago, Eriv20 said:

So we’re going to continue to run this terrible defensive scheme? CBs 10 yards off the ball, giving up 8 yard passes with ease.. making average to below average qbs look like elite qbs? 

fangio defense gave up over 400 yards 4 out of the final 6 games.. sounds like he’ll fit in well here 

17 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

* With guys like Jalen Ramsey in the secondary. 

:ph34r:

Last 6 games they gave up

15 points to Washington 
28 to Tennessee
0 to Jets 
20 to Dallas
56 to Baltimore
21 to Buffalo 

We all could've predicted based on a few DC candidates it would've been one of the obvious guys, but I really am interested in where they're going to go at OC. Are they going to prefer a veteran coach who won't be poached? Go for purely the best guy even if he could be gone in a year?

As I type this:

34 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I always thought Fangio was the best DC in league. Sure we soured on the system last year but he's a defensive guru I'm very happy with the hire

You really think Fangio is better than Anarumo, Belichick, Spags, and Quinn? Then you've got newcomers in Evero, Mufasa, McDonald, etc. I think it's hard to make the case to put him above all those guys.

So far we have:

Cliff Kingsbury

Jerrod Johnson

Kellen Moore

Other potential names:

Jim Bob Cooter

Joe Brady

Eric Bieniemy

Ken Dorsey

Jason Vrable(Packers passing game coordinator)

Adam Stenavich(Packers OC)

24 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

I don't understand how it's possible they had 30 more missed tackles than us.  That's unbelievable.

Gotta be the scheme. Puts players in bad positions and bad pursuit angles. Not enough people rallying to the ball in the right positions. How many one on ones have we seen missed where there's only one guy there within 10 yards then it turns into a huge play.

12 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

We all could've predicted based on a few DC candidates it would've been one of the obvious guys, but I really am interested in where they're going to go at OC. Are they going to prefer a veteran coach who won't be poached? Go for purely the best guy even if he could be gone in a year?

As I type this:

Wonder if Harbaugh brings back Greg Roman in some capacity.

1 hour ago, we_gotta_believe said:

b556c65d2ce070e05ae87d36adec3794.jpg

Rick And Morty This Guy Gets It GIF - Rick And Morty This Guy Gets It - Discover & Share GIFs

Incidentally, for how football is played in 2024, I would prefer a 3-4 base scheme on defense.  As the game moves further towards passing and less emphasis on running between the tackles I think the best defenses are the ones that disguise and fool the QB.  More capable of exotic blitzes and coverage schemes.

A 3-3-5 might be a better description because the defense will be in nickel the majority of the time anyway.  It could put a premium on finding LB/S hybrid players to fit -- I just pray these players are much, much better than the Nate Gerry's of the world.  

17 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

the worst kept secret was fangio was there to replace Gannon if he got a HC job and the eagles were hoping Gannon would leave. And Gannon was a dbag in how he left and screwed fangio and the eagles. Not that it would’ve matter our back 7 was bad 

The back 7 wasn't great but it's like they were unprepared every week.  I think they played well below their talent.  We will see an improved back 7 with better coaching.  

Nolan Smith going after PETA. Hopefully he brings that same energy going after QBs next season.

30 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

As I type this:

I'm curious about that as well. Getting a vet that someone wont poach does have a bunch of marks in the pro column 

42 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s really not surprising. Back when Lurie was looking to replace Chip, he mentioned that the structure he insists upon is the HC report directly to him. No reason to think it changed when Nick came in. 

Yeah my first thought when I read that was to improve the relationship between HC and Howie

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Azeez Al-Shaair is my realistic LB signing 

Gesundheit!  

image.gif.cec43ae2a1944d8c33ff9aed24b79804.gif

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Nolan Smith going after PETA. Hopefully he brings that same energy going after QBs next season.

This is like trying to look away from a car wreck

43 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:
  16 minutes ago, Eriv20 said:

So we’re going to continue to run this terrible defensive scheme? CBs 10 yards off the ball, giving up 8 yard passes with ease.. making average to below average qbs look like elite qbs? 

fangio defense gave up over 400 yards 4 out of the final 6 games.. sounds like he’ll fit in well here 

Last 6 games they gave up

15 points to Washington 
28 to Tennessee
0 to Jets 
20 to Dallas
56 to Baltimore
21 to Buffalo 

Other than Baltimore, I’d take that average. Didn’t Baltimore also put up a gaudy number in SF too?

15 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Rick And Morty This Guy Gets It GIF - Rick And Morty This Guy Gets It - Discover & Share GIFs

Incidentally, for how football is played in 2024, I would prefer a 3-4 base scheme on defense.  As the game moves further towards passing and less emphasis on running between the tackles I think the best defenses are the ones that disguise and fool the QB.  More capable of exotic blitzes and coverage schemes.

A 3-3-5 might be a better description because the defense will be in nickel the majority of the time anyway.  It could put a premium on finding LB/S hybrid players to fit -- I just pray these players are much, much better than the Nate Gerry's of the world.  

Yup if one is going to run a 3-3-5 then that nickel back needs to be able to tackle, and the Off ball LBs need to be good.

Be interesting to see how Vic goes from 43 personnel to mainly 34.

Davis at NT and Milton if hes resigned fits as a 34 DE, Cox if back played in a 34 under chip kelly 

Sweat doesnt really fit, at LB who even knows🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not saying that either Carter or Davis were undisciplined, but them ore I read about Fangino, the more he could be great for their development.

Archived