EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Big news for the Flyers 

Oh man I hope so.  Get him here.

• Like 1

Eagles TE Dallas Goedert eager to play in Kellen Moore's offense, continue career in Philadelphia

Dallas Goedert is nothing if not consistent.

The seventh-year Eagles tight end has tallied no fewer than 46 catches in every season since 2019, but no more than 59. He's enjoyed at least three touchdowns in each of his six seasons. but his career-high total is just five, achieved in his second year in the NFL. Goedert hasn't cracked even 850 yards in a season, but since his rookie year, he's also routinely stayed above 500.

There's no greatness simply in consistency, though, and Goedert is looking to break out this season under new leadership in Philadelphia.

Speaking with The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff Neiburg on Saturday, Goedert expressed excitement at getting to work under new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, who he thinks will be more tight end-friendly than OCs of years past, Jeremy Bergman of NFL.com reports.

"He's been doing a great job of just making the offense make sense and we kind of changed up the reads and different things like that throughout," Goedert said. "I feel like it'll play in favor of the tight end, the quick game a little bit, getting back to the pivots, the sticks that I caught earlier in my career that went away a little bit.

"I'm really excited for how he uses the tight end and how he feels like they can be a big part of the offense and help win games."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Rodgers is only signed this year for a cool mil. What a great deal that looks like right now. It would seem Mitchell & Ringo are the corners for the future since Rodgers is not here past this year. 

Although if Rodgers plays a lot this year and we don’t re-sign him, we may get a decent comp pick if he signs as a starter with someone else next year and Ringo and Ricks could start in 2025. 

CB factory. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Just coming here to post this. Huge news. Wonder if that impacts their draft plans at all to try to get a more immediate impact player. I know there's talk of some sort of deal with the Senators in place but no details yet. 

It won't in terms of trying to win now, b/c Briere has been pretty adamant that they're 2-3 years away - even McDavid couldn't make Edmonton a winner by himself.

However, Michkov's impact could be that by making the Flyers a marginal playoff team going forward, Briere will discount the value of their future 1st rd picks and be more willing to trade for young players with those picks.

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

However, Michkov's impact could be that by making the Flyers a marginal playoff team going forward, Briere will discount the value of their future 1st rd picks and be more willing to trade for young players with those picks.

Love Michkov, but he's a tier down from the McDavid level prospect.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RLC said:

Love Michkov, but he's a tier down from the McDavid level prospect.

So’s everybody else.

1 hour ago, eggs said:

Although if Rodgers plays a lot this year and we don’t re-sign him, we may get a decent comp pick if he signs as a starter with someone else next year and Ringo and Ricks could start in 2025. 

CB factory. 

It's always a possibility, but comp picks always depend on what we do as far as signings during free agency. We have a few guys playing on 1 year deals or on their final year. Currently we have at least 27 players playing for a new contract. Obviously some won't make the final roster.

If Rodgers starts and plays well early, it might be smart to extend him ASAP and then look to trade him after the season if we like the guys behind him. At least they will still be on rookie deals for a while. The trick will be getting him extended at the right time for the best price. Personally, I'd rather do that (assuming he plays well) then to see what happens in free agency. Right now, I feel it's a safe bet Rodgers would figure into the comp formula but we could come out swinging early in free agency and nullify that potential pick.

49 minutes ago, just relax said:

So’s everybody else.

Agreed. Need to keep expectations in check. 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Matvei Mickhov. What a day!

Amazing news!

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Maragos was injured in his 8th season and was on a contract averaging $2M/year. That verdict is outrageous.

Check back after the appeals. I'll bet the final amount is less than half of $43 mil. maybe quite a bit less. Disclaimer - I'm certainly no expert on medical malpractice law. Fair IMO would be let's see, he was making $2 mil./year and his career was shortened by say 3 years and perhaps his post playing prospects were reduced by some amount.

3 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Check back after the appeals. I'll bet the final amount is less than half of $43 mil. maybe quite a bit less. Disclaimer - I'm certainly no expert on medical malpractice law. Fair IMO would be let's see, he was making $2 mil./year and his career was shortened by say 3 years and perhaps his post playing prospects were reduced by some amount.

probably true but you can see why Rothman would want to avoid the risk if thats the kind of money Maragos was supposed to get, how much do they get sued for if someone like Hurts has a malpractice claim. 

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

probably true but you can see why Rothman would want to avoid the risk if thats the kind of money Maragos was supposed to get, how much do they get sued for if someone like Hurts has a malpractice claim. 

Hurts or one of the other big buck players? Hoo boy, that would keep insurance guys up at night. I don't have an answer, maybe have some sort of cap on damages as part of the insurance contract? Or have some sort of excess liability coverage for guys making substantially over the team or league average? The people tasked with figuring stuff like that out get paid a whole lot more than me.

4 hours ago, Cliftoma said:

Just one more...

FB_IMG_1719172126625.jpg

I mean right??!! That what we all want do. Hauk Tua!! Spit on that thang 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Another thing ignorant "fans" will fail to mention the mezt time they want to claim Josh Harris is a bad owner.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Another thing ignorant "fans" will fail to mention the mezt time they want to claim Josh Harris is a bad owner.

Everyone knew they didn't sign Maxey last summer for the cap reasons this summer,  and that maxey would be paid this summer. 

Harris is still a horrible,  horrible owner. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, pangbun said:

Eagles TE Dallas Goedert eager to play in Kellen Moore's offense, continue career in Philadelphia

The seventh-year Eagles tight end has tallied no fewer than 46 catches in every season since 2019, but no more than 59. He's enjoyed at least three touchdowns in each of his six seasons. but his career-high total is just five, achieved in his second year in the NFL. Goedert hasn't cracked even 850 yards in a season, but since his rookie year, he's also routinely stayed above 500.

There's no greatness simply in consistency, though, and Goedert is looking to break out this season under new leadership in Philadelphia.

Speaking with The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff Neiburg on Saturday, Goedert expressed excitement at getting to work under new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, who he thinks will be more tight end-friendly than OCs of years past, Jeremy Bergman of NFL.com reports.

"He's been doing a great job of just making the offense make sense and we kind of changed up the reads and different things like that throughout," Goedert said. "I feel like it'll play in favor of the tight end, the quick game a little bit, getting back to the pivots, the sticks that I caught earlier in my career that went away a little bit.

"I'm really excited for how he uses the tight end and how he feels like they can be a big part of the offense and help win games."

Supporting Hurts 95% comment, "changed up reads and different things like that throughout”.

17 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's always a possibility, but comp picks always depend on what we do as far as signings during free agency. We have a few guys playing on 1 year deals or on their final year. Currently we have at least 27 players playing for a new contract. Obviously some won't make the final roster.

Barring some massive flop, I believe that most of the Eagles signings next year will be eternal.  Depends on how recent draft choices evolve and their capabilities, how the surviving one year players perform*, who develops potential on the PS and developmental players they poach at the end of the season.  But it mainly depends on money and how next season presents. The Cox, Kelce, Graham, Bradberry and Slay hits may make money tight next year and Lane has some cap hit risk as well.

(Howie will have some resources, he always does.)  But, I really don’t see a second day comp pick from any of the Eagles potential free agents next year.  Frankly, I could see some of these players as potential trade candidates at the cut downs for late round conditional picks and that who survives may be the difference between whether Howie can get a trade for them as much as anything if they are a backup.  And with 9 picks next year, I could see Howie grabbing 2026 picks. (Note the Reddick trade for a 2026 pick as support for my speculation.)  

*Unrestricted: Mekhi Becton, Oren Burks, Parris Campbell, Kenneth Gainwell, Brandon Graham (retiring), Matt Hennessy, Fred Johnson, Patrick Johnson, Rick Lovato, Avonte Maddox, Zech McPhearson, Albert Okwuegbunam, Isaiah Rodgers, John Ross III, Josh Sweat, Marlon Tuipulotu, C.J. Uzomah, Devin White, Milton Williams
Restricted: Britain Covey, Mario Goodrich, Josh Jobe

Sweat would get a decent deal. M williams too but probably less

rodgers is a wild card i hope plays well enough to keep

not much else there

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Barring some massive flop, I believe that most of the Eagles signings next year will be eternal.  Depends on how recent draft choices evolve and their capabilities, how the surviving one year players perform*, who develops potential on the PS and developmental players they poach at the end of the season.  But it mainly depends on money and how next season presents. The Cox, Kelce, Graham, Bradberry and Slay hits may make money tight next year and Lane has some cap hit risk as well.

(Howie will have some resources, he always does.)  But, I really don’t see a second day comp pick from any of the Eagles potential free agents next year.  Frankly, I could see some of these players as potential trade candidates at the cut downs for late round conditional picks and that who survives may be the difference between whether Howie can get a trade for them as much as anything if they are a backup.  And with 9 picks next year, I could see Howie grabbing 2026 picks. (Note the Reddick trade for a 2026 pick as support for my speculation.)  

*Unrestricted: Mekhi Becton, Oren Burks, Parris Campbell, Kenneth Gainwell, Brandon Graham (retiring), Matt Hennessy, Fred Johnson, Patrick Johnson, Rick Lovato, Avonte Maddox, Zech McPhearson, Albert Okwuegbunam, Isaiah Rodgers, John Ross III, Josh Sweat, Marlon Tuipulotu, C.J. Uzomah, Devin White, Milton Williams
Restricted: Britain Covey, Mario Goodrich, Josh Jobe

giphy.webp

Any comp picks earned during 2025 free agency would be in 2026.  Howie deliberately acquired 2025 picks in April, already knowing he would not be getting any comp picks next year.

Looking at the roster now, they have their entire offense under contract for 2025.  Most of the defense as well.  The only positions where they could conceivably sign a player for starter money would be maybe Edge and off ball LB....again.

We might end up with some decent comp picks early in day 3.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Remittitur is pretty rare in PA.  That’s cutting the verdict size down.  On issues of fact, judges typically let the judgment of the jury stand.  Appellate issues really don’t tend to go into amounts that much in PA.

Measurement isn’t just lost playing compensation or economic damages (loss of income and future income, medical expenses and future medical expenses and the like).   The real wild card is non economic damages (pain and suffering, disfigurement, loss of consortium and companionship etc.).    There is no cap on compensatory damages in PA malpractice (or any other tort cases) other than punitive damages which are capped at 200% of compensatory damages.  Don’t recall him getting punitive damages.  

Making a decision to try a case as a defendant in Philly is gutsy. Under a medical malpractice policy, because reputation is involved, the customer can decline to settle but the Insurer can cap damages if they indicate a willingness to take a settlement demand and the customer declines.  For example, Maragos may have said he would settle for $10 million and the insurer(s) may have indicated a willingness yet the practice (defendant/client) said no, we want to try the case so the insurer(s) portion gets capped at their share of the $10 million and under this scenario, the practice is responsible for the remaining $33 million.   

Now, this is where the relationship between the team and the medical practice gets a little tricky in this case.  I imagine the team has a contract with the medical practices.  I will bet that contract preserves the practices’ independence in its performance of medical procedures.  There is probably a hold harmless and indemnity clause that protects each to some extent.  The practice may well have argued a statutory employer defense that in essence they were contractors of the Eagles as was the player and in such capacity subject to the worker’s compensation bar from being sued and the Eagles may well have opposed such an argument.   Heck if their is an indemnity clause, there is certainly a possibility that the Eagles presented derivative claims for damages in the claim, one for loss of performance from Maragos during a time they paid him while rehabbing.  Almost certainly a workers compensation lien.  That could have impacted the fractured relationship.

On 6/23/2024 at 12:10 PM, pangbun said:

What will help is Hurts running less. There's really too many weapons for him to run so much

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 7:33 PM, D-Shiznit said:

It all started when Von Miller hosted the "Sack Summit" for pass rushers. Lane and the O-Lineman followed, then DBs, TEs etc.

If it's anything like @EaglePhan1986's sack summit, make sure you stay awake, and keep your chin out of reach.  

• Haha 3