EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

10 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Daryl Morey is a total fraud.  

Last summer it was the Celtics who were already better than the Sixers who went out and got Porzingis and Holiday while Morey did nothing.

This summer the Knicks are well on their way to doing the same thing by getting Bridges and bringing back OG.

The kid from Duke they drafted tonight is a really good player but a terrible fit for the Sixers Kid can shoot the lights out and plays really hard. The problem is, you can't pair Maxey with another short guard as they will get exposed defensively. He is also more of a down the road upside pick than the guy who went with the very next pick who could help right away and Morey seems to be completely unaware that Embiid is 30 and his prime years are limited. He already wasted last season stockpiling picks and cap space and appears to be on the verge of doing the same thing this summer.

I'm not seeing the poor fit when the Sixers need shooters. Pick #16 isn't exactly instant starter expectations to begin with so the immediate pairing with him and Maxey in the back court as starters doesn't seem viable. McCain could very well still be traded though. Too early to tell. Either way not convinced Morey will make the moves to get this team over the top. They have missed their window with JoJo IMO.

36 minutes ago, Miami said:

People are being a little hard on him.  He can stick the J and plays pretty good defense so will help earlier than you think.  Plus he's very unselfish so will find the open man.  A good fit for the Sixers and the new NBA in light of where the Celtics / Knicks are headed.  We still have to build out our 8-10 man rotation but he will be in it.  And there's a chance he is a steal like Maxey was if he starts raining threes.

His lack of length is concerning.   Teaming up two 6'2" guards just doesn't seem like good roster construction.  Is there another team in the NBA with two short guards getting lots of minutes together?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Great, the first article about him is about how many Tik Tok followers he has. They shared more videos of him dancing than they did highlights. An online presence doesn't make you special. 

I know this is a silly concept but it is possible to do both play basketball at a high level and market themselves. This is the new way for these collegiate athletes building their brand and getting NIL deals. Many of the old foggies don't get it because it wasn't possible in the past. So in the eyes of the companies giving him NIL deals while he was at Duke... he was special. To put it in perspective he made $1 million+ last year as a freshman. That's pretty damn cool considering these folks got absolutely nothing in the past (unless it was under the table breaking the rules). So there is method to the madness of social media and TikyTocky for these athletes in this era. Good for him. Hope he can play if he remains a Sixer.

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

His lack of length is concerning.   Teaming up two 6'2" guards just doesn't seem like good roster construction.  Is there another team in the NBA with two short guards getting lots of minutes together?

Cleveland. But again the assumption that he would be on the court with Maxey immediately is likely a bad one.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

'Twas sarcasm.   A team with a diminishing window can't worry about age like that in the draft (though the coverage focused on it).  They need someone who can contribute immediately, not a project.

Then you don't really want a Pick #16 rookie starting for you period if that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if he's packaged up and traded. That window that you speak of is beyond closed at this point.

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Cleveland. But again the assumption that he would be on the court with Maxey immediately is likely a bad one.

If he's not going to play with Maxey, then he's going to get very very few minutes.   

Maxey's minutes have risen every year... last year topping out at 37.5 MPG.  He's likely to top 40 MPG this year.  And in the playoffs, he played 43, 52, 43, 41, and 44 minutes in the 5 games against the Knicks.   So, if he can't be played WITH Maxey, then he'll have to get himself a special pillow to avoid the hemorrhoids coming his way from riding the pine so much.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

Then you don't really want a Pick #16 rookie starting for you period if that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if he's packaged up and traded. That window that you speak of is beyond closed at this point.

I didn't say otherwise.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

If he's not going to play with Maxey, then he's going to get very very few minutes.   

Maxey's minutes have risen every year... last year topping out at 37.5 MPG.  He's likely to top 40 MPG this year.  And in the playoffs, he played 43, 52, 43, 41, and 44 minutes in the 5 games against the Knicks.   So, if he can't be played WITH Maxey, then he'll have to get himself a special pillow to avoid the hemorrhoids coming his way from riding the pine so much.

If he sticks on the team I don't see him getting many minutes at all and those that he does get will be coming off the bench. Remember Maxey himself didn't see the court regularly until year 2. He pretty much only saw the court early because of injuries. Because... you know... that Doc guy.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

If he sticks on the team I don't see him getting many minutes at all and those that he does get will be coming off the bench. Remember Maxey himself didn't see the court regularly until year 2. He pretty much only saw the court early because of injuries. Because... you know... that Doc guy.

Yeah.  15MPG in year 1.   Up to over 30MPG in year 2.   BUT... long term, Maxey appears to be a fixture here.  So, that will limit McCain's future here, unless he can play WITH Maxey.  

So, adding a 6'2" guard to play with Maxey is the only option that means that McCain is a long term piece here.   Maybe he's part of a deal today that couldn't be finalized yesterday (NBA trades infuriate me with their timing and details)... but this doesn't look like a meaningful piece to add to this team... not in the short term... nor in the long term.  

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah.  15MPG in year 1.   Up to over 30MPG in year 2.   BUT... long term, Maxey appears to be a fixture here.  So, that will limit McCain's future here, unless he can play WITH Maxey.  

So, adding a 6'2" guard to play with Maxey is the only option that means that McCain is a long term piece here.   Maybe he's part of a deal today that couldn't be finalized yesterday (NBA trades infuriate me with their timing and details)... but this doesn't look like a meaningful piece to add to this team... not in the short term... nor in the long term.  

Sixer's bench was weak and void of scorers though so maybe he helps there if he sticks around. TJ McConnel type that can actually shoot. Could be time to start looking towards the future though. JoJo can't make it through a season unscathed. We'll see how they spend their money soon.

30 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think you've got it backwards. Maxey's minutes have gone up because they didn't have anybody decent behind him. You don't want him playing 40+ minutes every night. Thirty-five is more like it, leaving 13 for the new guy when Maey sits plus time when the other guard sits. So, low to mid-20s.

Possible to get Markannen via trade and PG-13 as UFA?  Markannen only making $18 million this year.  That would give us a very big front court which could hide Maxey/McCain height deficiencies 

3 hours ago, judunno said:

I know this is a silly concept but it is possible to do both play basketball at a high level and market themselves. This is the new way for these collegiate athletes building their brand and getting NIL deals. Many of the old foggies don't get it because it wasn't possible in the past. So in the eyes of the companies giving him NIL deals while he was at Duke... he was special. To put it in perspective he made $1 million+ last year as a freshman. That's pretty damn cool considering these folks got absolutely nothing in the past (unless it was under the table breaking the rules). So there is method to the madness of social media and TikyTocky for these athletes in this era. Good for him. Hope he can play if he remains a Sixer.

I'm not saying he can't do both and yea, I get that it's part of the modern athlete. Point I was making was when you you want to see highlights or a breakdown of why it's a good pick, 20 TIk Tok videos of him dancing isn't what I care about. 

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Sixer's bench was weak and void of scorers though so maybe he helps there if he sticks around. TJ McConnel type that can actually shoot. Could be time to start looking towards the future though. JoJo can't make it through a season unscathed. We'll see how they spend their money soon.

Sure.  The bench sucked.   Hard to worry about bench scoring when you don't have a starting 5 either.  Cart before horse again.

2 hours ago, just relax said:

I think you've got it backwards. Maxey's minutes have gone up because they didn't have anybody decent behind him. You don't want him playing 40+ minutes every night. Thirty-five is more like it, leaving 13 for the new guy when Maey sits plus time when the other guard sits. So, low to mid-20s.

Ok... and that still leaves 10+ minutes where they are on the floor together.  Not ideal, imo.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure.  The bench sucked.   Hard to worry about bench scoring when you don't have a starting 5 either.  Cart before horse again.

hes not even a bench scorer. there are shooters, and there are scorers. Hes just a shooter. He doesnt have a well rounded scoring arsenal. He is just an off ball shooter. He shoots from out deep where hes not being defended. And he shoots off of screens- assisted. He doesnt create his own space off the dribble at all. He is really good finishing at the rim. The concern there is whether he can get there with his slowness, and his size, against NBA defenders. It doesnt seem like it.

42 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Ok... and that still leaves 10+ minutes where they are on the floor together.  Not ideal, imo.  

A better option than Kyle Lowry, though.

and taller!

1 minute ago, just relax said:

A better option than Kyle Lowry, though.

and taller!

You would hope to get a better option than a 38 year old at #16 in the draft.  But, frankly, I'm not sure that's true.   We'll see.  Lowry was a stud at one time.  He's just old now.   But, he's also a very physical 6' 0" guard.   His game translated to the NBA.  We'll see if McCain's does.

• Like 1