EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

He was also 3 in college, so that may be his personal preference number with Nolan being 3

Nolan should be 44, but we got Retzlaff on the team.

• Confused 1

Johnny Wilson signed

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Jeez he even looks big in that photo! He’s going to be one of the camp darlings I think.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Jeez he even looks big in that photo! He’s going to be one of the camp darlings I think.

He can make some amazing catches because of that length, but he can make some that get into his body look hard.  He's going to be a contested catch guy, so he'll need to work that out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

He can make some amazing catches because of that length, but he can make some that get into his body look hard.  He's going to be a contested catch guy, so he'll need to work that out.

His long arms make the push offs look that much worse too.  We'll see if he develops.  Lottery ticket type pick

31 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And. if the offensive player jumps into the defensive player... call nothing.    I'm sick of these plays where the offensive player isn't really trying to score, he's just trying to get a foul called.  Offensive players, just like defensive players, should have to jump straight up if they are going to be jumping into the body of a defender.   That's either a charge or a no call.   It shouldn't be a defensive foul.   If they get the defensive player to jump, great.   But, then jumping into that defender once he's airborne should not be rewarded.  The point of getting the defensive player to leave his feet early is to get a clean look at the basket, shooting while he's on the way down... or to drive past him while he's in mid-air.

I used to love the NBA more than football.

What the game has become is a shame and it shouldn't be because these players today are so good and so skilled.  Yet the way the game is officiated, the way the rules are where you can't touch anyone and the mindset of teams and players to play run and gun, shooting 3's all the time, just kills the product for me.

Plus my team has sucked for the last 5 years so that doesn't help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Keegan has the look of an OL who will be in the league for 10 years. Look test passed.

He was a "red star" guy too 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

He was a "red star" guy too 

Their red star process is great management. 

Rather than the scouts just handing in reports and watching what happens, Howie is empowering them to have a direct say in the end result.  By day three the talent pool has flattened out, so its not hard to just identify and pick the red star players as they move through the rounds.

Further, I am sure they keep track of not only the red star guys they pick, but the ones that go elsewhere.  It's a useful tool to evaluate the scouts' ability to identify gems in later rounds.

• Like 2

Eagles S named Terrell and LB named Shaq.... Howie is testing fate with those.

• Haha 2

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Gabe Hall is making the team.

Still waiting for the league to allow 00.  Moro 0jom0

• Like 2

pixel.gifCB Terrell Burgess, Utah

STRENGTHS

—Versatile cover man who could see time in the slot and at free safety; ideal for a nickel role.

—Tough and quick, which makes him a valuable slot cornerback; fast enough to make cuts underneath and stick through shallow routes.

—Played all over the Utah defense, lining up at cornerback, slot cornerback, box and free safety; even blitzed some from the A- and B-gaps.

—Speed pairs well with his lateral agility and balance to make him a good cover man.

—Bulked up for the combine (202 lbs) and performed well at a higher weight, which will be important for his transition to an inside role full-time in the NFL.

—Great man-coverage instincts; sticky in coverage with good quickness and footwork to stay in-phase throughout routes no matter their depth or distance.

—High-level agility to change direction and work through transitions

WEAKNESSES
—Limited ball production after being asked to play multiple alignments.

—Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type of prospect who doesn't excel in any one area and doesn't have an elite trait.

—Doesn't have the size or play strength to stack up blockers in the run game.

—One-year starter in college who was surrounded by elite defenders, seven of whom are graded as NFL-caliber.

OVERALL

Burgess is a tweener who may be looked at as a safety or a slot cornerback, but we like his tools to perform in coverage no matter where he's lined up. The arrow is still pointing up on his potential, and he might be a better fit in an NFL defense that values versatility and coverage skills than he was in college. 

GRADE: 79

PRO COMPARISON: Jimmie Ward/Justin Evans

Absolutely loved Burgess as a prospect. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Oubrre is only one i would think about keeping

I would keep him for sure.

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Wow our first two picks are complete busts 

The 4 people with Torrey Smith jerseys are happy, along with those owning old Brian Mitchell Starter or Reebok jerseys.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Gabe Hall is my #1 "UDFA that makes the team" choice. Hands down. I would have drafted him from the 5th onward.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Gabe Hall is making the team.

Still waiting for the league to allow 00.  Moro 0jom0

I agree, I think Hall makes it as this summer’s longshot.

4 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Grier is here. 

Also want Rocky Lombardi slinging it but not sure that'll happen.

1) don't know
2) so! many! young and great players with QB somewhere on their resumes.

Those are the players that I type about.  Only 1st and 2nd year players can go to rookie camp?  And that leaves out all the QBs except McKee?

DeJean, VanSumeren - can go to rookie camp.   Someone like Covey can't.  Unless the rules are different.  

Are the Eagles still able to add players who aren't on teams right now to the rookie camp as a tryout or something?

I've mentioned Johnny Langan,  who might be too hurt to play at this point,  but,  played at Rutgers the whole time,  Rutgers not far from Philly.   Starting QB early,  versatile back after that,  TE after that.  draftscout is calling him a FB.  He doesn't get bonus points for great hi ras, but he did a whole lot of different stuff on offense in college.  Kinda fast,  definitely big,  definitely hard to bring to the ground.   Still available and still might be too hurt to play.  didn't do the pro day,  except bench 21. 

I don't really like the Eagles backup QBs.   Pickett is someone who is definitely worth what the Eagles paid for him,  worth more than that,  but it seems like he's worth more somewhere else.  If some rookie QB isn't as good as hoped, somewhere else,  Pickett could be traded there.  If some vet QB gets hurt, and that team is not loving their backup as a starter,  Picket could be traded there.

If the Chargers,  the Steelers and the Eagles were sitting in a room together, or connected by telegraphic means,  they could make some sort of trade.    The Steelers have 3 QBs who are running QBs.   No clue that I could see that the Steelers were going to want to go full blast in the direction of running QB.   Russell Wilson,  Fields,  John Rhys Plumlee.  At the same time,  the Chargers have Harbaugh and Greg Roman,  and a pocket passing starter (with good speed, tall, if that was best for running) that most teams would want.   You would think Greg Roman would want some running QBs, because, over the years,  Kaepernick (with this Harbaugh),  Tyrod Taylor with the Bills,  Lamar Jackson (with the other Harbaugh) - all with Greg Roman OC. 

Russell Wilson,  Justin Fields, Kyle Allen,  John Rhys Plumlee

Jalen Hurts,  Kenny Pickett, Tanner McKee, Will Grier

Justin Herbert, Easton Stick,  Casey Bauman

Is Trotter jr really going to be anything more than a special teamer for a couple seasons? 

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I see Gottlieb Ayedze as the surprise UDFA to make the 53-man roster.

Unrefined and very athletic.  Didn't start to play football until his senior year in high school.  Clay for Stoutland.  

10 OL - Mailata/Dickerson/Jurgens/Steen/Johnson, Hennessey, Becton, Johnson, Keegan, Ayedze

He sounds more like a PS stash given he was a UDFA.   Maybe keep him out during PS so there is less tape on him to hide him from other teams.   But, they really can't afford a lot of rostered players that can't get on the field.   Hunt might have to be one of those guys while he gets stronger and learns his position in the NFL.  I'd rather not cut another player to keep Ayedze.  He's a PS candidate for sure though.

McMahon will wear #62?!   🤯

:ph34r:. (I know what is really means.   )

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Keegan has the look of an OL who will be in the league for 10 years. Look test passed.

He and Zinter were co-captains on the O line.
Michigan has a big-time strength program. Pro level. He’ll stick.

• Like 1

Coach Kelce?  I don't know how great he'd be at coaching, but he's sure a fantastic mentor.

28 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Eagles S named Terrell and LB named Shaq.... Howie is testing fate with those.

Depends on if he's a TERRell or a terrELL 😉

The Australian kid walked to NovaCare. 

• Haha 1