EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Azeez Al-Shaair is my realistic LB signing 

Mine too. Jordyn Brooks and maybe Josey Jewel too. 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Bring Ridley home 🤣🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, RLC said:

I'm very surprised that people are down on the Fangio hire. Who else was realistic that we were going to get? Sure, I'd want Belicheck as DC but that's not happening. 

Well, if you look just at position coaches on 31 other teams alone, your pool of candidates is 93 coaches (DB, LB, D line). Obviously they're not all viable candidates, just saying that's a pool of potentials. There are former DC's who were fired, became HCs and were fired, so there's a large pool to select from. Realistic options are obviously more narrow. But it's the job of the front office to know the people in their network, know the up and coming names, etc and have their finger on that pulse. As a fan, I don't follow every team and know every coach. We don't know how they are in practice, meetings, film study, etc. We don't know if they have potential for calling plays, how they are with players, etc. We can look at stats and rankings and see that players developed under them and that kind of thing. But the people they work with every day know if they're going to be good coaches or not.

14 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Not sure back 7 played below their talent.

Id say the secondary did. Slay looked worse because zones got picked apart right where he was passing off his man consistently, and Bradberry lost is ability to cover in man at all. Blankenship was solid, but a lot of the safeties were made to look worse via lasting impressions from games where they were used as nickel CBs when everyone knew they shouldnt be in that position. That included Blankenship and Sydney Brown. Brown then showed exceptional weakness as a tackler. Which was a minor knock on him in college, but it seemed to be far worse in the 2nd of half of his rookie year. On top of misused personnel, the individual decline of Bradberry, injuries caused a constant shuffling of personnel almost all year long. Not a lot of opportunity to gel. Communication seemed to suffer. On top of that, changing DCs mid-year really screwed with knowing assignments as well.

Front 4 definitely under achieved. Couldnt get sacks. NT wore down and then couldnt stop the run in the 2nd half of the year either.

But the LBs? They are part of the back 7 and so its not accurate to say the back 7 played below their talent. LBs sucked only because they were pure trash to begin with. Morrow disappointed. Jack pulled a Gore on us. Dean got hurt while the jury is still out on him. But didnt light the world on fire like he did at Georgia so its a little discouraging. Cunningham was our savior which is really sad because he wasnt very good either. He just did some things good- mainly helping out in the run game. 

I agree there is a talen problem.  I just think it's hard to evaluate the talent deficit given the deficit in scheme.  

22 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Have we even thrown any wheel routes?

I don't even remember seeing many if any at all during Doug's or Sirianni's tenure.

We ran wheel routes a lot under Doug.  

Curious if the Eagles fire more assistant coaches. Like Moorehead, Rocket, etc.

Also Jalen Carter a finalist for DROY. He's clearly the DROY.

Just now, NCiggles said:

I agree there is a talen problem.  I just think it's hard to evaluate the talent deficit given the deficit in scheme.  

We ran wheel routes a lot under Doug.  

I think it was more scheme than talent. I think we had talent. The big talent issues seemed to be LBs across the board, and Bradberry's decline at CB.

The rest of the D should have been good with decent scheme.

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I don’t see that as a surprise at all. 

As a Bucs fan , I hate it 

16 minutes ago, RLC said:

I'm very surprised that people are down on the Fangio hire. Who else was realistic that we were going to get? Sure, I'd want Belicheck as DC but that's not happening. 

People are just sick of the defensive philosophy which is fair.

Just now, Original Sin said:

As a Bucs fan , I hate it 

Do they have a natural replacement on staff?

2 hours ago, devpool said:

What this told me was that if we don't have good LBs we're F'ed, so as it currently stands we're F'ed six ways to Sunday

I would guess that Fangio agreeing to come here, while having a LB dependent scheme would require some sort of assurance from Howie that he won't continue to ignore the LB position.

The back 7 needs a massive infusion of talent.  The Eagles have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.  I would hope that they used all 3 on defense.  

Monumental f up for the Buccs, now Baker needs a 15th new o coord when those two worked together for a playoff win. No Evans and now stuck with Bowles, and the guy went to a Rival. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

They may go Goodwin or Thad Lewis current QB coach

Canales was big for Mayfield 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I would guess that Fangio agreeing to come here, while having a LB dependent scheme would require some sort of assurance from Howie that he won't continue to ignore the LB position.

The back 7 needs a massive infusion of talent.  The Eagles have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.  I would hope that they used all 3 on defense.  

I'm mildly hopefully that Isaiah Rodgers and Ringo/Brown/Ricks with another year of development could yield a boost to the secondary at least. But the LBs are a hot mess.

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I'm sure they'll be knocking down the door of Brian Johnson after what they just saw from him.

Just now, Original Sin said:

They may go Goodwin or Thad Lewis current QB coach

Canales was big for Mayfield 

They go elsewhere , Carmichael, Moore or maybe the next hot young and upcoming Shanny protege 

Actually a good list. Damar may have it though because he died on the field

13 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lamar likely gets it

Lamar or CMC are the only actual choices on this list. Without CMC the niners probably win 9 games

35 minutes ago, Eriv20 said:

What advantage? The scheme doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked since he last ran it in San Fran. None of his former coaches running it are having any success running it. Not sure why it’s all of a sudden gonna be a great defense when it’s proven to not work for a while now 

What do you mean by doesn’t work? And why would any of his former coaches have any implication in his ability?

Just now, devpool said:

Lamar or CMC are the only actual choices on this list. Without CMC the niners probably win 9 games

It's been awhile since they picked a RB but this would definitely be the year to do it

35 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Make the team as best as you can, now. We are in a closing Super Bowl window. Don't worry about a job you may or may not have to fill in a year or two. 

The problem with this hire is the best offensive minds are going to be lateral moves or in the mix for HC jobs. So if you find one, not only may it only be a one year hire, but you're picking from lesser respected offensive minds because the most respected ones are already coordinators or prospective head coaches. Doesn't mean they can't find one, but this is why you fire Sirianni and pursue a Ben Johnson, etc to run the team.

Just now, Aerolithe_Lion said:

What do you mean by doesn’t work? And why would any of his former coaches have any implication in his ability?

The scheme has been figured out. Doesn’t matter who’s running it, fangio, other coaches. Or doesn’t work anymore 

30 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Most of those guys are going to be paid really high and we already pay Brown and will pay Smith. I do like Samuel and Wilson a bit on that list. Otherwise a slot type receiver in the draft would suffice. 

3 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Bill Belichick’s defensive scheme obviously doesn’t work either because his former DCs flamed out elsewhere too. Right?

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I would like to see them draft an OT but 3 picks in the back 7 would be good too. 

Archived