EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, RLC said:

We keep going back to the well.

Meh. 

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

For "borderline/marginal" later round picks, yeah, I can see that being a "tie breaker".  Top 50-60 talent?  Nope. 

If anything, I would want a guy that has a year less wear and tear on him...especially for RB's, TE's, D-Line, O-Line and LB's. 

It's only a matter of time before College Football players will be allowed to declare after 2 years....what will his "strategy" be then?  Is he going to pass on a top 50 talent because he only played 2 seasons vs a guy that played 3? 

And how close does it need to be for it to be a "tie breaker"?  How often does that happen with top talent? At that point you go with a position of need if it's that close, then combine/pro-day performance, interview etc ....those should be your tie breakers, imo. 

If it gets down to the later rounds (I still would only use it as a last resort, depending on position) but then I could see with going for a WR or a QB that played 3 years vs one that played 2.  But that would be the "last" tie breaker, imo..after "position of need",  combine, pro-day. interview, etc 

I don’t think you’re getting it. 

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

For "borderline/marginal" later round picks, yeah, I can see that being a "tie breaker".  Top 50-60 talent?  Nope. 

If anything, I would want a guy that has a year less wear and tear on him...especially for RB's, TE's, D-Line, O-Line and LB's. 

It's only a matter of time before College Football players will be allowed to declare after 2 years....what will his "strategy" be then?  Is he going to pass on a top 50 talent because he only played 2 seasons vs a guy that played 3? 

And how close does it need to be for it to be a "tie breaker"?  How often does that happen with top talent? At that point you go with a position of need if it's that close, then combine/pro-day performance, l

those should be your tie breakers, imo. 

If it gets down to the later rounds (I still would only use it as a last resort, depending on position) but then I could see with going for a WR or a QB that played 3 years vs one that played 2.  But that would be the "last" tie breaker, imo..after "position of need",  combine, pro-day. interview, etc 

I think you are being very obtuse here.

I would be willing to bet every tier on every board is impacted by this.

Added information will move players, if it didn't matter they wouldn't watch the tape. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Meh. 

I don’t think you’re getting it. 

I am getting it.  If he is going with BPA at the 40th pick and he has a guy that "sat out" ranked there but then a guy that played is ranked close to him,  he's going to pick the guy that played.  (Or rank the guy that played higher than him on his board).

He's basically saying.."well...I have a RB ranked at 40 but he only played 2 years vs this other RB that (I would have normally ranked) but I'm going to rank this RB higher because he played 3 years"  (Even though the guy that played 2 years had a better combine, etc and a year less wear and tear on him at the RB position) 

Hey, if it makes sense for him to go that route, good for him...that's better players left for us, imo.  

13 minutes ago, In2football said:

I think you are being very obtuse here.

I would be willing to bet every tier on every board is impacted by this.

Added information will move players, if it didn't matter they wouldn't watch the tape. 

I'm going by his quote saying "he's going to pick a guy that played vs a guy that didn't play".  That's utter nonsense if you're talking about RB's (and likely several other positions).

If anything a RB that played a year less SHOULD BE MOVED UP if it's truly a tie for everything else.    SMH. 

Just now, Ace Nova said:

I'm going by his quote saying "he's going to pick a guy that played vs a guy that didn't play".  That's utter nonsense if you're talking about RB's (and likely several other positions).

If anything a RB that played a year less SHOULD BE MOVED UP if it's truly a tie for everything else.    SMH. 

I'm going to agree to disagree and move on. 

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Releasing Togiai looks dumber and dumber. He might not end up being worth a damn, but that was bungled. 

Its frustrating to go back to Rodgers. 

Not only does he suck when hes on the field, but how often has he even been healthy as a #3 TE to even help us? Somehow it seems like hes always on IR. 

Hes a complete waste in a multitude of ways. Id rather they try...pretty much anyone else. Literally anyone.

We got rid of a UDFA TE. He got picked up. It happens. It's not incompetence. Our #3TE barely plays anyway. We use a 6OL a lot. That could easily be Mailata.

This coming year we'll draft a TE for the first time since 2018. 

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

No, you’re not getting it.

If there are two players with the same exact grade at pick 40, he’s going with the guy who played as a tiebreaker because the guy who sat out lost a year of development. 

You’re talking about bumping people up only because they played, and that’s not what he said.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

We got rid of a UDFA TE. He got picked up. It happens. It's not incompetence. Our #3TE barely plays anyway. We use a 6OL a lot. That could easily be Mailata.

This coming year we'll draft a TE for the first time since 2018. 

It’s incompetence because it was easily avoidable. LeBlanc and Curry could have been released and brought back without issue. 

Howie screwed up. 

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Releasing Togiai looks dumber and dumber. He might not end up being worth a damn, but that was bungled. 

It was a bungle but I think you have to keep in mind the timeline. At the time of cuts they didn’t know if they were going to get Huntley on waivers. If they cut LeBlanc instead of Togiai they then have to cut someone else for Huntley. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s incompetence because it was easily avoidable. LeBlanc and Curry could have been released and brought back without issue. 

Howie screwed up. 

Or they could have signed elsewhere.

We kept the best players. We got unlucky. It happens.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

It was a bungle but I think you have to keep in mind the timeline. At the time of cuts they didn’t know if they were going to get Huntley on waivers. If they cut LeBlanc instead of Togiai they then have to cut someone else for Huntley. 

Yeah, cut Curry then. 

Just now, RLC said:

Or they could have signed elsewhere.

We kept the best players. We got unlucky. It happens.

We didn’t keep the best players. That’s the point. We lost a player we wanted to have on the 53, and for no reason other than getting caught flat footed. 

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

They’re talking about tiebreakers. Wouldn’t you use more complete information to break a tie?

But that goes without saying to the point that it’s not a tie.

2 equal athletes who had 2 equally invisible 2019 seasons.  1 played and played really well, while the other didn’t play in 2020.

Thats not even close to a tie...of course you go with the more complete information.

Heres the scenario I fear...insert any position you like;

Derek Barnett clone from a talent perspective, sub-par athlete for the position, good productivity in 2020, OK in 2019...iron ceiling.

Superior athlete, didn’t have a chance to play in 2020.

I don’t want to draft the former.  And the Eagles have a tendency to clam up into those safer picks.

How many times after drafts have we heard they went for singles and doubles?  Those drafts are typically unmitigated disasters for Howie.  The big swings have been much better for him.

Just now, ManuManu said:

Yeah, cut Curry then. 

I think at the time of cut downs no one really predicted Togiai getting claimed

Just now, eagle45 said:

But that goes without saying to the point that it’s not a tie.

2 equal athletes who had 2 equally invisible 2019 seasons.  1 played and played really well, while the other didn’t play in 2020.

Thats not even close to a tie...of course you go with the more complete information.

Heres the scenario I fear...insert any position you like;

Derek Barnett clone from a talent perspective, sub-par athlete for the position, good productivity in 2020, OK in 2019...iron ceiling.

Superior athlete, didn’t have a chance to play in 2020.

I don’t want to draft the former.  And the Eagles have a tendency to clam up into those safer picks.

You’re making up a scenario that is beside the point. 

With two equal players, give me the guy who decided to play actual football instead of sit out and take pictures of himself working out

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That’s on Howie. If he wanted to keep him, don’t leave it up to other teams. Set up the wink-wink deal with Curry and LeBlanc ahead of time. 

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

With two equal players, give me the guy who decided to play actual football instead of sit out and take pictures of himself working out

I think people are really underestimating what a year lost of development can do to a player. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

You’re making up a scenario that is beside the point. 

It’s a scenario they’ll face with every pick in the entire draft.

Just now, eagle45 said:

It’s a scenario they’ll face with every pick in the entire draft.

But has nothing to do with using a year off as a tiebreaker...

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

I think people are really underestimating what a year lost of development can do to a player. 

yes, and development in a number of ways

Now I’m excited for the season. Got this 1950s game worn eagles helmet in the mail today 

9FBAFC47-79D0-4FC7-B5B9-1EE03CD776A8.jpeg

1 hour ago, DEagle7 said:

Ostman and Burnett?

I think Burnett will definitely be called up and Ostman will too if Barnett can't play.

I would guess that Avery, Jeffery and Reagor are all out for Sunday, and Hargrave and Barnett are probably doubtful. So that means everyone else on the roster will be active. My guess is that they don't want to keep the new running back or Taylor active, so Burnett and Ostman would take their spots.

17 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Exactly.

- He wasn't drafted, and there was no pre-season
- He didn't light it up in camp. Ostman wasn't claimed despite a much better camp
- He doesn't play a premium position

Nothing about Togiai screams "must keep"

Archived