EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

13 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Eventually sports contracts have to reset no? These numbers are just absurd anymore. 

They move up with the money that teams are making. As long as the NFL is making $10 billion per year from TV rights, star player contracts are going to be in the hundreds of millions.

And if you think American contracts are huge, soccer is much bigger where you have Middle East oil nations trying to buy influence through the clubs they own without any concern for profitability. Mbappe was making €200 million per season at PSG before leaving as a free agent this summer. Ronaldo is making €220 million per season as a 39 year old playing in Saudi Arabia. :lol: 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lawrence was overpaid but that’s the way it goes for QBs I guess 

Yup 

16 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

He's got more passing yards and better completion percentage than Hurts. Also a higher passing yards/game

He's Sam Bradford with nicer hair.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From McLanes podcast today

"It was, needless to say, an awkward exchange. Hurts was given the opportunity to say something constructive about his coach … and ended up not saying much at all. Maybe he misunderstood the question? I don’t want to make too much of the moment.

But if Hurts has shown anything during his time in Philadelphia, it’s that he’s intentional in almost everything he does.

According to team sources, his handling of this question about Sirianni right before the Eagles parted before the summer disappointed several key figures within the organization.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Who needs soap operas?  We have the Eagles' offseason!   

🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Are there several key figures in the Eagles organization?  There's Lurie, Howie, Nick ........................ who else is a key figure?

The Philadelphia media does not want the team to succeed. 

• Like 1

Just now, WentzFan11 said:

Drama drives clicks and views. Media thrives on those

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Are there several key figures in the Eagles organization?  There's Lurie, Howie, Nick ........................ who else is a key figure?

Julian. 

And Dom. He's got like 5 titles, that's pretty key.

2 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

That's not the medias job.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

They move up with the money that teams are making. As long as the NFL is making $10 billion per year from TV rights, star player contracts are going to be in the hundreds of millions.

And if you think American contracts are huge, soccer is much bigger where you have Middle East oil nations trying to buy influence through the clubs they own without any concern for profitability. Mbappe was making €200 million per season at PSG before leaving as a free agent this summer. Ronaldo is making €220 million per season as a 39 year old playing in Saudi Arabia. :lol: 

I think the real challenge in the NFL is that there is an increasing variance in pay and QBs are taking up a higher percentage of the cap. I think the only Super Bowl winner where the QB took up more than 15% of the cap may be the Chiefs.  Some of these deals are putting the percentage over 20%.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

image.png.a2a2c2bbea26f21dddc6c2e00ecdf7e0.png

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I can't think of a Hurts press conference where he's given anything other than platitudes and spoken in generalities. It's not his style to give deep answers to questions at these things and he does that on purpose. It's probably nothing, but I think everyone knows Nick is on the hot seat this year and is borderline a dead-man walking if they at least don't make the playoffs or win a playoff game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

The Philadelphia media doesn't care one way or the other... they want clicks and $$.   That's all they really care about.   Whatever sells is what they will push.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

I can't think of a Hurts press conference where he's given anything other than platitudes and spoken in generalities. It's not his style to give deep answers to questions at these things and he does that on purpose. It's probably nothing, but I think everyone knows Nick is on the hot seat this year and is borderline a dead-man walking. 

I don't think it's a major deal, but I think there probably is some tension between them for whatever reason. Hurts did the same thing after the season when asked if Nick should be brought back. 

If it is nothing, he needs some PR classes. These are softball questions with easy answers that can be given to avoid speculation. 

• Like 3

McLane also said there was a player last year on the team that had an issue with Hurts who is no longer on the team. Take it FWIW.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think it's a major deal, but I think there probably is some tension between them for whatever reason. Hurts did the same thing after the season when asked if Nick should be brought back. 

If it is nothing, he needs some PR classes. These are softball questions with easy answers that can be given to avoid speculation. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the job of coaching Hurts hard and challenging him has fallen to Sirianni since Steichen left.  Hurts regressed in his play last season -- clearly -- and I have doubts Brian Johnson challenged him, given their long term association with one another.

Kellen Moore is also a soft spoken individual.  Is he capable of getting in Hurts' grill when needed?  That task might still fall on Sirianni.

It's a coach/player relationship; I don't think they have to love each other, but there needs to be mutual respect there to form a successful partnership.  Sirianni took the Eagles job on the assumption he'd be coaching Carson Wentz, and inherited Hurts instead.  It's likely a two-way street that neither guy is the other's ideal partner.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

McLane also said there was a player last year on the team that had an issue with Hurts who is no longer on the team. Take it FWIW.

Clearly Jack Driscoll based on abolutley nothing.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, paco said:

Clearly Jack Driscoll based on abolutley nothing.

Probably Jack Stoll for never getting a pass in his life

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Kelce was a real locker room cancer.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Who needs soap operas?  We have the Eagles' offseason!   

🤦‍♂️

Training Days of Our Lives

• Haha 2

Hurts is certainly not good enough to put up with his drama.

• Like 2

I think the whole thing is ridiculous and people are just bored. For one, Sirianni should've been fired, but they decided not to fire him, and the Eagles brass usually gets really defensive when they do something they know they shouldn't have done or don't do something they should have done, because public appearance is paramount to them. We saw how defensive Howie got when he had to answer about the Reddick trade. So I think they're going to be ultra protective about Sirianni this year.

But Hurts really didn't do much of anything. Imagine getting annoyed not because he said something bad, but because he wasn't praising enough. Talk about being insecure. This is like dating a girl and she asks you how she looks before a date and you say pretty, and then she's pissy all night and then finally the next day you ask wtf is wrong and she blows up at you because you didn't spend an hour gushing about how angelic she looks(yes I've dated a girl like that before).

This whole thing is so Fing childish. Hurts is not an affable personality, he just isn't. And if you don't like that kinda personality then you shouldn't have given him that mega contract. If this is even a thing, and I'm not sure it is, but if it is, I put it entirely on the Eagles brass.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Hurts is certainly not good enough to put up with his drama.

Don't worry.  He's gonna keep the main thing the main thing.

Jeff McLane causing a fake controversy? Must be Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1