EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

I don’t get it.  Why would the Knicks trade 5 first round picks and a second round pick for a small forward who scores 19.6 per game with 4.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists …..

Can’t you pretty much pick up a guy on the side of the road somewhere for that kind of production?

Having Brunson, Bridges, and retaining OG may make them #2 in the east, and they can compete with Boston. Its an all in move and if it works out, then I guess its worth it.

You cant just pick up a guy on the side of the road for that production. Hes pretty darn good, and you dont even mention his defense which is elite. But that is a ridiculous package for a role player who failed to take the next step last season. Thats a super star package for a guy who is just an elite 3 and D type of player.

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Having Brunson, Bridges, and retaining OG may make them #2 in the east, and they can compete with Boston. Its an all in move and if it works out, then I guess its worth it.

You cant just pick up a guy on the side of the road for that production. Hes pretty darn good, and you dont even mention his defense which is elite. But that is a ridiculous package for a role player who failed to take the next step last season. Thats a super star package for a guy who is just an elite 3 and D type of player.

I’d add they’re trying to emulate the Celtics. Which is fine but I still don’t think your team is capable of beating them. You can compete with them, but I don’t think you’re gonna beat them. I think Tatum and Jaylen Brown are superior to  Bridges and OG. Frankly getting the title monkey off their back is not something that should not be dismissed. Plus OG doesn’t stay healthy. Bridges like you said didn’t take the next step. Imo i think he’s a better no. 3 guy and i don’t know if OG is a no. 2 guy either and isn’t better suited as a third option.

Knicks have the best PG in that matchup but jrue is the type of guy that’s a pain in the ass to play against. He is going to make Jalen Brunson‘s life hard in that series. brunson is still going to get his but he is going to have to work his ass off to get it. Holiday’s value is that he's got the size and strength and enough athleticism still to be a really good defender. Hes underrated in the fact he’s going to make you work extremely hard to get yours

Plus, you’re gonna lose Randle and Hartenstein if you keep OG which means Robinson is starting. Like him but he doesn’t exactly stay healthy. And you have thibs as head coach. I still rather have white and porzingis plus Brad Stevens ability to roster build over the rest of the Knicks lineup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d add they’re trying to emulate the Celtics. Which is fine but I still don’t think your team is capable of beating them. You can compete with them, but I don’t think you’re gonna beat them. I think Tatum and Jaylen Brown are superior to  Bridges and OG. Frankly getting the title monkey off their back is not something that should not be dismissed. Plus OG doesn’t stay healthy. Bridges like you said didn’t take the next step. Imo i think he’s a better no. 3 guy and i don’t know if OG is a no. 2 guy either and isn’t better suited as a third option.

Knicks have the best PG in that matchup but jrue is the type of guy that’s a pain in the ass to play against. He is going to make Jalen Brunson‘s life hard in that series. brunson is still going to get his but he is going to have to work his ass off to get it. Holiday’s value is that he's got the size and strength and enough athleticism still to be a really good defender. Hes underrated in the fact he’s going to make you work extremely hard to get yours

Plus, you’re gonna lose Randle and Hartenstein if you keep OG which means Robinson is starting. Like him but he doesn’t exactly stay healthy. And you have thibs as head coach. I still rather have white and porzingis plus Brad Stevens ability to roster build over the rest of the Knicks lineup.

I agree.  Bridges and Anunoby both looked like guys who were going to become scorers. Both of them failed to take that next step.  They're elite 3 and D guys.  But they're not the level of player Boston has in Tatum and Brown.

12 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

That’s a good analysis to review.  I would also add a couple of variables:

The Bengals have modified their offense the past couple of years in an attempt to reduce the hits Burrow is taking.  He was sacked 32 times in 10 games in his rookie season, then 51 times in 16 games in 2021.  The decrease in air yards the past two seasons is out of necessity, the Bengals not wanting to risk him becoming another Andrew Luck due to the punishment absorbed from long-developing plays.

Burrow has some mobility, but certainly not to the extent the dual threat QBs have.  He needs to get the ball out quickly and distribute because his legs are less adept at getting him out of harm’s way.  His time-to-throw over his career has been 2.65, 2.69, 2.55, 2.54  — Hurts holds the ball much longer by NFL standards: 3.12, 3.11, 2.76, and 3.03.  Throwing off script after the designed play has exhausted generally leads to longer throws — it’s pretty rare to see a QB scramble around, only to throw a short dump off to an outlet receiver.

It can't be over empathised for how bad the Bungles OL has been for Burrow - while they have made steps to make it better and are more middle of the pack ish now, it's still not at the same level as the Eagles OL. Jonah Williams is a bust

11 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

The bummer is this

Bridges told his team that he wanted to be a Knick. Bridges did not ask to be a 76er.

That aside, we can thank our lucky stars Morey didnt give up such a compensation package for a role player. Knicks got fleeced. And we can continue to ponder on the negative impact Morey's relationships with players is having on our team. 

Bridges is a nice player but that's too much.  

The Nova Knicks are trying to get all the Villanova guys like the Eagles did with Georgia. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I always thought it was pretty crazy how vastly different the NFL draft is compared to every other sports draft. NFL picks are meaningful while every sport they are almost meaningless, especially out of the top few. I’m not even sure why anyone would watch the other drafts. 

NBA teams trade multiple 1st round picks because they think they will be playoff teams and the picks will be late 1st rounders, not as valuable. 

While you can certainly find good players in the late 1st all NBA teams care about is lottery picks and mainly top 5-10 depending on how deep the draft is.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Knicks are maybe good for a year or 2 then Brunson or someone else has an injury, the team sucks, somebody else gets hurt, somebody else gets traded, coach gets fired and next thing you know the team isn't very good and Brooklyn gets several top of the 1st picks.

11 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I always thought it was pretty crazy how vastly different the NFL draft is compared to every other sports draft. NFL picks are meaningful while every sport they are almost meaningless, especially out of the top few. I’m not even sure why anyone would watch the other drafts. 

Another aspect of this is maybe that the question isn't how much less valuable the picks are in the NBA, but more so how much more valuable the players are to a teams success.  When you have a 5 man starting lineup each individuals impact is more important than a sport like football when you have 22 starters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

draft today

I know nothing about NBA Basketball or US College Basketball, but today I'll be livid at the Sixers pick for absolutely no reason.  Take a PF or PG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What are the odds of the Sixers making a selection today in Round 1?

They worked out a bunch of 2nd round prospects and maybe 1 or 2 1st round prospects.

I'll put it at about 20% chance the pick is used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

The Nova Knicks are trying to get all the Villanova guys like the Eagles did with Georgia. 

The ultimately fail is that he could have been a sixer this whole time

27 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Who cares about the Sixers - trash owner, trash GM, star player who's never healthy.  Dallas Cowboys of the NBA, only not even that successful.

Pretty much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

The 2018 Villanova team was one of the best college teams of all time. They killed everybody. Every one of them could score, handle, and play defense. It's clear to me, watching the Knicks, that their game translates to the NBA. All their key players are entering their prime at the same time. Those high draft picks don't figure to be high at all for the foreseeable future. At first glance the trade looks like a crazy deal but I don't think it is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The dream trade.  He would be perfect.  Sixers don't have enough to get the deal done though if ir becomes a bidding war.

Pass

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The dream trade.  He would be perfect.  Sixers don't have enough to get the deal done though if ir becomes a bidding war.

Sure they do. Would it be worth it after all they'd have to give up? Nope.

2 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

The ultimately fail is that he could have been a sixer this whole time

Just wait... Zaire Smith will make us all believers one day.

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Dad bod no more for Jason Kelce. He's looking trim

GRBdI7yXcAEmMMR?format=jpg&name=large

This is how you know he's not even going to consider coming back.   He's dropping the extra weight he carried during his career to play center.  it was probably a fair amount of effort by him to get enough calories to carry that weight.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

This is how you know he's not even going to consider coming back.   He's dropping the extra weight he carried during his career to play center.  it was probably a fair amount of effort by him to get enough calories to carry that weight.  

Yup. I never considered him as a candidate to come back. That retirement speech seemed to be the line under his career and he will know how much better he is feeling not on the NFL treadmill

• Like 1