EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’ll preface this by saying this doesn’t include ESP or WIP radio hosts who need any and all types of engagement.

I’m not sure where the notion of negativity drives clicks/views for the rest of the media comes from. Every time they address this question the answer is always they have better numbers when the team is doing good and everyone is excited and wants to read/hear all they can about a good team. A good team brings in the diehards and the casuals. A bad team with negative stories drives away the majority of casuals. 

Look at any team in Philly. When they suck and are bad, attendance to games is down as well as general conversation. When the team is doing good, attendance goes up as well as engagement. 

General traffic is highest when the team is flying high. But for an individual beat reporter or show to stand out above their competition?  Nothing tops some negative juice.

Jalen Hurts is going to win MVP this season.

Yeah, I said it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, the Pacers signed Siakam to a four-year max contract. Rats. That was the guy I wanted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

Yeah, I said it.

Marginally Valuable Player

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, just relax said:

Well, the Pacers signed Siakam to a four-year max contract. Rats. That was the guy I wanted.

Wouldn't have been a good fit with the Sixers IMO. He struggles to create his own shot and is not a good 3 point shooter. The two skill sets the Sixers need most.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Wouldn't have been a good fit with the Sixers IMO. He struggles to create his own shot and is not a good 3 point shooter. The two skill sets the Sixers need most.

He's a beast on the boards, a fierce defender, and he competes. He can score without the ball. He's the anti-Tobias.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

They'd never get it past the NFLPA unless they made a concession on the overall share of funds for players increasing or something.

They could try and operate a gentlemens agreement on it but Watson's contract at the Browns amply demonstrated that if an owner sees an opportunity to win, they don't give a rats ass what the other owners or the wider public might think of them.

15 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

It shows that owners/GMs are getting frustrated.  Players should be too.

QB is obviously the most important position in the sport, but it has spiraled out of control.  You have teams with QBs on rookie deals.  And you have teams with veteran, proven starters that obliterate the rest of the cap.  That’s simply the model every team fits into.

It suppresses the money that other players are making, so the players union should be interested in looking into this too.

It’s also an awkward competitive balance.  The only way to really compete is to have Mahomes, who is good enough to obliterate the cap and still win…or to be the 2022 Eagles with Hurts or the 2023 49ers with Purdy on rookie deals.  No other qb in the nfl has proven to be a true winner on a monster deal that limits the team.

42 minutes ago, just relax said:

He's a beast on the boards, a fierce defender, and he competes. He can score without the ball. He's the anti-Tobias.

Not qualities I'd pay a max contract for. You can find guys who compete, rebound, and defend. I disagree with his defense btw I think he's ok, but nothing special. But they need someone who can score off the dribble in playoff games when Maxey is having one of his passive games and Embiid is either injured or is being double and triple teamed. And guys who can shoot and space the floor. The Sixers always seem to falter in the final 5 minutes of playoff games. For as many playoff failures as they had, if they corrected that one flaw they'd probably have a title by now, because in so many big games and even elimination games they found themselves in close games with 5 minutes left in the 4th and their offense just disappeared and they couldn't score.

If you watched the Pacers/Knicks and Pacers/Celtics this year, Siakam really struggled at the ends of games. He'd end up just passing it off and the Pacers relied on Nembhard, McConnell, and Nesmith to be their offense at the ends of games. And those guys aren't exactly offensive stalwarts. But they were able to create offense when Siakam wasn't.

Siakam is a fine player, but the problem is the contract he's getting. He's not a max guy. For that money there are so many other players I'd rather have than him. Including OG Anunoby, who isn't a max player either, but he's a much better defender than Siakam and a better 3 point shooter. Not as good of a player in a vacuum, but fits better. I wouldn't want to max Anunoby either to be clear, just saying if I had to max one with the Sixers it'd be him. But I can list a handful of players I'd take over Siakam. Whether or not the Sixers can get them is another story.

19 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

They'd never get it past the NFLPA unless they made a concession on the overall share of funds for players increasing or something.

They could try and operate a gentlemens agreement on it but Watson's contract at the Browns amply demonstrated that if an owner sees an opportunity to win, they don't give a rats ass what the other owners or the wider public might think of them.

I doubt that's true of all, or even most owners. Any organization is going to have its Al Davises or Jimmy Haslams. Probably Jim Irsay to some extent. That doesn't make them the majority. The problem re Quarterback salaries is once that Genie is out of the bottle (Thanks loads, Jimmy), how to you put it back in or moderate its effect? If a run of the mill Quarterback is worth $30M or $40M, any starting NFL player should be worth more than they're being paid today. Yeah, owning an NFL team must be pretty profitable - see the recent team sale prices - but there has to be a a limit to player payroll.

4 hours ago, Swoop said:

Yeah, I said it.

I think he'll at least be a candidate 

2 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I doubt that's true of all, or even most owners. Any organization is going to have its Al Davises or Jimmy Haslams. Probably Jim Irsay to some extent. That doesn't make them the majority. The problem re Quarterback salaries is once that Genie is out of the bottle (Thanks loads, Jimmy), how to you put it back in or moderate its effect? If a run of the mill Quarterback is worth $30M or $40M, any starting NFL player should be worth more than they're being paid today. Yeah, owning an NFL team must be pretty profitable - see the recent team sale prices - but there has to be a a limit to player payroll.

How easily replaceable is a player at a particular position in terms of the overall success of a team? That determines compensation in an open market. That is what's happening. That's why RBs are getting little and QBs are getting lots. It lines up pretty well from there in terms of the other positions. Anything else becomes a controlled market and is either an antitrust issue or the workplace becomes entirely defined by a union agreement. 

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Michael Jordan is available.

:offtopic:

This has got to be a Cowboys fan:

31 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That reporter makes me think of Wayne's World 2. Is this really the best we can do? She doesn't look like she gives a.....

58 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

How easily replaceable is a player at a particular position in terms of the overall success of a team? That determines compensation in an open market. That is what's happening. That's why RBs are getting little and QBs are getting lots. It lines up pretty well from there in terms of the other positions. Anything else becomes a controlled market and is either an antitrust issue or the workplace becomes entirely defined by a union agreement. 

Counter to that is teams that are built up everywhere else and can just add in a QB to game manage and give the ball to the playmakers

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Counter to that is teams that are built up everywhere else and can just add in a QB to game manage and give the ball to the playmakers

Which is why the rookie qb contract is vital

54 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Livin the dream

6 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Which is why the rookie qb contract is vital

It's definitely an interesting alternative model to team building. Though I'm not sure about the long term success

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

Fn Subaru drivers, they either drive like aholes or they are lesbians. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Fn Subaru drivers, they either drive like aholes or they are lesbians. 

I bet you drive a doorless Jeep always covered in mud from your off-roading adventures with your boyfriend Chad, ****ot!!  

jk - hope you’re doing well! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I bet you drive a doorless Jeep always covered in mud from your off-roading adventures with your boyfriend Chad, ****ot!!  

jk - hope you’re doing well! 

Lmao I do drive a jeep but, it's a Cherokee and I would never date a Chad! Queer! 

I'm doing well and I hope you and your stolen family are doing well also! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, just relax said:

I'm preparing myself for the Sixers to make every move we don't want them to make. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean he's a good back and all but...damn

• Haha 1

Why does Will Shipley just remind me of the dirty kid at school?

• Haha 2