EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Good.  We may need it.

If some team can get Vrabel as a DC that would be huge for them.

He would be smart to go to a TV show for a year, get paid rather than coach a defense. 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Steichen & Reich had tough years with Chargers. I'm not holding that against Moore. I liked what he did in Dallas.  He'd be a big upgrade if it goes that way

11 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

If you had a heart attack on the field and came back from it. That disparity between you and him with his 17 defensive snaps is smaller IMO between the disparity between him and Baker Mayfield who carried a team to the playoffs. 

If him actually playing football is not a requirement for this award, then what is the defining comparison of the other finalists? How bad their injuries previously were? 

He still came back less than a year from dying on the field. He still made it through training camp. He still was in the NFL the entire year. He still went through all that it takes to be a professional athlete.

Just like the MVP unofficially just goes to QB's, CPoTY typically goes to someone that comes back from injury to continue their career in the NFL. Last year there wasn't any great candidates so it went to Geno. I think anyone is crazy if they don't think Hamlin is winning it. 

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Fangio has influenced the entire league, but aside from the Dolphins the Eagles, Chargers and Packers were the main proponents in 2023.  The Packers looked decent by the end of the year, so you can hang your hat on that -or- look at the other teams and expect to be roadkill.    

3 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Both Steichen & Reich had tough years with Chargers. I'm not holding that against Moore. I liked what he did in Dallas.  He'd be a big upgrade if it goes that way

Don't like how the Cowboys offense got better when he left.

3 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

He got kind of stale in Dallas too though. They upgraded by giving the offense and play calling to McCarthy.

4 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

They also dealt with injuries IIRC

27 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

There is that hope... but having any notion that Bradberry or Slay are going to provide anything moving forward.   Which means, as I am looking at the roster, I am looking at the CB position as essentially bare.  Yes, we have Rodgers... but a full year removed from the field.   And yes, we have guys like Ringo - but he was a 4th round pick.  I'm not putting a ton of trust in him.   We have Brown... I have higher hopes for him, but he needs to learn how to play under control.   Ricks, Jobe, etc.   I don't have much hope for them on defense.  They were UDFAs for a reason.  And they played college ball at a DB factory, so they are likely pretty much where they are.  They aren't going to all of a sudden get a ton better.

So, looking at the secondary, I see 4 players that I see as potential long term fixtures on the roster:  Rodgers, Ringo, Brown, Blankenship.   But, Blankenship to me is a depth piece, not a starter.   Brown might develop into a starter, but he's got a long way to go.   And Ringo is very young, and might have a future at CB.    The likelihood of all of these guys working out is minimal.  Best case scenario is likely that only 2 pan out.  So, going into this draft... I have no qualms about selecting ANY position on the back 7.   Just grab the most talented players, regardless of the position.

I think you're right overall, because you need a mix of veterans and young players. Example at LB even if they draft 2 linebackers high (they won't but just saying) are they going to have those guys start? What Howie usually does at a position that needs attention is sign a free agent with starting experience to pair with the young guys.  So the way I see it:

Corner: Veteran Slay with 2nd year players Ricks and Ringo, Rodgers who will have to get back into game shape. Maybe they sign a mid-level free agent. (Bradberry should be cut).

Safety: I don't want them to rely on what they have, bring in a free agent mid-tier with starting experience, or a top level free agent (not sure who's available) to pair with the younger guys. Blankenship benefited being next to CJG. Brown has a lot to develop in his game but he's aggressive and will put in the work. Adding a veteran to that mix and take pressure off both of them will help.

LB: I sincerely hope that Howie noting that each SB appearance had strong LB play indicates he realizes this year was not strong LB play, and he'll address it.  I'd LOVE to draft a LB high, give us Edgerrin Cooper. Even if they do something like that, Howie needs to sign a competent veteran. The level of past signings like Bradham or Kyzir White would be fine, but add a top LB prospect in the draft. Nakobe Dean may turn out to be a decent player, but he's not there yet and it's foolish to rely on him as the sole answer at LB. They signed Cunningham in August, that's getting leftovers. Need to sign a LB in the first couple days of free agency to bring some stability to the position.

29 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Same question, what do you mean by figured out/doesn’t work? Every team in the NFL this season lost games because their defenses gave up more points than their offenses scored. Every defense was figured out. Is that what you mean by doesn’t work?

How many teams over .500 did this scheme work against? It couldn’t even stop the eagles offense 

29 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Comeback to Life Player of the Year

Lazarus Player of the Year

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

He got kind of stale in Dallas too though. They upgraded by giving the offense and play calling to McCarthy.

Yeah fair he might have gotten stale in Dallas but I kind of think that is how the league is now? Turnover is high and you just have to bring in fresh ideas and tweak things and sometimes that means a change at OC. Lets be honest if Moore comes in and does a good job here he will be here for what 2 years max? 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

Don't like how the Cowboys offense got better when he left.

Accurate

The Eagles passing game sucked. Don't know how much of that was Patullo, but if he had his marks on it, he can go too.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah fair he might have gotten stale in Dallas but I kind of think that is how the league is now? Turnover is high and you just have to bring in fresh ideas and tweak things and sometimes that means a change at OC. Lets be honest if Moore comes in and does a good job here he will be here for what 2 years max? 

He would have to really build up his resume. He doesn't get much, if any at all, attention in the HC searches anymore. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I know this is the NFL and this is how things go but it must be hard for these guys. To just sit and wait to see if they still have a job or not must be really hard.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

He would have to really build up his resume. He doesn't get much, if any at all, attention in the HC searches anymore. 

Yeah that is fair but with the talent on this team? And the fact he would be installing his offense and calling the plays? If he were to do a good job (if I know) lets be honest it would be 2 years max. Whomever comes in to this role has 2 years max because the whole league knows they'd be running the offense.

While I’m not in love with the "limit big plays while sacrificing short stuff” type of defense Fangio seems to want, if you’re going to run a scheme you might as well have the guy who invented it rather than a disciple.

This should definitely help with stability and not having guys pointing at each other after every play not knowing what they were supposed to be doing. 

I would still prefer a more aggressive style but Vic knows what he’s doing and has done it in several different places with all kinds of different personnel. They could definitely do much worse. 

On the offensive side of the ball I’m still not sure why Nick is still here if they are going to let someone bring in their own offense but that doesn’t mean they can’t win that way. All they really needed to be contenders last year was be able to get 3 yards vs the blitz instead of having 4 guys streaking down the sideline on go routes, and not have literally the worst defense in the league down the stretch. It’s so easily fixable that it brings into question what Sirianni actually does here and what he was doing for those several months without adjusting at all. 

If Jalen had full autonomy and was calling the wrong stuff or not communicating the blitz at the line or whatever than I guess it would explain some of it but it wouldn’t explain why it wasn’t addressed or corrected week after week. 

I do feel like the Eagles are much closer to the SB team than they are the team we saw down the stretch last year. Hopefully the obvious adjustments are made and Howie does a solid job of upgrading the roster. 🦅 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The biggest uptick in their offense was Dak not making completely boneheaded throws this season. They still performed really poorly against playoff teams outside of our games though.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

I don’t see that as a surprise at all. 

I think because Vrabel had been expected to be the guy.

1 minute ago, Estasi said:

I would still prefer a more aggressive style but Vic knows what he’s doing and has done it in several different places with all kinds of different personnel. They could definitely do much worse. 

That is kind of how I feel. I'd rather a more aggressive style. I'd rather a DC who is going to mix up the blitz more and get more physical in terms of the coverage schemes but that isn't the Fangio way. But he is smart and he does a lot to throw QBs off so that might then help? Like you say better to have the Master than the disciples.

48 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Actually a good list. Damar may have it though because he died on the field

Hamlin will definitely win it, without question. Nobody else comes close.

40 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Didn't watch much of the chargers but seemed like they underperfomed offensively this year. Moore was decent when he was in Dallas though.

For the record, I would not be upset about Kellen Moore.

Archived