EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

17 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Since this is the most dead period of the NFL offseason, every so often in my down time I've been going back and watching classic NFL games/moments.

So I'll throw out a random trivia because I forgot about this. In TO's record breaking 20 catch game he had with the Niners, what was unique about that moment/game(aside from his performance)?

I believe it was Rice’s last game as a 49er if I recall. 

16 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I believe it was Rice’s last game as a 49er if I recall. 

Yep. Unreal that Rice and TO were on the same team.

20 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They’d have had 1 reliable WR as opposed to 0. Desean didn’t stay healthy and it was a pattern at that part of his career. Alshon was done. Hightower and quez weren’t good either nor ready. They would’ve been better because Justin Jefferson is awesome but their wide receiver plan still would’ve been not very good. You can’t have a wide receiving corps of Justin Jefferson,and then a bunch of guys who are hurt , just not ready to play, weren’t very good or just unreliable. 

It's speculative to say what would have happened but I do think one elite WR would have made a big difference. They would have had 3 reliable receivers in Godert, Ertz and Jefferson.  I agree wholehartedly that relying on aging Alshon and Desean was a bad plan.  I don't think they would have been an elite offense with Jefferson but they would have been better.  It likely doesn't make that team a playoff contender.  They were terrible on defense the entire year.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah really was the year to win it all last year with the defense.

People on this message board are so detached from reality.

2022 you buffoon, read the post I responded to

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

And yet, Hurts in his PC had no clue what the 2.3 second clock meant when asked directly by a reporter.  He asked for clarification and said he'd never heard it used before.

I'm not sure how long we should be pretending that Hurts is just being coy or cagey in these interviews, and when it will be time to start worrying that he just doesn't study or learn very well, and relies solely on his athleticism.

Had no clue or didn’t take the bait.  I think Hurts frustrates the beats because he accepts responsibility but like the coach’s son he is, doesn’t react and give them soundbites.  It’s kind of like how Belichek would  handle the press but much more civil.  But every once in a while, BB would expound with football knowledge responses and those were excellent. (Like Stout conferences and it kind of looks like Fangio may do that some.) The whole vibe from the Eagles post Lehigh has been don’t say much that will negatively impact the team.  After the crap the media gave AJ and Devonta last year and the over concentration on more freedom comment in OTAs, I thought Hurts approach was pretty spot on.

i still question his speed on reading defenses, although more motion should help, but I think understanding isn’t an issue for him.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Had no clue or didn’t take the bait.  I think Hurts frustrates the beats because he accepts responsibility but like the coach’s son he is, doesn’t react and give them soundbites.  It’s kind of like how Belichek would  handle the press but much more civil.  But every once in a while, BB would expound with football knowledge responses and those were excellent. (Like Stout conferences and it kind of looks like Fangio may do that some.) The whole vibe from the Eagles post Lehigh has been don’t say much that will negatively impact the team.  After the crap the media gave AJ and Devonta last year and the over concentration on more freedom comment in OTAs, I thought Hurts approach was pretty spot on.

i still question his speed on reading defenses, although more motion should help, but I think understanding isn’t an issue for him.  

Our media sucks - they reap what they sow.  Bunch of blowhards pining for negative crap so they can pinch their little weiners while they write stories for clicks.  All this nonsense about Hurts is just that - nonsense.  Yes, he took a step back last year when he was understandably under a microscope due to the huge contract.  He needs to be better this year.  People writing him off are just doing it because they don't like him for one reason or another.  Less than 2 years ago he was BY FAR the best player on the field IN THE SUPER BOWL.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

It's speculative to say what would have happened but I do think one elite WR would have made a big difference. They would have had 3 reliable receivers in Godert, Ertz and Jefferson.  I agree wholehartedly that relying on aging Alshon and Desean was a bad plan.  I don't think they would have been an elite offense with Jefferson but they would have been better.  It likely doesn't make that team a playoff contender.  They were terrible on defense the entire year.  

I think their offense would’ve clearly been better with Justin Jefferson. Because he’s an awesome wide receiver. But the plan was still going to be rely on three rookie wide receivers, DeSean and alshon who are injury prone as wide receiving corps. Going into the season we didn’t know Justin Jefferson was going to be all pro as a rookie. There was people who loved (or liked) him but he was also the 4th Wr taken (if the eagles selected him) and a lot of people on here thought ruggs was the best WR in that class and lamb wasn’t going to be good. Again i think it’s a bad plan for a team that thought of itself as a contender going into the season to just rely on 3 rookies and 2 guys who are injury prone at WR. Even if Jefferson paid off as a rookie it’s a plan that unless he played like an all pro was simply not good enough and super risky to just assume as a rookie he was going to be all pro to help them be a legit contender. 

• Like 1

Bryce!!! 🤘

13 hours ago, BigEFly said:

I am hoping Hurts 95% had some hyperbole but is closer to reality than 20%.  

He was explaining the stages of learning the new offense, that later in camp and preseason you get rep after rep to master it, that right now it's learning the new inventory. He said the majority of the "inventory" is new, probably 95%. He also said it's been a fun process learning. Roob asked a follow up, that 95% sounds high, are you surprised by such a "wholesale change?" Hurts clarified and said that a lot of things in football are similar, the plays are similar, but how they are coached and terminology are different. He gave examples of what checks and alerts to be called, what positions the players are to be in during the routes, are there adjustments built in, where the coach wants the QBs eyes to look, what the QB timing should be, are receivers reading routes or not. 

Acho and McCoy on their show talked about this and said whenever there's a new coordinator, the plays and techniques are generally the same but terminology, calls, hand signals and such are usually very different.

btw Kellen Moore said about Hurts he's really enjoyed working with him, he's really smart, has a great feel for the game, is one of the premiere QBs in the league. 

• Like 3

Eric Edholm from NFL.com did a story ranking the NFL divisions by overall QB strength.  He ranked them as follows:

1.  AFC North (Lamar, Burrow, Watson, Wilson/Fields)

2.  NFC West (Murray, Stafford, Purdy, Geno)

3.  AFC West (Mahomes, Herbert, Minshew/O'Connell, Nix/Stidham)

4.  AFC East (Allen, Tua, Rodgers, Maye/Brissett)

5.  NFC East (Hurts, Dak, Jones, Daniels)

6.  NFC North (Williams, Goff, Love, McCarthy/Darnold)

7.  AFC South (Lawrence, Stroud, Richardson, Levis)

8.  NFC South (Cousins, Carr, Mayfield, Young)

I feel like I'd swap out #2 for #4 ..... and maybe even swap out #6 for #8.  Goff is the only QB in that division who's done much of anything.

The more I look at it -- NFC West at #2 is extremely lofty.  Never been a big Stafford guy, Murray sucks, Purdy is a system QB, and Geno is Geno.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Best fans in football. Now we'll make you'll pay for the most expensive beer in the NFL and the one public practice all while having the worst website coverage across the league.

Tailgate better!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Eric Edholm from NFL.com did a story ranking the NFL divisions by overall QB strength.  He ranked them as follows:

I feel like I'd swap out #2 for #4 ..... and maybe even swap out #6 for #8.  Goff is the only QB in that division who's done much of anything.

The more I look at it -- NFC West at #2 is extremely lofty.  Never been a big Stafford guy, Murray sucks, Purdy is a system QB, and Geno is Geno.

Burrow is better than Lamar IMO

Stafford is better than Murray IMO

I'd be almost tempted to put AFCE above AFCW. It's Allen, Tua, and Rodgers vs Mahomes and Herbert

Mayfield did pretty well with his new team

Don't think NFCW should be ranked that high

18 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Best fans in football. Now we'll make you'll pay for the most expensive beer in the NFL and the one public practice all while having the worst website coverage across the league.

Drink your beer elsewhere.  The garbage they sell at the stadium is overpriced even at $2.  Tailgate, enjoy your beer in the parking lot, and then go in and just watch the game.   After the game... go out and have some more beer.   Not a big deal to pause the beer for 3 hours.    Use that time to re-hydrate and pay $8-$10 for a bottle of water instead.   

43 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Burrow is better than Lamar IMO

Stafford is better than Murray IMO

I'd be almost tempted to put AFCE above AFCW. It's Allen, Tua, and Rodgers vs Mahomes and Herbert

Mayfield did pretty well with his new team

Don't think NFCW should be ranked that high

I think I'd even put the AFC East above the AFC North. Wilson looks cooked and Watson hasn't done anything with the Browns.

Tua, Allen and Rodgers are better IMO.

7 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

RIP Wade Boggs 

125fbc01-3278-422d-aa01-7a2fdeeb0730_text.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't know how the hell the ACF North is #1.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't know how the hell the ACF North is #1.

People have been overvaluing Lamar and Watson for their entire careers.   Wilson is also still looked at as the guy that was once consistently able to run the offense when they had a dominant running game.  So, in essence, some people view them all as Pro Bowl quality QBs.  They aren't, but that's how they are viewed.

NFC West is over valued, because Purdy is being carried along by a great play caller (when it doesn't matter) and a great group of talent around him.  Take away McCaffrey (or probably even Samuel) and that team takes a massive nosedive.   We saw that last year.   Murray is buoyed by his draft status still, somehow... and Stafford is looked at due to his career as a whole, not who he is now (same as Wilson in the AFC North, frankly.)

AFC West is top heavy with the best QB in the league... a guy that should be better than he plays and then bottom feeders, but that's #1.  

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

🤔. I proposed that a while ago, and the simple solution is this... add a max contract, just like the NBA.   But, there needs to be a payoff for a team that DOESN'T give their QB the max deal.  Not all the QBs are worthy of a max contract.   And saving money at QB should give you some flexibility elsewhere.  Good stewardship of the salaries should be rewarded.

Amon Ra St Brown is a star receiver who’s missed the playoffs multiple times in his career. Lamb has already missed the playoffs in his short career, Waddle has, Chase has, Deebo has, DK has, Mclaurin has, Jefferson has, Ridley has, Wilson has, Evans has, Allen has, Moore has, Kupp has, Davante did early in his career…

AJ Brown is going into his 6th year between 2 different teams. He has never been on a team that did not make the playoffs. The only receiver I can find who has a longer streak is Tyreek

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

So that's what a qb who spends his offseason in the weight room instead of hunting looks like. 

• Haha 1

I’ll preface this by saying this doesn’t include ESP or WIP radio hosts who need any and all types of engagement.

I’m not sure where the notion of negativity drives clicks/views for the rest of the media comes from. Every time they address this question the answer is always they have better numbers when the team is doing good and everyone is excited and wants to read/hear all they can about a good team. A good team brings in the diehards and the casuals. A bad team with negative stories drives away the majority of casuals. 

Look at any team in Philly. When they suck and are bad, attendance to games is down as well as general conversation. When the team is doing good, attendance goes up as well as engagement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’ll preface this by saying this doesn’t include ESP or WIP radio hosts who need any and all types of engagement.

I’m not sure where the notion of negativity drives clicks/views for the rest of the media comes from. Every time they address this question the answer is always they have better numbers when the team is doing good and everyone is excited and wants to read/hear all they can about a good team. A good team brings in the diehards and the casuals. A bad team with negative stories drives away the majority of casuals. 

Look at any team in Philly. When they suck and are bad, attendance to games is down as well as general conversation. When the team is doing good, attendance goes up as well as engagement. 

I think anger drives clicks, but winning drives interest.

Sports radio and social media is definitely more jammed after losses or ugly moments than after wins. People like to vent. I remember a study years ago showed that people are more motivated to complain about a product than they are to praise it.

But that's social media and news articles when it comes to anger. When it comes to the actual team, the league, and the product, winning drives interest there more.

4 hours ago, jsb235 said:

So that's what a qb who spends his offseason in the weight room instead of hunting looks like. 

Real QBs jump off cliffs in HI or get stoned in South America. 

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Negative news sales regardless of the state of the team. Gives things for folks to bish about on the radio and drives traffic to blogs. Literal click bait