EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, Iggles25 said:

Watching YouTube videos of draft prospects and mock draft simulators are fun ways to pass the time.

After the aforementioned activity of course.

Draft is looking kind of weak this year. Is it like some sort of Covid hangover or something 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, judunno said:

Draft is looking kind of weak this year. Is it like some sort of Covid hangover or something 

It’s exactly that. Very top heavy. And a lot of older prospects. 

it seems like it has a chance to be a historic WR draft though. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:52 PM, paco said:

@Joe Ball

saw this, thought I’d throw it your way in case you missed it since you were asking about the cowboys cap. 
7 potential salary cap casualties for 2024 Dallas Cowboys

I’ve been traveling for work this week and just now getting a chance to catch up on fb. DLaw will be tough to replace. The rest, outside of Anger, I think they can fill without significant impact.

This looks to be a train wreck of an offseason so far for DAL. I guess we’ll see what transpires, I’m not getting too excited, just another year of being a DAL fan.

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

It’s exactly that. Very top heavy. And a lot of older prospects. 

I read where some guy got an eighth or ninth year of eligibility this past week. Lots of older players with experience from the pandemic and staying in school for NIL money. You would think more experience might help then get playing time early in their pro career, but also more miles on the tires that will likely take some years off of their pro career as well. That’s my theory anyway.

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

it seems like it has a chance to be a historic WR draft though. 

OT too

2 hours ago, Know Life said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stay busy on a 20-hour train ride? Most of my stuff is being shipped, so I'm only bringing a duffle bag with me.

This will be my fifth time traveling from Florida to Philly via train, and I can’t think of anything new to do. And while I appreciate your comedic responses, a couple of useful ones would be appreciated.

image.gif.c1ac789e0b24b6f6b11c1b511f6a7b84.gif

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stay busy on a 20-hour train ride? Most of my stuff is being shipped, so I'm only bringing a duffle bag with me.

This will be my fifth time traveling from Florida to Philly via train, and I can’t think of anything new to do. And while I appreciate your comedic responses, a couple of useful ones would be appreciated.

nintendo switch lite

Nintendo-Switch-Lite-Console-Gray-Version-600x600.jpg

Sirianni asking Kliff if Nick is allowed to speak in the lockerroom after the game.

GEuUGXyXkAEXM2w?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, Eriv20 said:

That was an anomaly, clearly. Eagles d was awful his whole tenure but one year and his defense in Arizona is last in the league. 

and to make matters worse. Who was the consultant 2 weeks prior to the Super Bowl when gannons defense wet the bed? Hmmm

give some examples of why fangio is the right guy? Why does it work? When has it ever worked outside of San Francisco? 

Fangio was an offensive consultant 2 weeks before the Super Bowl, if you were keeping track.

In 2018 as Chicago’s D coordinator, Fangio had the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. The year before they were also top 10. In Denver his first year there in 2019 they were top 10. Just recently in 2021 they were 3rd. Thats with Playing Mahomes twice, playing Herbert twice, et al. 

If this doesn’t qualify as working, what is a defense that works? Did you expect us to be able to get a defensive coordinator with a better résumé than this? Who available has ever done that?

Fangio as DC, IMO, means stock up for Reddick and down for Nolan Smith.  

Fangio is an older guy and the entire coaching staff is under intense, immediate pressure to quickly get things back on track.

Fangio’s defenses are almost always built around a stud, standup edge rusher.  What he’s not known for, however, is creatively getting other guys in that mold involved in the pass rush.

That probably means Fangio won’t let them consider trading Reddick and won’t utilize Smith.

Why not fly? 

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Fangio was an offensive consultant 2 weeks before the Super Bowl, if you were keeping track.

In 2018 as Chicago’s D coordinator, Fangio had the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. The year before they were also top 10. In Denver his first year there in 2019 they were top 10. Just recently in 2021 they were 3rd. Thats with Playing Mahomes twice, playing Herbert twice, et al. 

If this doesn’t qualify as working, what is a defense that works? Did you expect us to be able to get a defensive coordinator with a better résumé than this? Who available has ever done that?

He’s been coaching in the league for 33 years, 24 as a d coor and you gave me 3 good years.. recently however, anyone running his scheme have been bottom of the league including the eagles and at his most recent stop, Miami, his defense couldn’t stop above .500 level offenses and they were getting torched down the stretch.. so he was great 10 years ago.. what has he done lately?  

now I don’t disagree that he brings some value but if he’s not going to try to evolve his scheme then expect to see the defense get beat over and over again..

who knows who we could’ve found as a d coor and I don’t care if I’m in the minority but I would’ve like to have seen the eagles change their approach in terms of how we play defense. There’s going to be some gem that a team finds who’s going to do big things as a coordinator, happens all the time. We just opted to go with experience and settle for what appears to be an average coordinator at this point in his career

we can agree to disagree. You love the hire, I’m meh. But nonetheless, want the eagles to fix the issues on both sides of the ball and get back to the Super Bowl.. that’s the end goal

3 hours ago, Eriv20 said:

He’s been coaching in the league for 33 years, 24 as a d coor and you gave me 3 good years.. recently however, anyone running his scheme have been bottom of the league including the eagles and at his most recent stop, Miami, his defense couldn’t stop above .500 level offenses and they were getting torched down the stretch.. so he was great 10 years ago.. what has he done lately?  

now I don’t disagree that he brings some value but if he’s not going to try to evolve his scheme then expect to see the defense get beat over and over again..

who knows who we could’ve found as a d coor and I don’t care if I’m in the minority but I would’ve like to have seen the eagles change their approach in terms of how we play defense. There’s going to be some gem that a team finds who’s going to do big things as a coordinator, happens all the time. We just opted to go with experience and settle for what appears to be an average coordinator at this point in his career

we can agree to disagree. You love the hire, I’m meh. But nonetheless, want the eagles to fix the issues on both sides of the ball and get back to the Super Bowl.. that’s the end goal

I specifically only gave you recent seasons, all since our championship year. He’s has double digit seasons in the top 10 in scoring D overall. I gave you 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, those aren’t recent enough? You won’t find a guy more recently who has a better résumé and is available.

I didn’t say I loved the hire, I simply contended the idea that his defense doesn’t work is such a silly knock. Of course it works. This argument only holds water if Gannon’s time on the Eagles was an anomaly and Fangio’s time with the Broncos was an anomaly and Fangio’s time with the Bears was an anomaly. You’re basing your entire opinion on from 1 season where both his top pass rushers went on IR and his two star CBs missed significant time. And he still improved their defense from 2022.

10 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

He interviewed with both the panthers and falcons I thought. Guess they didn't like what they heard.

Looks like the falcons interviewed him, but the panthers it was announced he would and then they hired their coach so I don't know if that happened. 

It is odd, he is well regarded by coaches and players alike. A year off and back to it next year I suppose.

6 hours ago, Original Sin said:

OT too

We need OT.  Draft a couple good ones and develop them.

Underwhelmed about the Fangio signing. Not really sure what we're gonna see differently. They should have ripped up the whole thing and gone with something completely different.

Sounds like the dolphins players are glad to see the back of him too....

46 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Underwhelmed about the Fangio signing. Not really sure what we're gonna see differently. They should have ripped up the whole thing and gone with something completely different.

Sounds like the dolphins players are glad to see the back of him too....

This is how the Eagles operate.  They fixate on a guy... and then they bring him in, when the opportunity presents itself.  We've seen it before.  

Before Gannon left " we need to get Fangio” after Gannon leaves "man he fed us on Fangio” less than a year later we get Fangio "meh.”  Gotta love the fan base.

6 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Before Gannon left " we need to get Fangio” after Gannon leaves "man he fed us on Fangio” less than a year later we get Fangio "meh.”  Gotta love the fan base.

I didn't like Gannons D at times, but it was 100x better than the crap we had this season. 

The bar is low - anything is an improvement.

12 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I considered him the best coordinator in the league for a while. He’s a defensive guru with a 20 year track record.  I’m happy. 

13 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Now why can't we interview this guy as a serious candidate? 

You'd think he would be one they target.

17 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Only took 1 year of seeing his scheme badly implemented for many to sour. I was more pissed at Gannon not getting a stop in the Superbowl than potentially losing out on a DC that I knew nothing about.

Archived