EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, bitbased said:

According to Chargers fans, Ekeler really wasn't nearly as effective after injury so they didn't really have a decent run game and their protection was bad because their center was out for the year and had issues with the RG and RT spots. Couple that with WR injuries and they just kind of limped along.

Injuries can happen to any team. A good OC should still be able to squeeze a bit more juice out of a player like Herbert even considering the circumstances. Like I said above, there are players running wide open on some of those plays but Moore apparently prefers pushing the ball down field instead. It's the exact same thing people blamed Hurts for and brushed off the notion that the reads were that way by design. 

• Replies 41k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's simply true.  We saw the bulk of the time there just weren't routes to the middle of the field.  No real reason to even bother conversing with you though, you're by far one of the most pathetic haters of Hurts on this board. 

You are showing a chart of Smith targets, and pretending it means he never entered the middle of the field.

There is a message to be taken from those charts, but its not the one you are taking from them. 

So we have a head coach who does nothing but clap, a DC in his late 60’s and Kellen Moore at OC. 

We became the 2019 Cowboys over night. 

31 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

this is very misleading. That is a route tree on targets only. Smith looks like he did a lot less because he was only targetd on those outside routes. Hurts has a blind spot in the middle of the field. And its only 5 targets. Allen looks like he did a lot more because he had 11 targets, and was actually targeted in the middle of the field.

This DOES NOT imply that Smith doesnt run routes through the middle of the field as taters believe it does. Its more so a perfect illustration of Hurts' blind spot. 

Yea, yea, yea. We already know you're going to default back to your policy of blaming Hurts the minute we start to sputter offensively, regardless of the circumstances. If any of those passes from your videos go incomplete with Hurts at QB, you'd gonna be the first one in here to kill him for "not seeing" the wide open receiver underneath.

Pretty good read on why Moore was out in Dallas. Basically, routes that limited YAC, offenses that faded late in the year, poor sequencing of plays. 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's simply true.  We saw the bulk of the time there just weren't routes to the middle of the field.  No real reason to even bother conversing with you though, you're by far one of the most pathetic haters of Hurts on this board. 

There weren't routes CROSSING the middle of the field.  There were plenty of stop and seam routes in the middle of the field. 

And I'm not the most pathetic haters of Hurts, so it must be true.

Just now, ManuManu said:

Pretty good read on why Moore was out in Dallas. Basically, routes that limited YAC, offenses that faded late in the year, poor sequencing of plays. 

th?id=OIP.iBQ0p-4XSjmHfcWgi6v-awHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

I can’t wait for Bill Belichick on color commentary.

its also pretty funny they say he "could be the most coveted coach next year” when he was literally available this year for 7 or so teams. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Enough about the Eagles, tell us more about Moore. 

15 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

I’m more excited for DeVonta in this offense now than anything. He’s been criminally under-utilized and it’s just going to take someone with some creativity to unlock him. I always said that DeVonta is a 1500 yard receiver with a McVay/Shanahan/Ben Johnson type of mind. I’m not comparing Moore to them, but they’re on the right track now. 

Philosophically speaking, Moore is closer to what we've seen here the last two years than those what those guys try to do. If you go into next year expecting to see a Kyle Shanahan passing attack, you're going to be sorely disappointed. That's not to say Moore can't be successful here, just that it's going to be different schematically from what a coach like Shanahan likes to do.

Interesting that in 2022 the cowboys offense struggled having their receivers get separation when you hear NFL people say he’s elite at scheming guys open. I guess we’ll find out.

15 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

That's two.

One month until the combine.

Six weeks until free agency.

At the risk of sounding too cynical, I think Fangio and Moore are "safe" choices in that they should be high floor options but I'm not sure either one is a slam dunk hire we should be high fiving each other over. Very good chance they're both much better than the guys they're replacing, but I'm not sure that's saying all that much since it'd be pretty hard to get any worse.

Bucs won a superbowl with a ceo HC , Bowles and Leftwich called the game , Bruce was just a cheerleader and team manager 

so it can be done 

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Interesting that in 2022 the cowboys offense struggled having their receivers get separation when you hear NFL people say he’s elite at scheming guys open. I guess we’ll find out.

At this point people will choose to believe the positive or negative based on their biases I think.  The hope is that he's gotten better with each experience success or failure.  I think there's also an adjustment period of learning what works best with Jalen so I'm not expecting game 1 to be the final product either

Well, as long as Moore isn't in love with WR screens, he's sure to be an improvement.

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Now that we have a name, I’ll ask again.

Jalen Hurts is exceptional next year and the offense is top 3.  IF that happens, then Kellen Moore WILL be THE top name on every HC list.  No discussion, no debate.

How are you going to feel about him leaving?

Instead of QB factory, we will be known as the HC factory.

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

Bucs won a superbowl with a ceo HC , Bowles and Leftwich called the game , Bruce was just a cheerleader and team manager 

so it can be done 

Yea, the one thing that excites me the most about Moore and Fangino is that it's clear that they brought in 2 guys to run their schemes. Moore isn't here to run Sirianni's scheme for him and you know he's going to be calling his own plays. Same with Fanginio. He might not be the attacking DC some of us wanted, but the scheme is his and it's not another person trying to run his scheme for him.

The next step is to let these two coordinators bring in players that fit their schemes. Let Fangino bring in LB and S he sees fit. If Moore needs a fullback/H-Back, bring one in. Don't just assume Jack Stoll can do it.

We are seeing changes and they appear to be changes in the right direction.

59 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Im sure he involved a lot of that air Coryell stuff because its such a fit for Herbert's arm ability. 

Is it going to remain a big part of what he does or not? That will be the question.

He also incorporates WCO stuff, and RPOs still so he may go more heavy on that stuff for Hurts instead.

Air Coryell is said to utilize the run game more than air raid so all of that long stuff theoretically is set up by more runs and play action. That will help its effectiveness if we stick with it. 

You also need another fast WR to open up the underneath stuff. Its a lot of vertical routes, opening up intermediate and short stuff. Smith is fast. AJ Brown is probably better utilized on intermediate stuff. Hes fast enough to go deep, but hes not a field stretcher. Someone like Franklin from Oregon has DeSean Jackson speed- would be big for this offense. If Quez ever developed in to a reliable player, we would be set already. Maybe Cedric Wilson as a free agent gives us that other speed threat to make it work. But fact is we need to prioritize a 2nd speed threat in this WR corps this offseason. 

I think/hope Smitty well get to operate out of the slot a good bit. He will be deadly there

7 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

so it can be done 

Arians knows offense and I'm sure had some input on different things.  

Same goes for Nick.  Just because some coaches don't call offensive or defensive plays doesn't mean they just stand around collecting a paycheck. 

3 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Arians knows offense and I'm sure had some input on different things.  

Same goes for Nick.  Just because some coaches don't call offensive or defensive plays doesn't mean they just stand around collecting a paycheck. 

Nick's biggest problem like I said is just not getting enough exposure to different offensive schemes. So I think that can improve over time by diversifying the coaching staff philosophically.

Arians kept it real saying "I didn't really do s***,” when asked about the role he played in Tampa's Super Bowl run. Arians gave all the credit to his players and the staff around him, suggesting that he was merely the face of the hard work that his coaches put in.

while he may be being modest , there is also truth to his statement 

26 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I can’t wait for Bill Belichick on color commentary.

its also pretty funny they say he "could be the most coveted coach next year” when he was literally available this year for 7 or so teams. 

He might actually be good on commentary.  When he was on that NFL top 100 show he wouldn't shut up talking football.   It's just the PC and interviews I think he hates where most of the time they ask dumb questions. It's why he said very little. 

If he were to coach again the situation he goes to has to have a QB.  Realistically the only team he could have got that this year was the Chargers.   I never understood Atlanta with him because while they have some offensive pieces they still don't have a QB.  Also heard he didn't really want to go to the West coast.  Not sure how true that is.

He could take a year and see if something opens up where the team has a QB in place and then possibly he becomes a candidate. 

6 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Nick's biggest problem like I said is just not getting enough exposure to different offensive schemes. So I think that can improve over time by diversifying the coaching staff philosophically.

Makes sense.

7 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

One of the things i like about Moore. Diverse scheme experience

15 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Arians kept it real saying "I didn't really do s***,” when asked about the role he played in Tampa's Super Bowl run. Arians gave all the credit to his players and the staff around him, suggesting that he was merely the face of the hard work that his coaches put in.

while he may be being modest , there is also truth to his statement 

It was his offense. The offense collapsed when Leftwhich completely took over.

Archived