EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The play that still hurts is the wheel route with westbrook. If mcnabb throws it to westbrook it’s an easy touchdown and that game might go completely different. 

Have we even thrown any wheel routes?

I don't even remember seeing many if any at all during Doug's or Sirianni's tenure.

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Other than Baltimore, I’d take that average. Didn’t Baltimore also put up a gaudy number in SF too?

What advantage? The scheme doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked since he last ran it in San Fran. None of his former coaches running it are having any success running it. Not sure why it’s all of a sudden gonna be a great defense when it’s proven to not work for a while now 

39 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

We all could've predicted based on a few DC candidates it would've been one of the obvious guys, but I really am interested in where they're going to go at OC. Are they going to prefer a veteran coach who won't be poached? Go for purely the best guy even if he could be gone in a year?

As I type this:

Make the team as best as you can, now. We are in a closing Super Bowl window. Don't worry about a job you may or may not have to fill in a year or two. 

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The back 7 wasn't great but it's like they were unprepared every week.  I think they played well below their talent.  We will see an improved back 7 with better coaching.  

Not sure back 7 played below their talent.

Id say the secondary did. Slay looked worse because zones got picked apart right where he was passing off his man consistently, and Bradberry lost is ability to cover in man at all. Blankenship was solid, but a lot of the safeties were made to look worse via lasting impressions from games where they were used as nickel CBs when everyone knew they shouldnt be in that position. That included Blankenship and Sydney Brown. Brown then showed exceptional weakness as a tackler. Which was a minor knock on him in college, but it seemed to be far worse in the 2nd of half of his rookie year. On top of misused personnel, the individual decline of Bradberry, injuries caused a constant shuffling of personnel almost all year long. Not a lot of opportunity to gel. Communication seemed to suffer. On top of that, changing DCs mid-year really screwed with knowing assignments as well.

Front 4 definitely under achieved. Couldnt get sacks. NT wore down and then couldnt stop the run in the 2nd half of the year either.

But the LBs? They are part of the back 7 and so its not accurate to say the back 7 played below their talent. LBs sucked only because they were pure trash to begin with. Morrow disappointed. Jack pulled a Gore on us. Dean got hurt while the jury is still out on him. But didnt light the world on fire like he did at Georgia so its a little discouraging. Cunningham was our savior which is really sad because he wasnt very good either. He just did some things good- mainly helping out in the run game. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Some other options out there. Jordyn Brooks, Azeez Al-Shahair, Frankie Luvu, Josey Jewell, Blake Cashman, etc.

I really think Kenneth Murray is a name to look out for too.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Have we even thrown any wheel routes?

I don't even remember seeing many if any at all during Doug's or Sirianni's tenure.

We used to when Sanders was a rookie and could actually catch. 

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Yeah, definitely another option. I'd want to see a vet and a day 1/2 pick at LBer at minimum. A Murray and Cooper combo or something of the sort.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Not sure back 7 played below their talent.

Id say the secondary did. Slay looked worse because zones got picked apart right where he was passing off his man consistently, and Bradberry lost is ability to cover in man at all. Blankenship was solid, but a lot of the safeties were made to look worse via lasting impressions from games where they were used as nickel CBs when everyone knew they shouldnt be in that position. That included Blankenship and Sydney Brown. Brown then showed exceptional weakness as a tackler. Which was a minor knock on him in college, but it seemed to be far worse in the 2nd of half of his rookie year. On top of misused personnel, the individual decline of Bradberry, injuries caused a constant shuffling of personnel almost all year long. Not a lot of opportunity to gel. Communication seemed to suffer. On top of that, changing DCs mid-year really screwed with knowing assignments as well.

Front 4 definitely under achieved. Couldnt get sacks. NT wore down and then couldnt stop the run in the 2nd half of the year either.

But the LBs? They are part of the back 7 and so its not accurate to say the back 7 played below their talent. LBs sucked only because they were pure trash to begin with. Morrow disappointed. Jack pulled a Gore on us. Dean got hurt while the jury is still out on him. But didnt light the world on fire like he did at Georgia so its a little discouraging. Cunningham was our savior which is really sad because he wasnt very good either. He just did some things good- mainly helping out in the run game. 

If I'm a DB looking for a last pay day, no way in hell would I want to play for a Fangio D.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

The good thing is there are a lot of names out there. Some will re-sign with their team, but some should shake loose.

If we can get one of those guys in a mid-tier price range, and maybe bring Kyzir White back on another cheap deal we could be in good shape heading in to the draft with a good FA signing, a solid FA signing, Dean coming back as depth, and potential of another draft pick hopefully in the 2nd round.

24 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

So far we have:

Cliff Kingsbury

Jerrod Johnson

Kellen Moore

Other potential names:

Jim Bob Cooter

Joe Brady

Eric Bieniemy

Ken Dorsey

Jason Vrable(Packers passing game coordinator)

Adam Stenavich(Packers OC)

1. Kellen Moore

2. Jim Bob Cooter

3. Eric Bieniemy

4. Joe Brady

5. Jerrod Johnson

6. Ken Dorsey

7. Jason Vrable

8. Stenavich

9. Jon Gruden

10. Chip Kelly

11. Rich Kotite

12. Cliff Kingsbury

I'm very surprised that people are down on the Fangio hire. Who else was realistic that we were going to get? Sure, I'd want Belicheck as DC but that's not happening. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

The good thing is there are a lot of names out there. Some will re-sign with their team, but some should shake loose.

If we can get one of those guys in a mid-tier price range, and maybe bring Kyzir White back on another cheap deal we could be in good shape heading in to the draft with a good FA signing, a solid FA signing, Dean coming back as depth, and potential of another draft pick hopefully in the 2nd round.

Trotter, Cooper or who at LB in the second?

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

If I'm a DB looking for a last pay day, no way in hell would I want to play for a Fangio D.

if its your last pay day it doesnt really matter where you play after you got the money.

If you want a pay day after this one, then you better be a versatile CB.

If you are more of a man CB you wont like playing zone here, and if you are more of a zone CB youll look bad in man here. Be able to do both if you want to look good.

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

I don’t see that as a surprise at all. 

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Looks like Washington is getting Ben Johnson

Just now, RLC said:

Panthers going for Canales because no one else wanted to coach there.

I don’t think that’s the case, even if it’s a toxic environment 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

if its your last pay day it doesnt really matter where you play after you got the money.

If you want a pay day after this one, then you better be a versatile CB.

If you are more of a man CB you wont like playing zone here, and if you are more of a zone CB youll look bad in man here. Be able to do both if you want to look good.

I'm talking the one year prove it deal guys that we've had some luck with. This wouldn't be a top destination IMO.

3 hours ago, McMVP said:

True enough…I also think Ramsey probably still sees himself as he was a few years ago, and Fangio didn’t.  Especially coming off his injury 

Well, that problem we have.   His name is Darius Slay, and while the rest of the defense was awful, he proclaimed himself to be having 'good games'.  

3 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Trotter, Cooper or who at LB in the second?

Barrett Carter, Cedric Gray, Junior Colson, Cedric Wilson...

Round 3 Marist Liufau, Tommy Eichenberg

49 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup 

I think for those asking what does Nick do if its not his offense not his defense, etc ...

He does the above, which is fine as long as he surrounds himself with guys who can competently run an offense and defense 

I've told this story before but it bears repeating now.

Years back the NY Giants had a very successful head coach named Jim Lee Howell. He had an open door policy with the beat reporters and one day a couple of reporters dropped by his office. Howell had his feet up on his desk and was reading the newspaper.

"Whatcha doing, coach?" asked one of the reporters.

"I'm coaching," he said.

Howell turned offensive and defensive responsibilities over to his coordinators. He trusted them. It didn't hurt that they were Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry.

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

I'm talking the one year prove it deal guys that we've had some luck with. This wouldn't be a top destination IMO.

Agreed. I dont think thats what we will be looking for this year. 

Nelson seemed to be out of necessity (even though he should have been signed by someone much sooner). Bradberry couldnt have been part of the plan, as his release came late and a little unexpedtedly.

Typically, the eagles pay up in free agency for CB when it is a big need on the team.

I think there is a good chance we go after Jaylon Johnson

9 minutes ago, RLC said:

I'm very surprised that people are down on the Fangio hire. Who else was realistic that we were going to get? Sure, I'd want Belicheck as DC but that's not happening. 

People in here were upset that Gannon screwed up the hire before but now people don't want him lol

Archived