EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

The only thing that gives me pause on the Moore hire is the Dallas connection. That kinda stuff just doesn't seem to work out (Jason Garrett to the Giants being the most recent example). Also, he kind of shittalked the city and team at times in Dallas, so there's that.

Apart from that, it's a pretty ideal hire. Years of playcalling experience, scheming guys open, will run plays under center. Solid foundation and still improving. Monumental upgrade from the nonsense we saw last year.

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

The only thing that gives me pause on the Moore hire is the Dallas connection. That kinda stuff just doesn't seem to work out (Jason Garrett to the Giants being the most recent example). Also, he kind of shittalked the city and team at times in Dallas, so there's that.

Apart from that, it's a pretty ideal hire. Years of playcalling experience, scheming guys open, will run plays under center. Solid foundation and still improving. Monumental upgrade from the nonsense we saw last year.

Previous two OCs we got from LAC helped us get to the SB. 

I like that connection. 

24 minutes ago, devpool said:

Exactly, this offense is talented enough to be the best in the league. The work required is actually very minimal, which is why it was so frustrating to watch the clown show we just saw. You can't just have dudes win on talent alone, even if they can. Make it easy for your QB.

He has two great receivers, a solid TE, a very good OL, a great RB if they keep swift. All the offense needs is a good WR3 and TE depth as opposed to most teams

Could have been be a good WR3 already on the roster we just would never know the way they ran the offense.

I see QB under center a lot in Moore's offense. Will be refreshing not being in shotgun formation every play, especially on runs.

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

7/10 on the Reid/Shanahan scale is likely better than what we witnessed in 2023. 

14 minutes ago, Green Monster said:

I see QB under center a lot in Moore's offense. Will be refreshing not being in shotgun formation every play, especially on runs.

O-Line better get ready for that.  More aggressive blocking schemes for Kelce & Co. 

QB under center - the O-Line basically needs to man handle their man - almost like a run down except they can’t move forward.

Regarding Moore…

I think a lot of the offensive improvement in Dallas this year was turnover variance (Dak didn’t have so many interceptions, particularly on dropped passes) and they had a kicker who was automatic this year (inflating the PPG because he simply never missed and made a few long kicks that might not have been attempted in previous years).

I already posted a stat about the Chargers being 8th in EPA before Herbert was injured. And that’s with injuries to Williams and Palmer and to their center. I forget if Allen was injured during that time as well.

So reading through Cowboys/Chargers fans reactions to the news, the biggest knocks were the random jet sweeps to TEs, too many curl routes at the sticks.

I’ve seen football hipsters laud Moore’s creativity, but Steven Ruiz talked about his bland passing game but quality run game. 

Moore is a great hire.  Hopefully we get 2022 Hurts again with him.

8 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Makes sense

The coaches that I think stay are Stoutland, Jason Micheals, and Kevin Patullo. And probably Marcus Brady (unless hired elsewhere) and James Singleton. Seem to me to be the Siri guys. 

That leaves space for QB coach (Nussmeier), WR coach (Lal). Guess Pat White would be the assistant QB coach. 

The only thing I see from Cowboys fans thus far is "look at how much better the offense was after he left." So Dak making less dumb decisions, beating up on bottom of the barrel teams and getting beat down by playoff teams. Yeah, I'm okay with the hire. 

For sure Moore is a better OC than Sirianni, so we have that going for us.  Moore is a good hire.  Our offense should be better with him.  Makes me wonder if Kelce will play another year. 

If the Eagles don't improve the talent on D is just won't matter if the offense improves.  We can use another offensive lineman in the draft but Howie better spend majority of the draft capital on defense.  Picking, trading, doing what he has to do to get tip end talent.  What's the point of paying a QB $50 million a year if your defense can't stop the worst offenses in the league and gets slaughtered by the best?

6 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Great, Fangios defense can’t handle motions  

8 minutes ago, QuinnWR4 said:

Great, Fangios defense can’t handle motions  

That was the week 1 game, so I doubt the team had fully adjusted to Fangio that early.

What I found interesting in that game was it was very close, and Moore had 33 pass attempts and 40 rush attempts (5 for Herbert so close to 50/50).  Then Ekeler got hurt in that same game and wasn’t the same after.  Small sample size, but it looked as if he was attempting balance

8 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Wonder what Jason Kelce thinks about this...

17 minutes ago, McMVP said:

That was the week 1 game, so I doubt the team had fully adjusted to Fangio that early.

What I found interesting in that game was it was very close, and Moore had 33 pass attempts and 40 rush attempts (5 for Herbert so close to 50/50).  Then Ekeler got hurt in that same game and wasn’t the same after.  Small sample size, but it looked as if he was attempting balance

Although I have been vocal about my disappointment in the Fangio hiring, I honestly was just joking on this one. It was funny to me to see a breakdown of our new OC facing our new DC. 

15 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I like Moore.  I just think he should be the HC…

I think Lurie/Howie has set this up nicely should they fire Nick mid season. Fangio has 30+ years and previous HC experience, so the team won’t be lost. With Moore being an up and comer, it gives the Birds an excellent opportunity to evaluate him in specific scenarios and would make for an easy transition.

6 hours ago, Green Monster said:

Might even get a FB on the roster or VanS on the field according to others.

Just now, Waiting4Someday said:

Might even get a FB on the roster or VanS on the field according to others.

C’mon man, don’t be so ridiculous. Everyone knows it will be one of the Jordans. Mailata with that rugby experience?!?! Davis with that power…

After hiring Kellen Moore, I think WR might be need #1 for this team. He lives in 3 WR sets. We can't live with a decoy. Go get Legette, Franklin or McConkey.

10 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

When we bring in ex Chargers OCs good things happen

So, are you suggesting he's been cleansed?

9 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Dallas Cowboys release veteran quarterback Kellen Moore, promote TE from  practice squad - Blogging The Boys

Oh no!   Now I am more confused!

Now that we have a name, I’ll ask again.

Jalen Hurts is exceptional next year and the offense is top 3.  IF that happens, then Kellen Moore WILL be THE top name on every HC list.  No discussion, no debate.

How are you going to feel about him leaving?

9 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I much prefer this picture of Moore than the others.

Archived