EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

7 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Two entire games pointless for Lowry.  Surely, they need to re-sign him in the offseason 

Oubrre is only one i would think about keeping

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaBirds said:

I get the sentiment but even with all the injuries and bad luck if Tobias even sniffs 10 pts they win. I really think they should just run it back with a replacement for Tobias and give it another shot (obviously some other tweaks as well with the bench etc) 

I think it’s underestimated how much different the team will look with another max player that actually produces. 

But who? Paul george??

always hated the idea of Lebron here but that might be the only way to win one 

• Like 1

The Raptors fan in me is finding it hilarious that Nick Nurse didn't play Hield at all in the 3rd quarter. Nick has always his favourites.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, just relax said:

You quit early.

The writing was on the wall.  

What happens if Kirk Cousins has a great 2024 and 2025 as his last 2 years were (minus the injury)? Do they just "Trey Lance” Penix?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I've been trying to think of some teams that might need CB help who might have LB to trade. I don't think it's too crazy to think that some of the Eagles CB depth could be desireable around the league. Anyone think of teams off the top of their head?

26 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Don’t know depth charts but I could definitely see a player for player swap this season with a guy like Ricks. Maybe get a 7 for someone.

I dont think trading the CB depth, a guy like Ricks, is going to get us a LB that is any better than a Devin White. Probably worse actually.

I think we would need to part with that 3rd round pick we added in the draft to get anyone worthwhile.

54 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Am I too hung up on Jimmy Butler from when he was here but if he doesn't get the max in Miami, any chance the Sixers bring him?

Gotta find someone willing to take a bit less than max to team up with LeBron coming here.

8 hours ago, GoEagles614 said:

Good news guys, we’ll never have to watch Tobias Harris in a 6ers uniform again! 

JL-lSueh6NUuad-5wLIwcRWQl9L1xucYMSXyA8Mq

This is the Sixers we are talking about... they've done dumber things.  

• Haha 1

Tobias Harris was trending on X over here for the whole morning. I knew without looking that the Sixers lost

27 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The writing was on the wall.  

No. It wasn't. For this team, for this season, perhaps. But not for this game.

Fell asleep in the 1st quarter (dreadful basketball), woke up for the letdown in the last couple minutes. Oof. See you in December, see you when the Eagles’ season is through.

IMG_1492.jpeg

• Haha 5

47 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I dont think trading the CB depth, a guy like Ricks, is going to get us a LB that is any better than a Devin White. Probably worse actually.

I think we would need to part with that 3rd round pick we added in the draft to get anyone worthwhile.

Oh I agree with that. You're just going to get a guy that is better than our depth in that case. Maybe if it's for a vet the team wanted to unload you could do better. But yes unlikely to get anything earth shattering.

38 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Agreed.  Furthermore,  I think we have a lot of CBs but I don't equate that to depth.

Any guesses on Rookie Camp QB? Does Tanner McKee take part in year 2? Any UDFA worth a damn to care about for a try out?

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Any guesses on Rookie Camp QB? Does Tanner McKee take part in year 2? Any UDFA worth a damn to care about for a try out?

Grier is here. 

Also want Rocky Lombardi slinging it but not sure that'll happen.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

Grier is here. 

Also want Rocky Lombardi slinging it but not sure that'll happen.

Aren't there rules as far as who can attend when it comes to vets vs. 1st year/2nd year and tryout players? Grier has been in the league for 5 years and is under contract. He isn't the same as a John Ross tryout guy.

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They would’ve gotten slaughtered in this game without Embiid. I love Maxey but he was actually worse than Embiid was in game 5. Just saying if the Sixers weren’t so god awful with embiid off the floor games 1-5 they might have actually won this series. I believe they finished +46 with Embiid on the floor and -47 with him off. And maxey was shooting going into the night 56.5% with Embiid and 28.6% without. You cannot have a 93 type differential. Add on buddy hield plays half as good as he did tonight all series they win. Really this to me was more about the sixers need to get better around Maxey and Embiid. If they got any sort of consistency from Harris, hield, batum this series we’d likely be talking much differently 

It's too late, they've been doubling down on "stars" and veterans for five years, at the end, up against the cap, old and slow.

It took 4 GMs to blow a shot - Hinkie's obsession with big men who made sense last century, BC's disaster, Brown trading Bridges for a long shot, Morey going for Harden then having to dump him. Look for Morey to trade away more draft picks, dooming this team to mediocrity well into the 2030s. I just don't care anymore, NBA is my least favorite sport these days.

Briere is doing it right, patiently build, he's not going to get excited about almost making the playoffs (they make it easily if Hart could keep his pants ziipped), and sticking to the plan.

"Win now usually means win never."

38 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Kellen Moore

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, austinfan said:

It's too late, they've been doubling down on "stars" and veterans for five years, at the end, up against the cap, old and slow.

It took 4 GMs to blow a shot - Hinkie's obsession with big men who made sense last century, BC's disaster, Brown trading Bridges for a long shot, Morey going for Harden then having to dump him. Look for Morey to trade away more draft picks, dooming this team to mediocrity well into the 2030s. I just don't care anymore, NBA is my least favorite sport these days.

Briere is doing it right, patiently build, he's not going to get excited about almost making the playoffs (they make it easily if Hart could keep his pants ziipped), and sticking to the plan.

"Win now usually means win never."

The issue was the sixers after colangelo left allowed Elton brand and Brett brown to control personnel decisions. Neither should’ve been given that for different reasons. Brett brown was a head coach. He had never been FO nor should’ve been given that much power. Especially when he basically was fired a year after making some of the dumbest possible moves. Brand shouldn’t have been cause he also wasn’t ready to step into the job. During that time of brand and brown they managed to trade mikal bridges, trade for butler, trade for Harris, let butler walk, let jj reddick walk, signed Simmons to a max extension, extend Tobias Harris and signed Al Horford. Only move they made that worked out was trading for butler which they still Fed up by allowing him to walk away.

to me, the Sixers biggest issue was the fact they had significant cap space at the end of the 2018-2019 season. That is when you couldn’t afford to F it up. That was your time to construct the roster that could’ve been a championship roster.  it was going to be the last time you had significant cap space for a while. literally every move they made after firing colangelo til firing brett brown during that two year period wound up being a disaster. That is really hard to accomplish.

morey hasn’t done a great job since he’s come on. There’s moves that he’s could’ve made to Make this team more formidable but didn’t. That original harden trade looks like a bust for both the nets and Sixers. Simmons has been a disaster for nets, the picks may wind up not being great for the nets either depending on what happens going forward and harden didn’t work here and was never winning you a title. However i also think Sixers ownership hiring doc before hiring Morey was ridiculous. We know Morey didn’t want doc and ownership  didnt want to fire him sooner cause they didn’t want to pay multiple coaches their buyouts (derek bodner and rich Hoffman went into this before the 2022-23 season in their podcast when they worked for the athletic).

all I know is this, the Sixers have around $65 million in cap space and trade assets to construct a roster that should be competent enough to compete for a title. Now I expect them to F that up because that is in the Sixers DNA. but at least give them credit for not deviating from that plan. They could’ve went all in on this year at multiple times and completely screwed themselves this offseason and going forward by being stuck in contracts to go all in for 2023-24. To me the Sixers future rests on what they do this off-season.  frankly, I don’t trust them, but that is the reality 

Meanwhile, in the NFL, you can turn things around in a year or two with a smart GM.

Howie did it in 2017, then in 2021, I expect the same in 2024.

The team got a lot younger very quickly, Only a few 30+, and most won't be here in 2025 and some will be gone by September.

Parker (31), Uzomah (31), Lane (34), Clark (31), Graham (36), Slay (33), Bradberry (31) - only Lane and Slay will start this season.

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

What happens if Kirk Cousins has a great 2024 and 2025 as his last 2 years were (minus the injury)? Do they just "Trey Lance” Penix?

No they will Aaron Rodgers him.  Then Cousins will pull a Favre. 

2 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

I mean the officiating had been bad the entire series. Not just sixers but each team at times. The Sixers got the short end of the stick in game 2. Was surprised some of national guys pointed out some of the fouls Brunson got (jump back into a defender) was same thing that the Knicks got irritated by a couple years ago with Trae young and harden was getting. They made a rule change to that. The other gripe sixers have and it’s not just this series, it’s been this way all year, was maxey continuously driving to the basket and being hammered but not getting a call. It’s why nurse said it in his presser after the game and he mentioned not just this series or tonight 

Didn’t see this posted last night