EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

I'm basing my thoughts on Ostman vs Avery only on reporting.  There were daily reports of Ostman making play after play to go along with numerous mentions of Avery not doing a thing and then being injured.

It's tough to say this year because we didn't see any preseason.  But if we are to take the words we read at face value, Ostman clearly had the superior camp and deserved the spot.

There were several posts by beat reporters who are lousy at reporting line play about Ostman bull rushing.  I don’t take much the beats say at face value.  Ostman  and Avery are similar in size.  (Small for DEs). In real games with chips and handoffs and the like small DEs relying on bull rushing aren’t going to win in the NFL.  Avery’s game is speed and stunts.  Lousy for tweeting how an OL is progressing and probably not run a lot in front of the reporters anyway.  My point is our eyes were limited to tweets and short blurbs.  Little film.  Heck Fluff with Fran and Dave showed warm ups and maybe some position drills.  So a little ST practices but no real 7 on 7s or 11 on 11.  So I cannot agree Ostman had a superior camp and deserved a spot. 

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, greend said:

DVRing the game. Will watch later and skip the kneeling. Sorry if you guys view it as political but it's horseshit. Also will speed through commercials and the "black national anthem" if it is played. Will run this game as a test but I'm not sure whether I will continue to watch it as the season progresses.

DVRs are useful things. I record most everything, including the local news. I've seen enough trial lawyer ads to last a lifetime plus some. It's nice to be able to watch a 30 minute broadcast in 20 minutes or so.

29 minutes ago, RLC said:

Did you feel this way when 80% of the league used public funds (ie, political money) to build stadiums?

What kind of ridiculous question is this? 

23 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

NFL Sunday Ticket- $295

True to form I spent a few minutes on the phone with Direct TV, to wheel and deal.  I basically asked to get it for free.  They denied, but I got a 12 month deal to lower our package rate from $65/month to $35/month.  Which is a savings of $360.   Which is obviously a net savings of $65.  

Anyone else needing to make the purchase, I would suggest you make the call.  

I'm batting like .500 when it come to these kind of things.  

Don’t you have a kid in college? Do the student deal, $100 for all year 

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

There were several posts by beat reporters who are lousy at reporting line play about Ostman bull rushing.  I don’t take much the beats say at face value.  Ostman  and Avery are similar in size.  (Small for DEs). In real games with chips and handoffs and the like small DEs relying on bull rushing aren’t going to win in the NFL.  Avery’s game is speed and stunts.  Lousy for tweeting how an OL is progressing and probably not run a lot in front of the reporters anyway.  My point is our eyes were limited to tweets and short blurbs.  Little film.  Heck Fluff with Fran and Dave showed warm ups and maybe some position drills.  So a little ST practices but no real 7 on 7s or 11 on 11.  So I cannot agree Ostman had a superior camp and deserved a spot. 

I don't think they are similar at all TBH.  Avery is 6 ft 250.  He's very squatty.  Ostman is 6-3 260.  I want to say Avery is more quick twitch and leverage whereas Ostman is strength and motor.  I think Ostman has a very Trent Cole game to him, at least his college tape reminded me of him.  It's why I've been so high on him since they brought him in.  I think he gets called up at some point this season.

46 minutes ago, greend said:

DVRing the game. Will watch later and skip the kneeling. Sorry if you guys view it as political but it's horseshit. Also will speed through commercials and the "black national anthem" if it is played. Will run this game as a test but I'm not sure whether I will continue to watch it as the season progresses.

I plan that, at least through November so I can skip the political ads too.  If Troy or Buck are doing the game, I use the mute button. Advantage of DVR is you can do your own replays and stop views during the game.  I haven’t purchased game pass yet this year.  

26 minutes ago, espinozamotor said:

I do not have directv services since spectrum is the way to go in my area but i used my niece's college info to get nflst for $99 for the whole season. been doing it for 2 years. 

That is fraud and criminal.  Technically theft of close to $200 so could get jail time.  

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I don't think they are similar at all TBH.  Avery is 6 ft 250.  He's very squatty.  Ostman is 6-3 260.  I want to say Avery is more quick twitch and leverage whereas Ostman is strength and motor.  I think Ostman has a very Trent Cole game to him, at least his college tape reminded me of him.  It's why I've been so high on him since they brought him in.  I think he gets called up at some point this season.

Ostman was 6022 and 253 at his pro day.  Avery was 6004 and 248 at the Combine. Ostman ran a 4.8 and Avery a 4.59.  Not a huge difference in size. 

52 minutes ago, RLC said:

Using public money to build stadiums is 100% political. They're doing it to be re-elected. Most publicly financed stadiums provide negative ROI, so it's a bad economic decision anyway.

I would think it's pretty difficult to calculate ROI on something like a stadium. Sure, there's direct revenue - rent and such - vs. direct costs is straightforward. I would think it's more difficult to accurately calculate the addition taxes paid by hospitality businesses as a result of having a stadium. Some of the expenses - maintenance companies for instance are going to be paying wage and other taxes. If the stadium doesn't exist neither do those contracts and jobs. I'm sure those indirect items are manipulated to draw the conclusion the entity doing the calculating is paid to make.

16 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

That is fraud and criminal.  Technically theft of close to $200 so could get jail time.  

Meh.  I’ve been getting it at full price (around $300) for a few years now and only end up watching about 6 games.  (Other games are either televised or we go out to watch it)  

This year I made sure to turn off the "auto renew” but it didn’t matter:  They just tried to hit my credit card for the 1st payment.  I sent them a cancel message so i hope that’s as far as it goes.  Not something I should need to jump through hoops to cancel. Imo.  

So I don’t really feel sorry if someone gets a "better deal”.  I averaged about $50 a game when I had them.  :lol:

9 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I would think it's pretty difficult to calculate ROI on something like a stadium. Sure, there's direct revenue - rent and such - vs. direct costs is straightforward. I would think it's more difficult to accurately calculate the addition taxes paid by hospitality businesses as a result of having a stadium. Some of the expenses - maintenance companies for instance are going to be paying wage and other taxes. If the stadium doesn't exist neither do those contracts and jobs. I'm sure those indirect items are manipulated to draw the conclusion the entity doing the calculating is paid to make.

Aren't we technically still paying for the Vet? I could be wrong but thought that was the case.

8 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

While there is some public benefit through additional taxes, it's far less than the investments. There are lots of studies on this. The biggest problem is that the team owner keeps the stadium and doesn't share enough of their profits back to the city/state. If they did that, then the the math could work. Owners never give that up though.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Using public money to build stadiums is 100% political. They're doing it to be re-elected. Most publicly financed stadiums provide negative ROI, so it's a bad economic decision anyway.

Are they kneeling during the National Anthem? Are they having their own "national anthem"? That has 0 relevance to me. 

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Aren't we technically still paying for the Vet? I could be wrong but thought that was the case.

Not sure. I live about 20 miles from Philly but haven't been there except to go to the airport in 20+ years. Not a bright lights big city kinda guy.

3 minutes ago, greend said:

Are they kneeling during the National Anthem? Are they having their own "national anthem"? That has 0 relevance to me. 

It affects your daily life more than a song should.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

While there is some public benefit through additional taxes, it's far less than the investments. There are lots of studies on this. The biggest problem is that the team owner keeps the stadium and doesn't share enough of their profits back to the city/state. If they did that, then the the math could work. Owners never give that up though.

Nobody is going to pay more rent than they have to. The tricky part is to charge $5/month less than would cause an owner to pull an Art Modell and leave town.

1 minute ago, eglz1 said:

Nobody is going to pay more rent than they have to. The tricky part is to charge $5/month less than would cause an owner to pull an Art Modell and leave town.

Yup. So an owner cries poor and tells the public that if they don't get government help, they'll leave the city. Politicians, knowing that people really care about sports, particularly football, then give money to the ownership group to finance the stadium. The owners then get to profit off that investment.

But hey, people really like to "stick to sports" when it's convenient for them.

2 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

It affects your daily life more than a song should.

And yet still has 0 relevance to what I posted.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Yup. So an owner cries poor and tells the public that if they don't get government help, they'll leave the city. Politicians, knowing that people really care about sports, particularly football, then give money to the ownership group to finance the stadium. The owners then get to profit off that investment.

But hey, people really like to "stick to sports" when it's convenient for them.

Just for you RLC, I'll skip past all the parts that mention this during the game as well. :rolleyes: reeeaaaaacccccchhhhhh. That all being said don't you live in Canada anyways?

Hey by the way, did you guys hear?

According to the National Media, the Dallas Cowboys won the Super Bowl in 2020.

Shows you how much they know #JakeTapper 

Archived