2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Sign me up for Joe Barry as LBs coach. 

Yep. Would be a nice hire. 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Dont forget Rodgers. I often do it too

Ricks and Jobe played in a Saban D that uses some complicated zone match. Ringo not as sure but still Georgia, and i think he might be a better safety than corner.

Another corner wont help If we are swiss cheese up the middle again

Yeah... I've heard all about the Alabama pedigree of Ricks and Jobe.   What I don't hear is actually about how well they are playing in the NFL.  There's a reason neither one was drafted and they aren't really showing that that was a mistake.   As depth pieces and ST players, they are fine.   As starting caliber CB in the NFL, they don't have it.   And, it is because they played at Alabama that I don't have much confidence in their ability to improve.  I think they are basically maxed out as they are.  This will be year 3 coming up for Jobe, and he continues to be what he's been.   A nice ST player, but way too grabby as a CB.  Ricks is very similar.   Very handsy and stiff in the hips.  He gets beat, grabs the receiver to stay near by and gets called.  Ringo is the only one I have any hope for, and that's guarded hope.  Even if he does turn into something, that's just one CB spot, and we need more.

Rodgers is a gigantic question mark for me.   Sure, he might be a really good nickel.  But, he's now a full year removed from the game and once more not a guy you can depend on to be the long term solution.  

Obviously there are other positions in the back 7 that need to be improved.  If I am being brutally honest, this team likely needs 6 new players on the back 7.   The order in which they find them doesn't matter to me.  You take the one that's available to you and check off a box.  If they find 2 CBs to draft with their top 2 picks, so be it.  If they find 2 LBs... again, so be it.   If they find 2 Safeties... then, yeah, you draft them both.  There is NO ONE in the back 7 on this roster that would give me a moment's pause to select a player at that same position in the draft. Literally, not one.  So, I would be looking long and hard at all of those positions and would be very happy to land players at any or all of them.   I'm not striking CB from that list.  There's no reason to.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Writing his name down in ink at this point. 

Eagles LB coach is a bit of a tough sell though.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah... I've heard all about the Alabama pedigree of Ricks and Jobe.   What I don't hear is actually about how well they are playing in the NFL.  There's a reason neither one was drafted and they aren't really showing that that was a mistake.   As depth pieces and ST players, they are fine.   As starting caliber CB in the NFL, they don't have it.   And, it is because they played at Alabama that I don't have much confidence in their ability to improve.  I think they are basically maxed out as they are.  This will be year 3 coming up for Jobe, and he continues to be what he's been.   A nice ST player, but way too grabby as a CB.  Ricks is very similar.   Very handsy and stiff in the hips.  He gets beat, grabs the receiver to stay near by and gets called.  Ringo is the only one I have any hope for, and that's guarded hope.  Even if he does turn into something, that's just one CB spot, and we need more.

Rodgers is a gigantic question mark for me.   Sure, he might be a really good nickel.  But, he's now a full year removed from the game and once more not a guy you can depend on to be the long term solution.  

Obviously there are other positions in the back 7 that need to be improved.  If I am being brutally honest, this team likely needs 6 new players on the back 7.   The order in which they find them doesn't matter to me.  You take the one that's available to you and check off a box.  If they find 2 CBs to draft with their top 2 picks, so be it.  If they find 2 LBs... again, so be it.   If they find 2 Safeties... then, yeah, you draft them both.  There is NO ONE in the back 7 on this roster that would give me a moment's pause to select a player at that same position in the draft. Literally, not one.  So, I would be looking long and hard at all of those positions and would be very happy to land players at any or all of them.   I'm not striking CB from that list.  There's no reason to.

No one is arguing we are fine there, just prioritization

2 hours ago, judunno said:

And corners.

image.gif.517ede2407861fa7e8981284e8d705a7.gif

Just now, ToastJenkins said:

No one is arguing we are fine there, just prioritization

Understood, and I laid out exactly why there should be no prioritization of any back 7 position over the others.   This team's talent has been allowed to erode to epic collapse levels in the back 7.   It will take more than one offseason to fill in the talent.  So, you take the talent that presents itself, and you find putty to fill in the remaining holes until you can find a more permanent piece.  If CB is the first pick, I'd be ecstatic.  CBs are more expensive and harder to find, IMO than safeties/LBs.  And if you have a stud CB, it frees up a lot more creativity in a defensive scheme to cover up for deficiencies elsewhere.  This team desperately needs TALENT on the back 7... any talent will do for me.

35 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Isn’t Moore air raid as well? 

Nice explanation of how the Kellen Moore used the run game at DAL, and incidentally a focus on the counter play that ARZ killed our Penny front with this season.

https://www.chargers.com/video/the-breakdown-kellen-moore-running-game-2023

Here's the offensive version, which seems to have a lot of deep routes like we saw this season (but at least the middle of field is used).

https://www.chargers.com/video/the-breakdown-kellen-moore-passing-game-2023

I don’t think we’re going to draft a LB very high in the draft. I think we’ll sign a vet to pair with Dean. Maybe we add one with a comp 3, I suppose. 

I don’t think we’re going to draft a LB very high in the draft. I think we’ll sign a vet to pair with Dean. Maybe we add one with a comp 3, I suppose. 

Starting to lose hope about getting immediate impact contributors from this draft. Just doesn't look very deep outside of WR.

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It's not that very good LBs can't be found that late in the draft that makes me hate this suggestion.   It's the fact that I don't think that this scouting department/FO knows what to look for in a very good LB.    When was the last time this team had an above average LB on the field?   

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

@Know Life  If you do get motion sickness... podcasts, audio books, etc. can serve a similar purpose.

Good suggestion.  Back when I was living in Denver, schmoopie and I would do the podcast thing when we did the 27 hour drive. 

(I almost did the whole drive once but Kansas got the best of me :lol: )

I think any reliance on Dean is a huge mistake. If anything, they should be adding LB who are legitimate starters and making Dean compete for a roster spot and if he shows he's deserving of a starting role, then he can have it. 

If Dean is looked at as a starter as of today, that tells me there would be no attempt to upgrade over him. The Eagles are saying Dean is good enough, we don't need to bring in a better player (who there are plenty available).

I think they made the same mistake with Blankenship last year. They looked at Blankenship as THE starting safety and rather than bring in someone to push him or even  compete with him, they brought in has been veterans to fill back up positions. For some reason, Blankenhips starting job was safe from day 1 despite only starting 4 games as an UDFA rookie. IMO, Blankenship is a backup/ST/extra safety who is great insurance to plug in if your starters get hurt. But when the Eagles think he's their best safety and injuries pile up, they don't have a guy like him to rely on, they have much worse players. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

And I think that really cheapens the excuse of coordinator turnover…and cheapens the value of Siri.

Coordinators want to be HC.  Nothing stays the same in the nfl.  If you do your job well, you get promoted.  If your team isn’t reaching new heights, you are getting fired.  Coaches rarely stay OCs.

The great HCs have enough of a plan and scheme of their own to combat that.  If you only go as far as your OC takes you, it’s going to be a rough, disappointing ride.

Current state of Eagles

23 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Eagles LB coach is a bit of a tough sell though.  

If they can land Barry and Staley to go along with Fangio, that seems to be pretty strong. 

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's not that very good LBs can't be found that late in the draft that makes me hate this suggestion.   It's the fact that I don't think that this scouting department/FO knows what to look for in a very good LB.    When was the last time this team had an above average LB on the field?   

2017. Bradham had a good year and Hicks was still above average, although not the player he was here in his first 2 seasons.

Get rid of Bradberry and sign Jaylon Johnson

Put Rodgers in the slot

Sign Queen/Hicks and Luvu

Sign a HB to a cheap deal

Draft DE/S/OL/WR

Win.

This is totally serious and not at all a pipe dream.

The Buccaneers plan to interview former Eagles OC Brian Johnson for their vacant offensive coordinator position, sources say. The Bucs had interest last year, but it was clear he would get promoted in Philly. Johnson is also a candidate for the Browns OC job.

3 minutes ago, metal said:

2017. Bradham had a good year and Hicks was still above average, although not the player he was here in his first 2 seasons.

That's what I was thinking.  

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

The Buccaneers plan to interview former Eagles OC Brian Johnson for their vacant offensive coordinator position, sources say. The Bucs had interest last year, but it was clear he would get promoted in Philly. Johnson is also a candidate for the Browns OC job.

Heads are gonna roll when BJ has a great year as OC, gets a HC job in 2025 and his next team gets the 3rds.

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

IMG_4101.jpeg

Well that's just animal abuse :nonono: 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952fn2zy70cqi9ztufs64s

Archived