EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

image.gif.43bc74e71d96aabd513fc98fceb9d19e.gif

5 hours ago, Texas Eagle said:

Zech looked absolutely terrible last offseason before he got hurt. I would bet Slay, Mitchell, Ringo, Ricks, Maddox and Rodgers are here over Zech. What has Zech done in the regular season that was any better than Ricks/Jobe? If they keep Bradberry then that’s another one. TBD on how they view DeJean too. I like Ricks over Jobe but Eagles may very well have him up around him in my ranking. His only shot to make it would be nickel I’d presume and we have a lot of options there with DeJean, CJ, Hall, Maddox, etc.

I’d say Zech is at best the 6th CB option on the team. This is just my opinion and I respect yours, I’d just be shocked if he made the 53. If he can showcase any talent in preseason maybe we can trade him for a late pick or player/player swap.

This comment confuses me.  Who saw enough of Zech during last off-season to come to any meaningful conclusion?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattwill said:

This comment confuses me.  Who saw enough of Zech during last off-season to come to any meaning full conclusion?

Puzzled me too. 

My "way too early" guesses for Eagles draft pick usage this year.  I'm going to be optimistic and say none of these guys outright bust:

Quinyon Mitchell -- starts at boundary CB opposite Slay.  I wouldn't want to see Bradberry starting over him.

Cooper DeJean -- plays some nickel and some safety.  Could (should) beat out Maddox and/or Blankenship for starting role.

Jalyx Hunt -- makes the 53 but is inactive most weeks.  Heard a podcast with Dicecco where he thinks Hunt will be a special teams ace and get LB snaps in sub-packages on Sundays.  I think that's more likely for 2025, and this season will be developmental for him

Will Shipley -- he was an excellent KR at Clemson; I think he'll be first up in that role.  Will start the season as RB3 but will surpass Gainwell during the season at RB2

Ainais Smith -- will get a chance in training camp to beat out Campbell for slot WR; might also beat out Covey for PR ... just catch the ball on those, please

Jeremiah Trotter Jr -- makes the 53 but plays mostly on special teams in 2024

Trevor Keegan -- will make the 53 as a reserve OG.  He'll get some playing time when Dickerson gets nicked up, provide solid depth

Johnny Wilson -- I don't have high hopes for him at all; would be surprised if he's active on game days

Dylan McMahon -- I suspect he'll be a stash on the practice squad for this season.

49 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Kind of makes sense.  We sort of thought Becton was part of a grand backup plan because they intended to go right side of OL in the draft, the board didn't break that way, and he's now here to buffer that.

Part of that is probably true, but I think Becton is here more as a curiosity for Howie and Stout more so than them banking on him to check a box.  He's a big talent who washed out badly.  There is no plan, nor should there be at this point.  He's HERE because the plan derailed badly in NY.  They are going to coach him up and see how/if he can stick, RT OR RG.

• Like 1

Took me about a week, but I’ve finally caught up.

I wish Sydney Brown would go back to 30, the number he wore in college. That would make things a lot easier. Give Mitchell 21. Or give that to McPhearson and let Mitchell have 27. 

And we’re probably about 8500 hours til the start of the draft. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

The UDFA crop was thin this year, the street FAs are as interesting.

RB:  Milton will compete with Davis-Price and Nicholls for the big back role

WR:  Wilson will be competing with Ngata and S Davis for the big WR role, I think Smith is a lock as the slot WR, no one else has his skill set

TE:  Castles is meh, along with Togiai and Jenkins, Ozumah probably has inside track for TE2 with Calcaterra and Albert O fighting for TE3.

OL:  Anim Dankwah is huge, but doesn't have the athleticism of Mailata or Becton. Gottleib Ayedze is athletic, similar to Keegan but less experienced both might need a year in the weight room. McMahon will compete with Poe, another undersized athletic center.

DL:  Hall v Booker will compete for a 3-4 DE slot, Hall has great size, should fill out to 6'6 310 with athleticism. Thin at DT with Elliss gone (probably knee never checked out), so look for Howie to add someone to stash on the PS

LB:  Hunt and Trotter are probably roster locks, guy I want to see is VanSumeran, great athlete figuring it out.

DB:  Mitchell and DeJean are locks, the real contest is all the 2nd and 3rd year DBs fighting it out, don't think Sam has a shot to stick given numbers. Battle royal between Ricks, Jobe, McPhearson, Hall, Goodrich, McCollum, Garner.

You're talking only about players eligible for rookie camp?  Because some of the things are right if you're leaving out players because they're too old,  but wrong if you include older players.

RB - there might not be a "big back" slot. Maybe, but maybe not, and maybe they get someone else, but maybe not.

WR - I would think that Johnny Wilson would make the team as big WR.
I would think that both Covey and Parris Campbell would play slot before A Smith.

TE - seems about right.  Assuming that Uzomah, who I liked coming out of college, and then didn't pay much attention to, is as good at blocking as is said.

OL - I think the drafted players probably make the 53.   Other players might get practice squad. Usually there are 9 on the 53,  and we pretty much know the starters,  and we have Hennessy, Becton, Keenan and McMahon

DL - Agree in general that someone surprising could make the 53 because the Eagles didn't add a DE as big as Graham or bigger,  or a DT,   More snaps for Ojomo seems right.

LB - generally agree.   In previous years, the Eagles had a lot of ILBs playing special teams.  You seem to be including OLB/edge as LB and not DL.   Maybe the Eagles have 2 of those 3 LB spots as more platoon type spots and not as much 1 starter that plays all the time.  And maybe, the platoon OLB and the platoon ILB could be interchangeable.  The Eagles have a lot of big and fast topras LBs.   At ILB,  assume that Dean is the starter,  wearing the green dot,  and generally,  green dot wearing guy plays every snap.   It's possible that some time in the future, not saying 2024 necessarily,  Cooper DeJean is wearing the green dot.  The things people say about Trotter seem to indicate that he might be a backup to Dean.  The Eagles have a lot of those big/fast/topras OLB/ILB.  Trotter does not seem to be that guy,  but let's give him "he's in the right place" and "cerebral" and "son of well loved Eagle", and that sounds like backup to Dean.   The Eagles have a lot of OLB, ILB who can run around fast while being big and strong too,  seems like there should be platoons with all those big, fast, strong guys.   It's possible that the Eagles didn't draft a player on D who was over 252, didn't bring in a player on D who was over 252,  because maybe that's what Fangio wants to emphasize.  The Eagles have a lot of players in that category - 230 to 255 and fast and topras.   Josh Sweat falls into that size category.   Graham is bigger.  All the OLBs and ILBs are in that size category.  That basically 4 positions with similar size.   Many of those players also have positional versatility on offense.   You're looking at 3 RBs, udfa types,  to be "big back".   I like big back.  But if you look at the DE/OLB/ILB - you find big backs,  faster, stronger, better ras than the RBs you have.  Almost all of them have both offense and defense somewhere on the resume.  I've mentioned VanSumeren a lot and Nolan Smith has better numbers.  The Eagles have been bringing in,  not just this year,   but earlier years,  the "versatile" "freakbeasts" that I like. 

Maybe rookie camp is a good and fun time for everyone to show what they can do,  not just their own position,  but everything they can do.   This years draft class has Q Mitchell,  great RB in HS,  not "big back"  but 4.33 40 is great for a RB.   Cooper DeJean,  school records at both QB and WR,  which is rare.   Jalyz Hunt was a WR and maybe TE in HS.  Has good TE numbers.   Devin White had great RB numbers in HS, and physically,  big and fast and hiras. All of them.     So,  I'm there,  scratching my head about the 53,  and I might want to identify 3 LBs - OLB/ILB/DE - who can play the role of "big back".  The "big backs" that are there now are generally smaller than Barkley.  Maybe ending up keeping an extra LB, and one less RB. 

DB - that sounds basically right.  I would say that the 1st and 2nd round picks are locks.   And the long list of players who were here last year but had pffs in the 40-60 range might not make the 53.  If 2nd year players were going to rookie camp,  I'd expect to see Ringo there too, and I'd call him a lock.  And S Brown is a lock if he is healthy.  Slay is a lock, and I don't think they cut Bradberry after already paying him $9  this year, but he could be traded, for something pretty good.  Reed and CJGJ also locks probably.  Adding Mitchell and DeJean makes the DB area look good now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

He's in line to start IMO. Nakobe Dean hasn't proven a damn thing yet and he can't stay healthy. Both guys are the same size but I just love Trotters instincts and playmaking. Granted, Dean made plays all over at UGA too, but there's just a different feel to Trotters game. Dean was surrounded by an NFL defense. Trotter had some NFLers on D too, but none protecting him the way Dean was. 

Well then why didn’t Trotter go higher? 

23 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Kind of makes sense.  We sort of thought Becton was part of a grand backup plan because they intended to go right side of OL in the draft, the board didn't break that way, and he's now here to buffer that.

Part of that is probably true, but I think Becton is here more as a curiosity for Howie and Stout more so than them banking on him to check a box.  He's a big talent who washed out badly.  There is no plan, nor should there be at this point.  He's HERE because the plan derailed badly in NY.  They are going to coach him up and see how/if he can stick, RT OR RG.

I think the plan is for him to be the primary backup at OT. We really don’t have an option that is better, especially if Steen is the starter at RG. And I don’t really see him as a viable option at guard. Might not even be active on game day depending on how our depth plays out — would the eagles be more confident with Hennessy active and Steen moving to RT in game, with Becton getting the start in games where we know our tackle is out?

4 hours ago, bpac55 said:

What are you implying? He was a rookie at rookie camp. 

He was ... 12 months ago.

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Eagles signed another Australian Rugby player. I think. The only thing that comes up when googling him is a LinkedIn

Did you make a connection with him? He lists his skills as including football.  I am pretty sure he's a lock for the roster.  

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Keegan can wipe his backside with both hands, no problem. 

Meanwhile Shipley looks tiny. 

I think he means amphibious.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Well then why didn’t Trotter go higher? 

Howie did not want him until pick 155. 

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Wow our first two picks are complete busts 

Mitchell will be 27 once Zech gets cut. 

Dejean in 33 is pretty sweet. 33 is an underrated number and I like doubling up his number 3 from college.

Hunt in 58 is badass.

Shipley probably changes numbers but I like him in 39 since I was getting Danny Woodhead vibes from him anyway.

Baby axe man in 54 was meant to be.

As for the rest, whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Gonna be a bit before we see him contribute on D. Looks really skinny.

He does have long arms.  

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Shaq Quarterman is a LB I've always liked. I think he can be an NFL contributor. Just a tryout, but with the numbers at LB, wouldn't mind him joining the 90 for TC.

We are at 89 now with Clark on the IR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

Linval Joseph hasn't retired...

Suh was better than Joseph.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattwill said:

He was ... 12 months ago.

Yea, I'm confused lol. I was wondering about veteran status to attend a rookie camp. Something go over my head?

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

That's why I cringe at some of the talk on here about his coverage role. Right now, he's thin, no definition at 250. If he does what he needs to, he'll be a better body comp 265-270 in a few years. Rusher who can drop, not the other way around.

57 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

My "way too early" guesses for Eagles draft pick usage this year.  I'm going to be optimistic and say none of these guys outright bust:

Quinyon Mitchell -- starts at boundary CB opposite Slay.  I wouldn't want to see Bradberry starting over him.

Cooper DeJean -- plays some nickel and some safety.  Could (should) beat out Maddox and/or Blankenship for starting role.

Jalyx Hunt -- makes the 53 but is inactive most weeks.  Heard a podcast with Dicecco where he thinks Hunt will be a special teams ace and get LB snaps in sub-packages on Sundays.  I think that's more likely for 2025, and this season will be developmental for him

Will Shipley -- he was an excellent KR at Clemson; I think he'll be first up in that role.  Will start the season as RB3 but will surpass Gainwell during the season at RB2

Ainais Smith -- will get a chance in training camp to beat out Campbell for slot WR; might also beat out Covey for PR ... just catch the ball on those, please

Jeremiah Trotter Jr -- makes the 53 but plays mostly on special teams in 2024

Trevor Keegan -- will make the 53 as a reserve OG.  He'll get some playing time when Dickerson gets nicked up, provide solid depth

Johnny Wilson -- I don't have high hopes for him at all; would be surprised if he's active on game days

Dylan McMahon -- I suspect he'll be a stash on the practice squad for this season.

Mitchell ... agreed

DeJean ... don't prematurely bury Blankenship, but I think your assessment on how DeJean will be used is correct.  Maddox's injury history doesn't bode well for him.

Hunt ... agreed

Shipley ... agreed

Smith ... at this point all we can do is speculate

Trotter ... agreed

Keegan ... OG depth on both sides

Wilson --- at this point all we can do is speculate

McMahon ... we need a backup Center, so he may make the 53.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Since when is 252lbs skinny?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Since when is 252lbs skinny?

I'm just looking at his arms. He looks skinny. Might have a bit more weight in his lower half and just needs to work on his upper body. 

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, I'm confused lol. I was wondering about veteran status to attend a rookie camp. Something go over my head?

No ... over mine.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

That's why I cringe at some of the talk on here about his coverage role. Right now, he's thin, no definition at 250. If he does what he needs to, he'll be a better body comp 265-270 in a few years. Rusher who can drop, not the other way around.

He's a converted safety who likes up over WRs on the outside as an Edge. If anything,  he's starting out as a cover LB who can rush. And his rush needs a lot of work. 

• Like 1

Small amount of info on the mystery Australian guy. Almost ideal height/weight/length. Curious about his athletic testing. Much better international roster spot than Matt freaking Leo was. Never understood the point of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bpac55 said:

I'm just looking at his arms. He looks skinny. Might have a bit more weight in his lower half and just needs to work on his upper body. 

34 inch arms will give that illusion. I'm sure the NFL program vs Houston Baptist Church or whatever his school was will help a bit more.