EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

Most of those guys are going to be paid really high and we already pay Brown and will pay Smith. I do like Samuel and Wilson a bit on that list. Otherwise a slot type receiver in the draft would suffice. 

Yeah, I could see Wilson if we hire Moore as OC. Maybe someone like Darius Slayton too. 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DEagle7 said:

I'm mildly hopefully that Isaiah Rodgers and Ringo/Brown/Ricks with another year of development could yield a boost to the secondary at least. But the LBs are a hot mess.

There is that hope... but having any notion that Bradberry or Slay are going to provide anything moving forward.   Which means, as I am looking at the roster, I am looking at the CB position as essentially bare.  Yes, we have Rodgers... but a full year removed from the field.   And yes, we have guys like Ringo - but he was a 4th round pick.  I'm not putting a ton of trust in him.   We have Brown... I have higher hopes for him, but he needs to learn how to play under control.   Ricks, Jobe, etc.   I don't have much hope for them on defense.  They were UDFAs for a reason.  And they played college ball at a DB factory, so they are likely pretty much where they are.  They aren't going to all of a sudden get a ton better.

So, looking at the secondary, I see 4 players that I see as potential long term fixtures on the roster:  Rodgers, Ringo, Brown, Blankenship.   But, Blankenship to me is a depth piece, not a starter.   Brown might develop into a starter, but he's got a long way to go.   And Ringo is very young, and might have a future at CB.    The likelihood of all of these guys working out is minimal.  Best case scenario is likely that only 2 pan out.  So, going into this draft... I have no qualms about selecting ANY position on the back 7.   Just grab the most talented players, regardless of the position.

21 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Agreed. I dont think thats what we will be looking for this year. 

Nelson seemed to be out of necessity (even though he should have been signed by someone much sooner). Bradberry couldnt have been part of the plan, as his release came late and a little unexpedtedly.

Typically, the eagles pay up in free agency for CB when it is a big need on the team.

I think there is a good chance we go after Jaylon Johnson

I don't think they have a choice with the Bradberry and Slay contracts. They are kind of Fd. We'll see if Howie can work his magic but again I'm not sure who would want to play for a D that exposes the back 7 when the pass rush doesn't get home.

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lamar likely gets it

I think Tyreek Hill should be on the list above Allen.  Don't think he deserves to win because he fell off a bit in the past quarter of the season but still

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Bill Belichick’s defensive scheme obviously doesn’t work either because his former DCs flamed out elsewhere too. Right?

Was going to say similar, but you know the response would be "Oh so now you’re saying Fangio is Bill Belichick?!”

Just now, NCiggles said:

I would like to see them draft an OT but 3 picks in the back 7 would be good too. 

I wouldn't hate that... BUT, what's the point of having a stud OL coach if you HAVE to use a premium pick on OL positions constantly?   

We've got a second round pick at LG, another second round pick moving to C.  I'd like to get more bang for our buck as our OL coach identifies some future stud OL that could be had in Rounds 3 - 7.   Let's see Stoutland find a guy like Mudd did with Kelce.  Granted, interior OL are usually easier to find in the later rounds.   BUT, there are RT options available later.   We need to find them.  

11 minutes ago, Eriv20 said:

The scheme has been figured out. Doesn’t matter who’s running it, fangio, other coaches. Or doesn’t work anymore 

Same question, what do you mean by figured out/doesn’t work? Every team in the NFL this season lost games because their defenses gave up more points than their offenses scored. Every defense was figured out. Is that what you mean by doesn’t work?

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Actually a good list. Damar may have it though because he died on the field

Comeback to Life Player of the Year

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

If Moore signs, Cedric Wilson signing for WR3 seems to make sense. Did their time overlap in Dallas? I believe it did.

6 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Most of those guys are going to be paid really high and we already pay Brown and will pay Smith. I do like Samuel and Wilson a bit on that list. Otherwise a slot type receiver in the draft would suffice. 

From that list alone, I think Van Jefferson is probably the best fit for WR3. Too bad he's already 27, but I think he's the kind of guy who can step in if needed too.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

If Moore signs, Cedric Wilson signing for WR3 seems to make sense. Did their time overlap in Dallas? 

Yes

Chargers and Herbert took a step back this year under Moore 

13 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

As great as a story Hamlin was, the voters have a responsibility to legitimately vote for this with their heads not their hearts. There’s a lot of money attached to these awards with the betting markets and those who played Flacco or Baker should have a real chance to win. 

40 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Trotter, Cooper or who at LB in the second?

Cedric Gray, Junior Colson

28 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lamar likely gets it

As he should.

25 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Curious if the Eagles fire more assistant coaches. Like Moorehead, Rocket, etc.

Also Jalen Carter a finalist for DROY. He's clearly the DROY.

The Rams have a couple of legitimate contenders as well.

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd have to give it to Baker.

17 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I’d be surprised if they voted him. His story was the story of the century, but he never actually returned to playing meaningful football. If he had retired, would he still have won CotY award? Is sitting on the bench that much more relevant to the award than sitting on the couch?

Interesting that there are only 3 open HC jobs left, but still lots of names out there.

Bill Belichick, Mike Vrabel, Ben Johnson, Mike MacDonald, Dan Quinn, Bobby Slowik

Should be a decent group of coaches for next year too

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'd take him of Kliff.

6 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I’d be surprised if they voted him. His story was the story of the century, but he never actually returned to playing meaningful football. If he had retired, would he still have won CotY award? Is sitting on the bench that much more relevant to the award than sitting on the couch?

Yes, very. You're basically asking if Hamlin is more worthy of the award than me.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Interesting that there are only 3 open HC jobs left, but still lots of names out there.

Bill Belichick, Mike Vrabel, Ben Johnson, Mike MacDonald, Dan Quinn, Bobby Slowik

Should be a decent group of coaches for next year too

Good.  We may need it.

If some team can get Vrabel as a DC that would be huge for them.

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yes, very. You’re basically asking if Hamlin is more worthy of the award than me.

If you had a heart attack on the field and came back from it. That disparity between you and him with his 17 defensive snaps is smaller IMO between the disparity between him and Baker Mayfield who carried a team to the playoffs. 

If him actually playing football is not a requirement for this award, then what is the defining comparison of the other finalists? How bad their injuries previously were? What then was the point of Geno winning last year? 

IMO it is not a good precedent for an award to be won for PR vs it’s actual historic merit

A quick search on what kellen Moore's offensive system is brings up a discussion from chargers fans when they hired him which states it is a variation of the WCO with a lot of 11 personnel. But incorporates more pre-snap motions,  play action,  RPOs and zone runs. 

According to that,  he's a great mix of what we do combined with what fans want us to do more of. 

He also has play calling experience. 

Pretty much checks all the boxes. 

Here's your reward for coming back to life even though you didn't really play at the top of your position

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

Have we even thrown any wheel routes?

I don't even remember seeing many if any at all during Doug's or Sirianni's tenure.

Frankly we’ve been a below average to bad RB screen or throw it to the back team for a while now 

Archived