EMB Blog: 2024 Camps and Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Godfather said:

Stock up draft picks for Manning in 2 years

Word on the street is Big Dom reached out to Prime and Shedeur Sanders and asked them to act like fools to make his draft stock drop so the Eagles have a better chance at getting him in the 2025 draft.

6 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Positions that Jaylx Hunt is going to play this season: OLB, ILB, SS, CB, NT, P, 

Howie needed one of these to keep the bench warm for the defensive starters  

image.jpeg.30ec0b51fe7f4efd9be73278c9795abc.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Word on the street is Big Dom reached out to Prime and Shedeur Sanders and asked them to act like fools to make his draft stock drop so the Eagles have a better chance at getting him in the 2025 draft.

I'll pass on him. Maybe the Giants will take him

Just now, Godfather said:

I'll pass on him. Maybe the Giants will take him

Yea, I have no interest in him. Travis Hunter on the other hand....well, now I don't know if there's a need or room for him on the roster. I'm just bummed at the way Deion is handling things out in Colorado. I've been a big supporter of his for a while and deep down love his coaching style. As of late however, he's just really being an ass. Going about things the wrong way IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

You're correct; on second view he's calculating what a move up to #39 would cost.  I thought he was on the phone with CAR after, but it was WAS for sure.

The Rams paid an incredibly stupid price for the Panthers’ pick. No one would have topped that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

I think Howie had a plan to trade up to #16, but when the first 14 players off the board were all offense and #15 was Latu, the need to trade up evaporated.  He said they had first round grades on 24 guys -- and somehow I doubt someone like Bo Nix was among them.  If you still have 5-6 guys you're comfortable taking at #22 the choice to stay put becomes obvious.

You see before he made the pick at 22 that he was mulling something, which was probably the trade down to 29 from the Lions that Dallas took two picks later.  He had so many guys with first round grades, he probably could have had one at 29 and the #9 pick in the third to boot. Awfully tempting, but he passed up the deal, and took the highest rated player. Probably a less criticized decision near term. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lurie said they have 9 or so years left on their lease. 

Sounds about right.  Vet started in 1972... ended in 2002.  30 years.   So, 2003 to 2033... that's 9 years to make 30.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eggs said:

You see before he made the pick at 22 that he was mulling something, which was probably the trade down that Dallas took two picks later.  He had so many guys with first round grades, he could have had one and the #9 pick in the third to boot. Awfully tempting, but he passed up the deal, and took the highest rated player. 

Like he said, didn't want to get too cute.

Got the two players he wanted, 7 other players for depth in a thin draft, and a 3rd, 4th, 5th in a deeper 2025 draft.

2 minutes ago, eggs said:

You see before he made the pick that he was mulling something, which was probably the trade down that Dallas took two picks later.  He had so many guys with first round grades, he could have had one and the #9 pick in the third to boot. Awfully tempting, but he passed up the deal, and took the highest rated player. 

I think Mitchell has a chance to be one of the best CBs in the NFL within a few years, so I was very happy to see the Eagles take him at #22.  The good news watching his film analysis is he played off-coverage a lot at Toledo, so the Eagles' penchant for playing the CBs off won't hamper him at all.

• Like 1

That draft video should have been about 20 minutes longer. Use footage from formal meetings at the combine, more footage of trade negotiations. They didn’t even include Keegan, Wilson and McMahon getting picked. 

A few takeaways…

* The Eagles were talking as high as 34 to get DeJean. When the Rams traded up for Fiske, the Eagles assumed it was for DeJean. Love the excitement when they saw it was for an old-arse DT. 

* Cool seeing the red star meeting and hearing the scouts go to bat for the players they like.

* Howie seemed pretty excited to to be able to lock up Smith and Trotter.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, eggs said:

You see before he made the pick at 22 that he was mulling something, which was probably the trade down to 29 from the Lions that Dallas took two picks later.  He had so many guys with first round grades, he probably could have had one at 29 and the #9 pick in the third to boot. Awfully tempting, but he passed up the deal, and took the highest rated player. Probably a less criticized decision near term. 

I think he made the right pick.   Mitchell was the best option at 22.   If they trade back... maybe they get Arnold... or maybe they get jumped by the Ravens who went for Wiggins, and the Eagles are left with Wiggins instead.   Yes, nice to have that 3rd rounder, but it's better to have your top choice at CB.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Most improved NFL team

NFL team that got worse

Worst team in the NFL in 2024

1. Chargers - I could make an argument for the Cardinals.  I think Harrison makes Murray more effective but I really don't trust him or the coach. 

2. Bills - Gettng rid of Diggs wasn't a bad move but not taking Xavier Worthy was one. I think Coleman may turn out to be a good player but big bodied WRs tend to take time to develop unless they have above average speed.  He does not.  

3. Broncos, it has to be the Broncos although I am not sure the Panthers will be much better than last season. 

9pm start time? Boooo!

4 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

9pm start time? Boooo!

It is awful.  All because of Bucks-Pacers game.  Just make that one the 9 PM games since those are midwest teams anyway.  

7 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

9pm start time? Boooo!

Why would they want a game between TWO East coast teams to start at a reasonable hour?   

2 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Most improved NFL team

NFL team that got worse

Worst team in the NFL in 2024

Falcons.  Despite the awful 1st round pick that is a loaded team with a new HC and a legit capable QB to go along with one of the most talented offenses in the league.  Also playing in one of the worst divisions in the league. 

Vikings.  They have talented enough WRs that a rookie QB could do well but I think you lose a top 12-15 QB and go with a rookie that chances are you will likely be worse that next season.  

Hard to pick any team other than the Panthers at this point.  I think Titans could really surprise some people by just how bad they will end up being.  Giants also feel like a team if they get off to a bad start with that hothead of a HC that they could just quit on him and the season gets really ugly really early, again.  

Another thought on draft pick trading...

Let's use DeJean as example.  For simplicity, let's say the Eagles had him rated as the 25th best player on their board.  Day 2 rolls around and for pick #40, Washington is asking for compensation equivalent to pick #35. 

Is it correct to spend #35 resources for the 25th best player on your board, even if you're are seemingly overpaying for the draft pick to acquire him?

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Falcons.  Despite the awful 1st round pick that is a loaded team with a new HC and a legit capable QB to go along with one of the most talented offenses in the league.  Also playing in one of the worst divisions in the league. 

Vikings.  They have talented enough WRs that a rookie QB could do well but I think you lose a top 12-15 QB and go with a rookie that chances are you will likely be worse that next season.  

Hard to pick any team other than the Panthers at this point.  I think Titans could really surprise some people by just how bad they will end up being.  Giants also feel like a team if they get off to a bad start with that hothead of a HC that they could just quit on him and the season gets really ugly really early, again.  

Bills. Titans. Cowboys I think take a step back. 

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Let's use DeJean as example.  For simplicity, let's say the Eagles had him rated as the 25th best player on their board.  Day 2 rolls around and for pick #40, Washington is asking for compensation equivalent to pick #35. 

Is it correct to spend #35 resources for the 25th best player on your board, even if you're are seemingly overpaying for the draft pick to acquire him?

Depends if your 26-30th best players are available or if that’s your last of the first round/best grades.

Leaving the draft without a 3rd or spending a next years 2nd would’ve been strange. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The answer is simple... 

If it works out, its a brilliant move.
If it fails, the GM making that trade is a moron and he got fleeced by his counterpart.  

But, yes... especially if it's a player at a premium position.

5 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Depends if your 26-30th best players are available or if that’s your last of the first round/best grades.

Leaving the draft without a 3rd or spending a next years 2nd would’ve been strange. 

That's a good point.

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

It's less about number and more about tier. If your 1st round cutoff is 25 and he's the last one left, hell yes you make the move.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I refuse to believe any of these teams give any sort of consideration to the mock drafts/big boards out there on the internet.  Unless this tweet is referring to aggregating the various big boards of scouts and GM within a single organization.  

Probably more to project OTHER team’s picks than inform their own…

There are just so many draft websites now that it probably does give you a decent idea of where to expect most players to be picked.

17 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

If you don't like the alternatives nearly as much at 50 and 53 then yes. And you feel really good about him being a blue chip player. Because if the player turns out to be what they think he can be then he'll be more than worth the price paid. And if you didn't trade for him even if you didn't like the projected guys available at 50 and 53 and he turns out to be a stud elsewhere you'll be kicking yourself for it.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, I have no interest in him. Travis Hunter on the other hand....well, now I don't know if there's a need or room for him on the roster. I'm just bummed at the way Deion is handling things out in Colorado. I've been a big supporter of his for a while and deep down love his coaching style. As of late however, he's just really being an ass. Going about things the wrong way IMO. 

Agreed. Not sure what he's thinking. He better be focused on competing in the Big12 and less about the other sheet