EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, just relax said:

Davis and it’s not close.

Davis at his ceiling is a transformational player for the defense.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, just relax said:

Davis and it’s not close.

There’s only 1 player in the nfl that is what Davis could be: Dexter Lawrence. A dominant, pass rushing NT. And he is AWESOME. One of the most impactful nonQBs in the entire league. He carried hard in 2022.

I would take sexy dexy over Micah (Nolan’s positional gold standard) in a New York minute

• Like 2

This really doesn't matter at all, but it's the dead period so not much to talk about.

Zech McPhearson not practicing at all after tearing an Achilles in August is kind of odd. It feels like Sydney Brown has done more despite tearing an ACL in January. Even if he was healthy, Zech probably had an uphill battle to make the team. 

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This really doesn't matter at all, but it's the dead period so not much to talk about.

Zech McPhearson not practicing at all after tearing an Achilles in August is kind of odd. It feels like Sydney Brown has done more despite tearing an ACL in January. Even if he was healthy, Zech probably had an uphill battle to make the team. 

Win for Mitchell to get his #27

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

There’s only 1 player in the nfl that is what Davis could be: Dexter Lawrence. A dominant, pass rushing NT. And he is AWESOME. One of the most impactful nonQBs in the entire league. He carried hard in 2022.

I would take sexy dexy over Micah (Nolan’s positional gold standard) in a New York minute

Does he have pass rush potential though? He never really showed it in college or in the NFL. I think people just assume he does because he tested well athletically. That doesn't necessarily mean he has pass rush potential, a lot goes into rushing the passer and getting pressure up the middle.

Davis doesn't have remotely close to the potential that Jalen Carter does in my estimation.

3j2tICJ.png

• Haha 9

32 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Does he have pass rush potential though? He never really showed it in college or in the NFL. I think people just assume he does because he tested well athletically. That doesn't necessarily mean he has pass rush potential, a lot goes into rushing the passer and getting pressure up the middle.

Davis doesn't have remotely close to the potential that Jalen Carter does in my estimation.

There's different types of pass rushers. Dexter Lawrence and Vita Vea are NT or A-gap defenders. Their first duty is to clog the middle, close off both A gaps. Their second duty is to press the middle of the pocket. If the QB can't step up, the player has done his job. Actual sacks are a bonus, but crushing the pocket is his job. He has to do it despite being double-teamed on pretty much every play, which is really exhausting work. It takes those guys a couple of years to figure it out at this level. When they do, however, it means that at least one of the other DL is singled up. The combination of a stud NT and a great 3-tech DT, i.e. Carter, can be devastating. Without the NT, however, that 3-tech guy gets the double-team. Aaron Donald comes immediately to mind. His comments about Kelce doubling him are well known. Donald acknowledged that he never did anything against the Eagles.

In no way am I downplaying Carter's potential. I'm just saying that in combination with Davis playing to his potential the two can be destructive in the extreme.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That was what Reddick was always going to do without a new deal. He was always going to skip everything and show up when it is time to cash in paychecks. For him and his agents sake, he better be good this year cause if he’s just OK they aren’t going to get a great deal they want at 31 when he finished 2023 and just had a solid season in 2024. 

As long as he plays 2/3 of their defensive snaps and gets 10 sacks so we get the scond rounder, I don’t care what he does. It would also be nice if Rodgers gets injured again and retires prior to the 2025 season so that pick becomes a high second round pick in 2026. 

3 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Quick poll:

Is it more important for the Eagles if Jordan Davis develops into a really good player or if Nolan Smith does?

I think you can make a case for Nolan Smith. The Eagles could probably be just fine if Davis just ends up being a run stuffing DT as long as Carter is a stud. And they could still keep Milton Williams. But if Nolan Smith doesn't develop, a year from now you could be looking at Bryce Huff and really nothing else at edge on the roster.

If I could guarantee one of the two develops into a stud I'd probably pick Smith right now.

Both are incredible athletes.  It has got to the point where DTs are so valued. For Davis to develop, he needs to help collapse the pocket, stop the run and control two blockers to the extent it defeats holes and controls he gap(s) responsibility.  An occasional sack, hurry and TFL should be expected from that level of draft pick. 

For Nolan to succeed, he needs multiple no hitters and HOF level strikeouts.  Oops, wrong Nolan.  Smith needs Graham and Huff level hurries and at least Graham level sacks, while controlling his gap and edge assignments.  And he needs to exceed Reddick’s coverage skills. 

Frankly, I think they both can reach that level but Davis seems more likely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Quick poll:

Is it more important for the Eagles if Jordan Davis develops into a really good player or if Nolan Smith does?

I think you can make a case for Nolan Smith. The Eagles could probably be just fine if Davis just ends up being a run stuffing DT as long as Carter is a stud. And they could still keep Milton Williams. But if Nolan Smith doesn't develop, a year from now you could be looking at Bryce Huff and really nothing else at edge on the roster.

If I could guarantee one of the two develops into a stud I'd probably pick Smith right now.

Davis reaching his hypothetical ceiling is the best run stuffing DT in the NFL who ALSO gives you something like 8+ sacks per season and forces the OL to double team him almost every play.

So definitely Davis.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

He has the athletic traits to become a good pass rusher. Speed, agility, long arms, power, etc.

So I would say, yes, he does have the potential even if he’s never translated those physical traits into production.

Davis doesn't need to get sacks, he needs to get the edge guys sacks by collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB to move, take his eyes off his targets and run out of room.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Davis doesn't need to get sacks, he needs to get the edge guys sacks by collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB to move, take his eyes off his targets and run out of room.

plus stop the run

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Should be near automatic with the actual RB that's paid for it

gonna put Barkley under center?  Barkley did do the wildcat a lot in NY.

anyone ever been to a Philadelphia Union game?

I just got tickets to take the kids to see Messi on Saturday when Miami comes to town. 

Unaware of the stadium layout and weird rules apparently we will be in the "supporter section" where fans may stand and cheer for the whole 90 minutes, essentially a standing room only "seat" and opposing team colors are prohibited. So the kids can not wear their messi shirts.

Anyone have experience sitting in this area? How rowdy is it, and will the really enforce the no opposing colors rule?

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I just got tickets to take the kids to see Messi on Saturday when Miami comes to town. 

Unaware of the stadium layout and weird rules apparently we will be in the "supporter section" where fans may stand and cheer for the whole 90 minutes, essentially a standing room only "seat" and opposing team colors are prohibited. So the kids can not wear their messi shirts.

Anyone have experience sitting in this area? How rowdy is it, and will the really enforce the no opposing colors rule?

I think Josh Jacobs is the go to guy to ask about soccer colors and possible violence associated with them. 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I think Josh Jacobs is the go to guy to ask about soccer colors and possible violence associated with them. 

oddly enough, aside from no opposing team colors in this section, I read somewhere that red is prohibited in the Union stadium as well. I guess they dont want to anger the Crips?

Davis just said he’s in the best shape of his life.  First round pick after a disappointing first two seasons can never complete their quest to bust-dom without a best shape of their life article in 3rd year camp.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RLC said:

Davis at his ceiling is a transformational player for the defense.

Not a lot of transformational 2 down run stoppers out there.

12 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

oddly enough, aside from no opposing team colors in this section, I read somewhere that red is prohibited in the Union stadium as well. I guess they dont want to anger the Crips?

Seems like a lot of rules for a soccer game. But seeing Messi live will be really cool. 

30 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I was invited to a game one time but, I told my friend it was the ghey and didn't go. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Seems like a lot of rules for a soccer game. But seeing Messi live will be really cool. 

yeah. It makes some sense why these seats were so much cheaper than anywhere else in the stadium.

I was a little disappointed when I found out all the rules. But then I remember that- we are still going to see Messi. So, itll be a memorable experience and we will make the best of it.

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I was invited to a game one time but, I told my friend it was the ghey and didn't go. 

My section is next to the section for the visiting team family. Ill be making it unghey and looking for Messi's wife. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Davis just said he’s in the best shape of his life.  First round pick after a disappointing first two seasons can never complete their quest to bust-dom without a best shape of their life article in 3rd year camp.

If 350 is the best shape of his life then sheesh 

29 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Youre right. Its gonna be ghey. I dont think Messi is playing. Argentina has a friendly on the 14th. He is not likely to be in Philly on the 15th.... son of a B...