EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

I think it's helpful to hear directly from him. The coaches see him as an outside corner also, and he said he only was tried in the slot on a few plays as a rookie in Indy and then never again. It's not like he's refusing or something, the coaches aren't asking him to do it. They are playing him outside.

I don’t buy it.  Fangio wants flexibility in his secondary and LBs, including the edge rushers.  But outside is his primary position.  At this point he has more experience than Ringo and Mitchell, but they aren’t going anywhere.  Problem for Rodgers is that Fangio expects his DBs, especially the OCBs to provide run support.  At 5’9”, 170, he doesn’t shout run support (except against the cowpads, whose RBs are his size).   So right now he is #4 OCB at best.  But at slot, he may be the #5 NCB/Nickel S.  Maddox, when healthy, likely DeJean, and Hall are ahead of him at nickel and quite possibly McPhearson, if healthy.  Wildcards a CB/S are Bradberry and Garner.   Bradberry’s salary is a sunk cost and he has had down seasons like last year in the past.  We’ll see.  Personally, I think Garner is a step slow in reaction time but a lot of rookie corners are.  Then you have Ricks, slow but decent reaction quickness and Jobe, a pretty damn good ST coverage player.  So with all that competition, I wonder how much of this pronouncement is a sales job to other teams.  

More weird 6ers happenings, it appears as though Tobias and/or his father wrote an article and paid Brett Seigel to put it out there hyping Tobi as the best free agent available and stating he should be getting paid on par with Siakam, OG, and Paul George will get. 

• Haha 7

38 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I don’t buy it.  Fangio wants flexibility in his secondary and LBs, including the edge rushers.  But outside is his primary position.  At this point he has more experience than Ringo and Mitchell, but they aren’t going anywhere.  Problem for Rodgers is that Fangio expects his DBs, especially the OCBs to provide run support.  At 5’9”, 170, he doesn’t shout run support (except against the cowpads, whose RBs are his size).   So right now he is #4 OCB at best.  But at slot, he may be the #5 NCB/Nickel S.  Maddox, when healthy, likely DeJean, and Hall are ahead of him at nickel and quite possibly McPhearson, if healthy.  Wildcards a CB/S are Bradberry and Garner.   Bradberry’s salary is a sunk cost and he has had down seasons like last year in the past.  We’ll see.  Personally, I think Garner is a step slow in reaction time but a lot of rookie corners are.  Then you have Ricks, slow but decent reaction quickness and Jobe, a pretty damn good ST coverage player.  So with all that competition, I wonder how much of this pronouncement is a sales job to other teams.  

IDK man, just going on what he said. The DB coach who Fangio brought with him, said he's an outside corner and was excited about him when previously scouting him on tape. 

But sure, he's a player who has always played on the outside and when told by an interviewer, hey fans are speculating that you'll be playing in the slot he's like, no I'm an outside corner. So he's going to talk about himself and what his experience and skills are. 

Nothing in that indicated he would refuse to be versatile, that he won't do what he's asked. He also talked about how much he likes Fangio's coaching, that they are coached to have freedom to be themselves, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

More weird 6ers happenings, it appears as though Tobias and/or his father wrote an article and paid Brett Seigel to put it out there hyping Tobi as the best free agent available and stating he should be getting paid on par with Siakam, OG, and Paul George will get. 

Well, good for Tobi for trying if the story is true.  But he played himself out of another big pay day.

It would cost a fortune in assets but I'm dreaming of OG or Bridges coming to Philly. Pipe dream I know.  But if I'm smoking I smoke the good stuff.

Bret Brown was a good coach for what the Sixers needed, but that trade was brutal.  Like another Brown selecting Hughes over Pierce.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

Well, good for Tobi for trying if the story is true.  But he played himself out of another big pay day.

It would cost a fortune in assets but I'm dreaming of OG or Bridges coming to Philly. Pipe dream I know.  But if I'm smoking I smoke the good stuff.

Bret Brown was a good coach for what the Sixers needed, but that trade was brutal.  Like another Brown selecting Hughes over Pierce.  

What I don’t know about basketball might not fit on an exoplanet, but at a macro level they were 9th in defense, 14th in offense (I know Embiid only played half the season), they need to upgrade PG and PF.  What they really need is a viable 3rd man to fit with Embiid and Maxey.

The pickings in FA are really slim at PF, but not slim enough to justify bringing Tobias back.  You mentioned OG for SF; I would also target DeAngelo Russell for PG.  You bring in two guys like that and perhaps try to draft for a PF of the future.

They’ve got about 2-3 years of prime Embiid left, so they should be going for it now.  His health is always a wildcard, so if there’s one player in the NBA who actually warrants "load management”, it would be him.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

What I don’t know about basketball might not fit on an exoplanet, but at a macro level they were 9th in defense, 14th in offense (I know Embiid only played half the season), they need to upgrade PG and PF.  What they really need is a viable 3rd man to fit with Embiid and Maxey.

The pickings in FA are really slim at PF, but not slim enough to justify bringing Tobias back.  You mentioned OG for SF; I would also target DeAngelo Russell for PG.  You bring in two guys like that and perhaps try to draft for a PF of the future.

They’ve got about 2-3 years of prime Embiid left, so they should be going for it now.  His health is always a wildcard, so if there’s one player in the NBA who actually warrants "load management”, it would be him.  

Nothing would justify bringing Tobias back. He’s just weak.

• Like 4

No real idea what the Sixers are going to actually be able to pull off.  Right now it feels like a Jimmy Butler trade but just a few days ago it felt like. Paul George sig ING so who knows.  If Morey can't pull anything good off though it's a big time failure since he basically threw away last season to setup for this offseason with so much cap space and draft assets to trade.

18 hours ago, BigEFly said:

I think Garner has been moved to safety. Given his size and average speed, if he can make the reads, it's a better fit.

14 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

I get that its Bryce Harper and hes pretty cool so most things he does are going to be cool. Is this cool though? Seems kinda sus. 

On 6/21/2024 at 4:33 PM, NOTW said:

I think it's helpful to hear directly from him. The coaches see him as an outside corner also, and he said he only was tried in the slot on a few plays as a rookie in Indy and then never again. It's not like he's refusing or something, the coaches aren't asking him to do it. They are playing him outside.

Yes, that's the interview I found interesting. I really like his demeanor and attitude. I think he's the leader at CB 2 right now but that means Ringo and your first rounder sits. A good problem to have but not sure what they do. If you look at trading someone not sure that really makes sense either. This will be an every day discussion during camp. I still think some of Ringo's traits fit in well at S. I'm hoping Fangio throws him in there a bit to see how he looks. 

35 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Yes, that's the interview I found interesting. I really like his demeanor and attitude. I think he's the leader at CB 2 right now but that means Ringo and your first rounder sits. A good problem to have but not sure what they do. If you look at trading someone not sure that really makes sense either. This will be an every day discussion during camp. I still think some of Ringo's traits fit in well at S. I'm hoping Fangio throws him in there a bit to see how he looks. 

It doesn't matter where you find good starters. If your 7th rd project OT beats your your 1st rd tackle for a starting spot and plays like one of the top players at his position, who cares? Meanwhile you have the backups contribute on ST and come in now and then in certain packages. Only some fans get upset because a high draft pick doesn't beat out a player playing at a really high level. 

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It doesn't matter where you find good starters. If your 7th rd project OT beats your your 1st rd tackle for a starting spot and plays like one of the top players at his position, who cares? Meanwhile you have the backups contribute on ST and come in now and then in certain packages. Only some fans get upset because a high draft pick doesn't beat out a player playing at a really high level. 

Dillard was a bust though. I'm not looking at Mitchell/Ringo as that and I know the team isn't either. I also want the best players playing, regardless of contract and draft selection. I'm just bringing up that there's a very real and heavy competition at that spot, maybe a trade would make some sense. Falcons seem a little weak at CB2. They drafted a couple of nice d-linemen. Maybe we could trade for Zach Harrison. 

44 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more judgements like this going forward handed out to players that never would have made that kind of money and as a result see more and more of the top physicians decline to work on high liability athletes. Until then, we may see longer recovery times due to doctors not clearing players. Maragos was injured in his 8th season and was on a contract averaging $2M/year. That verdict is outrageous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

Dillard was a bust though. I'm not looking at Mitchell/Ringo as that and I know the team isn't either. I also want the best players playing, regardless of contract and draft selection. I'm just bringing up that there's a very real and heavy competition at that spot, maybe a trade would make some sense. Falcons seem a little weak at CB2. They drafted a couple of nice d-linemen. Maybe we could trade for Zach Harrison. 

Well the Eagles need to keep their eye on the future too. I'm unsure how long Rodgers' contract is, but assume this is the final year. Slay could decide to hang it up after this season. So you need to be prepared for the next couple seasons as well. 

1 hour ago, greendestiny27 said:

Rodgers has never been a starting CB in his NFL career so far, so it’d be pretty disappointing if the Eagles gave him a boundary CB job over Mitchell.  He’s a 211th overall draft pick who played 6% of the defensive snaps in his rookie year, followed by under 50% of the defensive snaps in years 2 and 3, followed by a year-long suspension his fourth year.  The Colts chose to release him rather than wait a year for him.  He’s made more impact in the league as a KR, to this point.

He should be a depth guy and ST weapon.  He’s only on a one-year deal at $1M so I’m not even sure we can pencil him in on the 53-man roster yet.

Big news for the Flyers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Well the Eagles need to keep their eye on the future too. I'm unsure how long Rodgers' contract is, but assume this is the final year. Slay could decide to hang it up after this season. So you need to be prepared for the next couple seasons as well. 

Rodgers is only signed this year for a cool mil. What a great deal that looks like right now. It would seem Mitchell & Ringo are the corners for the future since Rodgers is not here past this year. 

23 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Big news for the Flyers 

That is amazing news

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Big news for the Flyers 

Just coming here to post this. Huge news. Wonder if that impacts their draft plans at all to try to get a more immediate impact player. I know there's talk of some sort of deal with the Senators in place but no details yet. 

40 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Rodgers is only signed this year for a cool mil. What a great deal that looks like right now. It would seem Mitchell & Ringo are the corners for the future since Rodgers is not here past this year. 

I’d be tempted to trade Rodgers before the season starts if they can get a good return. Ricks is the popular choice of a guy to trade but he’s under contract longer and very likely won’t get a better return than Rodgers. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’d be tempted to trade Rodgers before the season starts if they can get a good return. Ricks is the popular choice of a guy to trade but he’s under contract longer and very likely won’t get a better return than Rodgers. 

Been thinking about this too. I know in the past I mentioned Ringo as a possible trade candidate but Rodgers could make much more sense. One of the more interesting things to watch next month. 

We don't know enough about the secondary yet, who will start, who will look good. 

They were hot garbage last year. Slay will be gone probably after this season. Mitchell should be the future but we don't yet know how he'll play at the NFL level. Rodgers hasn't been a full-time starter and been out for a year. Ringo & Ricks still young and developing. Bradberry was awful last year but solid the prior year.

Before talking about trading away guys, let's see how things go. They're all learning a new system as well.

• Like 1