EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Off topic but small school QB Michael Hiers looks legit , Samford QB 

pro style with ability to make all throws from all over , and different arm angles 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’m just reading the tea leaves. Howie doesn’t like to admit defeat on players unless it’s plainly obvious a guy can’t play (Reagor). 

I happen to believe he was right about Blankenship. He’s fine. The problem was the other safeties sucked. 

Oh, I know. We are all trying to read the tea leaves and that's half the fun of the non-playing season. 

Blankenship is fine/OK/meh/JAG and that's OK, you need those guys on your team. A team can't be totally comprised of all-stars, 1st rounders and such. My issue is the reliance on him being fine/OK/meh/JAG making him the unquestioned starter and not challenging him. By not bringing in competition, they have already set the bar as to how good they want safety to be. His biggest competition was learning how to play defense in the NFL. Blankenship was their only locked in starter at safety from day 1. That's the issue I have. 

If they are saying Dean is a starter, that tells me he's setting the bar as to how good they want the position to be.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Oh, I know. We are all trying to read the tea leaves and that's half the fun of the non-playing season. 

Blankenship is fine/OK/meh/JAG and that's OK, you need those guys on your team. A team can't be totally comprised of all-stars, 1st rounders and such. My issue is the reliance on him being fine/OK/meh/JAG making him the unquestioned starter and not challenging him. By not bringing in competition, they have already set the bar as to how good they want safety to be. His biggest competition was learning how to play defense in the NFL. Blankenship was their only locked in starter at safety from day 1. That's the issue I have. 

If they are saying Dean is a starter, that tells me he's setting the bar as to how good they want the position to be.

My tea leaves and I feel pretty good about this one is that they will address one LB and one S with mid level signings. Higher level guys than last year for sure but not top dollar guys eihter

So now Barry is interviewing for Bears DC.  I'd honestly be happy with Caldwell at LB coach too. Both good choices

18 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Poor Doug. 

And Niners ownership picked him over Harbaugh, terrible GM 

18 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Poor Doug. 

Yup Doug’s getting fired if the jags start off slow 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's not that very good LBs can't be found that late in the draft that makes me hate this suggestion.   It's the fact that I don't think that this scouting department/FO knows what to look for in a very good LB.    When was the last time this team had an above average LB on the field?   

Hicks and then Stu Bradley

24 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Off topic but small school QB Michael Hiers looks legit , Samford QB 

pro style with ability to make all throws from all over , and different arm angles 

Not sure we need to spend draft capital on a backup QB at this point.

Tanner McKee showed enough, imo, to warrant another year of development to see if he can fill that role. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup Doug’s getting fired if the jags start off slow 

Seems like some finger pointing going on over there.  

Where does blame go for eagles offensive issues ? All Johnson ?

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Get rid of Bradberry and sign Jaylon Johnson

Put Rodgers in the slot

Sign Queen/Hicks and Luvu

Sign a HB to a cheap deal

Draft DE/S/OL/WR

Win.

This is totally serious and not at all a pipe dream.

This is a bong dream because a pipe isn't big enough to fit what you are smoking think this will happen.  

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

Where does blame go for eagles offensive issues ? All Johnson ?

65% Sirianni

25% Brian Johnson

10% Hurts

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Hicks and then Stu Bradley

Nigel Bradham was above average in 2017

He's doing to get a DC job. People speculated he could join the Eagles as an assistant. There's no way.

39 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Rodgers was serving an indefinite suspension. Before the season began, the NFL altered their suspension rules around gambling. I believe under these new rules, Rodgers would serve a 2 year suspension.  He bet directly on NFL games, I don’t anticipate him to be reinstated this season. 

I believe that is incorrect. 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

He's doing to get a DC job. People speculated he could join the Eagles as an assistant. There's no way.

For sure 

40 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Rodgers was serving an indefinite suspension. Before the season began, the NFL altered their suspension rules around gambling. I believe under these new rules, Rodgers would serve a 2 year suspension.  He bet directly on NFL games, I don’t anticipate him to be reinstated this season. 

Yea I brought that up at the time and even asked some beat writers in their mailbags, but didn’t get a response. I’m not sure anyone really knows the situation. 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

If he makes eagles LBs look good that's a clear path to HC with full GM power and partial team ownership though.  It's the higher upside career move. 

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

65% Sirianni

25% Brian Johnson

10% Hurts

Some Howie. If he had signed Ertz it would have revolutionized the offense 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea I brought that up at the time and even asked some beat writers in their mailbags, but didn’t get a response. I’m not sure anyone really knows the situation. 

I thought it was reported at the time that the punishment for specifically he and a few others would be less harsh and they'd play next season.  That's why he got signed. 

There was like 1 player in deeper doodoo.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Doubtful.   I don’t see Hurts being a drama queen.  He knows it’s a business - he knows this team collapsed and he knows major changes were/are coming as a result. 

Right... but if you know the problem was the director and not the manager that got fired... that's a morale killer. I have a feeling this is where some of the locker room tension was coming from and why Hurts and AJ started freelancing at times.

1 minute ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Dont forget Nigel Bradham, he was a hammer.

I'm talking about draft picks. 

I forgot Kendricks though who was solid. 

So about 3 in the last 20 years or so. 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

We need a proven vet in there.  People seem to think that drafting a LB in the 1st or 2nd rounds guarantee a "plug & play” player and it’s simply not the case.  About a 50/50 hit rate.  So if we want to immediately improve the LB core, it will need to be a top level vet.

That Edwards guy was pretty solid 👀

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I thought it was reported at the time that the punishment for specifically he and a few others would be less harsh and they'd play next season.  That's why he got signed. 

There was like 1 player in deeper doodoo.

No. They changed it to have set suspension timelines. So some players like Jameson Williams could come back earlier because he only placed a bet at the facility on a non NFL sport. That now is 4 or 6 game suspension, I can’t remember. Rodgers supposedly placed a prop bet on his team, which under the new rules is 2 years suspension. So it comes down to if that report was correct, and if the NFL applies that punishment after the fact. 

He signed before they changed the rule, and Eagles were under the assumption it would be just one year like Calvin Ridley was. 

Archived