EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Where are you getting the stat that he was in the top 5 in the redzone?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/redzone-passing.htm

This says he was tied at 10 with Sam Howell

The original stat wasn’t a red zone stat, it was TDs against top 10 defenses. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, just relax said:

A better option than Kyle Lowry, though.

and taller!

No a rookie is not a better option than Kyle Lowry for a team to contend. 

12 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Nick nurse will play his boy Lowry

Morey is telling people he thinks that McCain was a top 10 talent....  yet he left a guy that a lot of people around the game had as a legit top 10 talent sit there and fall to the Lakers.  A guy with more length, and would add versatility to the lineup.  

Not that it necessarily means anything, but did any rankings include McCain in the top 10?  Anywhere?  

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Morey is telling people he thinks that McCain was a top 10 talent....  yet he left a guy that a lot of people around the game had as a legit top 10 talent sit there and fall to the Lakers.  A guy with more length, and would add versatility to the lineup.  

Not that it necessarily means anything, but did any rankings include McCain in the top 10?  Anywhere?  

I don't look at that much nba draft stuff mostly just tankathon. They didn't. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

No a rookie is not a better option than Kyle Lowry for a team to contend. 

That’s a ridiculous statement

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Nick nurse will play his boy Lowry

No.  Lowry retired, right?  I ask because anyone with an ounce of self respect would have, the way he played.

Just now, Alphagrand said:

No.  Lowry retired, right?  I ask because anyone with an ounce of self respect would have, the way he played.

No. And he is expect to sign with Philly again this season. Nurse will play him. He plays his guys. Even that horrible Dowtin inexplicably got minutes over Council. Dowtin was a Nurse guy.

1 hour ago, GoEagles614 said:

That’s a ridiculous statement

Let me clarify, a rookie that the Sixers have selected 16th overall in what is looked at as an overall weak draft is not a better option than Kyle Lowry for minutes in a meaningful game for a team that is trying to contend. 

Lowry played really well in stretches for the Sixers during the Knicks series.  For a rotation guy coming off the bench to be a second unit ball handler he's a better option for a contending team than a rookie taken 16th overall.  Plus there is a very stark difference in the level of experience and leadership a rookie brings compared to a long time veteran and NBA Champion who is also like an extension of Nick Nurse but on the court.

5 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure.  The bench sucked.   Hard to worry about bench scoring when you don't have a starting 5 either.  Cart before horse again.

Either way they need to address both. They weren't going to get a starter with the #16 pick in a weak draft unless they package it away. More likely to get a bench guy at that pick. McCain was arguably BPA with highest upside. But they have their work cut out for them. I just can't see them competing with Boston anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, judunno said:

Either way they need to address both. They weren't going to get a starter with the #16 pick in a weak draft unless they package it away. More likely to get a bench guy at that pick. McCain was arguably BPA with highest upside. But they have their work cut out for them. I just can't see them competing with Boston anytime soon.

Knecht was the clear BPA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

hes not even a bench scorer. there are shooters, and there are scorers. Hes just a shooter. He doesnt have a well rounded scoring arsenal. He is just an off ball shooter. He shoots from out deep where hes not being defended. And he shoots off of screens- assisted. He doesnt create his own space off the dribble at all. He is really good finishing at the rim. The concern there is whether he can get there with his slowness, and his size, against NBA defenders. It doesnt seem like it.

McCain can certainly create his own shots and that will only improve. He's a 3 level scorer with some PnR skills and a quick release. I'm intrigued if they don't move him considering outside of Maxey the Sixer guard play is rather basura. 

Just now, judunno said:

McCain can certainly create his own shots and that will only improve. He's a 3 level scorer with some PnR skills and a quick release. I'm intrigued if they don't move him considering outside of Maxey the Sixer guard play is rather basura. 

No he can not. He got ISO'd about 14 times I believe was the number last season. And on those attempts, struggled. It appears he wasnt asked to do it because he cant.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

Knecht was the clear BPA.

Knecht is 23, can't defend, lead for feet. I can see why they passed.

Just now, judunno said:

Knecht is 23, can't defend, lead for feet. I can see why they passed.

His upside is limited. But McCain has none either. Knecht can do more. Is a wing, where this team has been devoid of talent for years. And age is not a deterrent for a a contending team who actually needs players ready to play now- which Knecht is. 

McCain can get some minutes and will do ok if you can get him spot up 3s. But thats all he does. Knecht was clear BPA, and was a better fit for the team.

9 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

His upside is limited. But McCain has none either. Knecht can do more. Is a wing, where this team has been devoid of talent for years. And age is not a deterrent for a a contending team who actually needs players ready to play now- which Knecht is. 

McCain can get some minutes and will do ok if you can get him spot up 3s. But thats all he does. Knecht was clear BPA, and was a better fit for the team.

Can their 2nd round pick play PF?  I’ve seen him listed at 6’8 to 6’10, but he’s listed as a center.  Surely he’s a PF as a professional?  I thought they should have drafted PF in the 1st round, honestly — at least as far as roster construction 

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Nah McCain can shoot off the dribble. If it's a pick for trade bait or future development, McCain was the BPA. As far as fit... the Sixers have so many holes right now whoever they bring in is a fit lol. I'm still not convinced McCain will stick.

Can their 2nd round pick play PF?  I’ve seen him listed at 6’8 to 6’10, but he’s listed as a center.  Surely he’s a PF as a professional?  I thought they should have drafted PF in the 1st round, honestly — at least as far as roster construction 

This draft was super weak unfortunately :) 2nd Round pick Bona probably won't even be on the bench :)

Theoretically, on defense, yes. On offense, youd need the 5 man to stretch the floor because Bona doesnt. Hes a rim runner. Alley oops, and rim protection. 

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

Nah McCain can shoot off the dribble. If it's a pick for trade bait or future development, McCain was the BPA. As far as fit... the Sixers have so many holes right now whoever they bring in is a fit lol. I'm still not convinced McCain will stick.

He needs screens. He can not just dribble to his shot.