EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

The Phillies own Roberts Suarez. They just killed that dude. 4 consecutive hits to win the game. And one by Castellanos. Please don’t put him in the two hole because he’s not good there but lower in the lineup seems to be better.

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The Phillies desperately need another outfielder that can hit.   2nd and 3rd... 1 out.   Pache and Stubbs come to the plate.   Best chance for runs was a wild pitch.  🤦‍♂️

We already have that guy. His name is Casty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Best fans in football. Now we'll make you'll pay for the most expensive beer in the NFL and the one public practice all while having the worst website coverage across the league.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

If Edmonton doesn’t win this game that’s an all time bad sports moment 

Tkachuk also just had a great save. I only watched the last two minutes but this game was awesome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

People really want Luis Roberts but he’s a lot like Castellanos in the fact he swings at a lot of bad pitches. Usually connects with more homers than Castellanos and he’s a better defender but i can see fans loving him at first then getting annoyed when he does things Castellanos would do and also doesn’t have great durability. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Best fans in football. Now we'll make you'll pay for the most expensive beer in the NFL and the one public practice all while having the worst website coverage across the league.

Pregame tailgating will be even crazier if that's even possible 🤣

This June crap from WIP etc. is just that. They need listeners and viewers so they exaggerate to the extreme.  I doubt Eskins can differentiate between Cover 3 and Cover 1, even more so Cover 4 from Cover 6.  Hell, he probably struggles between Man and Zone, just as an example.  Are we really supposed to believe that the Eagles did any installs in front of the media in a passing camp that would allow for Eskins to differentiate between last year’s offense and this one?  To Hurts, just the calls from Moore using his terminology probably sounds about 95% different.  Add in what Devonta and AJ said about more freedom, 12 personnel where Stoll isn’t the #2, how Barkley is different from Swift and Moore’s tendency to pass more to the backs than Johnson, or Streichen did, his use of motion etc. and Hurts 95% sounds more accurate than Eskin’s 20%. I mean, folks there are only so many routes in the tree. The differences are more nuanced in the slight adjustments and pairing. Kind of hard to spot with Minicamp and OTAs.

The routes that Johnson was calling took to long to develop.   They had the same issue when Nick was calling the plays.  I thought Nick made better adjustments than Johnson.  (Imagine a WR (Nick) not liking the long ball and that was his biggest issue).  Then Johnson being so green, he probably fell into calling what Nick would have with Shane no longer in the room.  Moore is geared more towards the 2.3 second cutoff, so that will be different and frankly, kind of fits with the Lincoln Riley approach that Hurts did well with at OU.  I do want Hurts to continue to progress in his reads and I think Moore’s approach with benefit him.  I may be completely wrong.  I also think Moore’s approach will help Pickett.

Nussmeier is a bit of a wildcard.  Not only does Hurts have a new OC but also a new QB coach. So how he and the other QBs are being taught fundamentals is different and a big focus of that is the 2.3 timeclock.  

Not as apparent in camp, there were tweaks to the running game coaches room this year besides the addition of Moore.  Itsvan was allowed to leave and replaced with Pagnetti.  So half of that room has changed.  How that influences the run game is yet to be seen.  

I am hoping Hurts 95% had some hyperbole but is closer to reality than 20%.  

10 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Hurts is too slow to process

2022 was against a creampuff schedule. 21 and 23 are consistent with the mid qb he has always been

Yup, that really was their year to win it all

9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yup.  For two to four weeks.

Thanks Hollywood Lurie.

5 hours ago, devpool said:

Yup, that really was their year to win it all

Yeah really was the year to win it all last year with the defense.

People on this message board are so detached from reality.

9 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Moore is geared more towards the 2.3 second cutoff, so that will be different and frankly, kind of fits with the Lincoln Riley approach that Hurts did well with at OU.  

And yet, Hurts in his PC had no clue what the 2.3 second clock meant when asked directly by a reporter.  He asked for clarification and said he'd never heard it used before.

I'm not sure how long we should be pretending that Hurts is just being coy or cagey in these interviews, and when it will be time to start worrying that he just doesn't study or learn very well, and relies solely on his athleticism.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The Phillies own Roberts Suarez. They just killed that dude. 4 consecutive hits to win the game. And one by Castellanos. Please don’t put him in the two hole because he’s not good there but lower in the lineup seems to be better.

They said he had only surrendered 2 runs coming into yesterday's game.   :lol:.   Gave up 2 to the Fightin's without even recording an out!   

:flex:   4 straight hits.      Would have been more than 2 runs had they needed them... then again, things change with a one run lead.  Pitchers get tighter in those situations than with 2 or more runs.  One bad pitch equals a tie game from the start of the inning.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Rip willie Mays

I know everyone in the league wears his number in mid April to honor him, but will they do it again today since he passed?

1 minute ago, Peter_Schmuck said:

I know everyone in the league wears his number in mid April to honor him, but will they do it again today since he passed?

I think it would take a little longer to coordinate that league wide.   Maybe Sunday will be Willie Mays day.   I doubt road teams travelled with their Willie Mays jerseys from April.  

12 minutes ago, Peter_Schmuck said:

They were going to have a cardinals giants game in Birmingham Alabama this week to honor Willie mays and the Negroleague. On Monday he said he couldn’t attend so i am guessing mlb probably had some sort of knowledge of his deteriorating health and a league wide plan for if/when he passed. just a guess the league will have a patch for every team to wear for the rest of the year and likely a moment of silence around the league today. 

vv450ri.png

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They were going to have a cardinals giants game in Birmingham Alabama this week to honor Willie mays and the Negroleague. On Monday he said he couldn’t attend so i am guessing mlb probably had some sort of knowledge of his deteriorating health and a league wide plan for if/when he passed. just a guess the league will have a patch for every team to wear for the rest of the year and likely a moment of silence around the league today. 

I expect a moment of silence today...

And maybe on Sunday, there will be a special ceremony for him around the league, maybe including wearing his number league wide.   Sunday was already going to include a bit of focus on him, and the N e g r o leagues.   So, Sunday would be the most logical choice for a proper tribute... and give the league time to get the uniforms set up for all teams.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I know you're familiar with Rob Manfred, so I'm glad you said "guess" instead of saying you're confident .... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think it would take a little longer to coordinate that league wide.   Maybe Sunday will be Willie Mays day.   I doubt road teams travelled with their Willie Mays jerseys from April.  

You took that bait?  :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter_Schmuck said:

Isn't that Jackie Robinson?

RIP Wade Boggs 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Isn't that Jackie Robinson?

It is.  #42.   

Willie Mays has never been so honored... but it would be an interesting thing for MLB to do this Sunday during the tribute to the Ne gro leagues as they play at Rickwood Field.  He was supposed to be honored at that game anyway...  would maybe be a more poignant tribute now.   Mays came to MLB just 4 years after Robinson broke the race barrier.   Mays was 16 when Robinson came to MLB.   He entered himself as a 20 year old and won the ROY (NL) award.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

And yet, Hurts in his PC had no clue what the 2.3 second clock meant when asked directly by a reporter.  He asked for clarification and said he'd never heard it used before.

I'm not sure how long we should be pretending that Hurts is just being coy or cagey in these interviews, and when it will be time to start worrying that he just doesn't study or learn very well, and relies solely on his athleticism.

That would be contrary to everything I've ever heard about him. Always working and studying, extremely coachable, etc. Now whether he learns well is a different story, but his work ethic was his main thing with his legs being second in that.

• Like 3

Since this is the most dead period of the NFL offseason, every so often in my down time I've been going back and watching classic NFL games/moments.

So I'll throw out a random trivia because I forgot about this. In TO's record breaking 20 catch game he had with the Niners, what was unique about that moment/game(aside from his performance)?