EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RLC said:

Exactly.

- He wasn't drafted, and there was no pre-season
- He didn't light it up in camp. Ostman wasn't claimed despite a much better camp
- He doesn't play a premium position

Nothing about Togiai screams "must keep"

But they wanted to keep him and didn’t, even though they easily could have. 

It’s terrible process. 

50 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Releasing Togiai looks dumber and dumber. He might not end up being worth a damn, but that was bungled. 

They won SB LII nine months after picking Jones, Douglas, and Pumphrey.  

Maybe its a sign.

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s terrible process. 

It's actually a sign of a deep roster.

We had I think 5 or 6 players that we cut end up on other teams' rosters or practice squads.  We only added one.

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s terrible process. 

I think they can get a pass for this one. They couldn't have anticipated the Colts grabbing a developmental guy and he wasn't going to contribute much this year anyway.

They already have a lot of rookies on the roster who aren't going to contribute, so keeping him protected all year was going to be a struggle, especially as the season goes along. 

25 minutes ago, RLC said:

Exactly.

- He wasn't drafted, and there was no pre-season
- He didn't light it up in camp. Ostman wasn't claimed despite a much better camp
- He doesn't play a premium position

Nothing about Togiai screams "must keep"

Something screams 2020 Nasty Nate though.

Are we seriously upset about "losing" a player the team didn't like enough to draft and then didn't like enough to keep on the roster?

4 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

CB, WR, DT are all significantly better than they were last year.  

cb yes, wr, no. dt did we really need another dt?

34 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I think Burnett will definitely be called up and Ostman will too if Barnett can't play.

I would guess that Avery, Jeffery and Reagor are all out for Sunday, and Hargrave and Barnett are probably doubtful. So that means everyone else on the roster will be active. My guess is that they don't want to keep the new running back or Taylor active, so Burnett and Ostman would take their spots.

A player gets two non waiver call ups.  Let’s consider the inactives.  Figure Reagor is one.  No OL for,the first time in a long time if they want 48 active.  Avery if his knee is still banged up?  I figure Barnett, Graham, Sweat and Vinny are active.  Toohill if Avery can’t go but I wouldn’t waste one of Ostman’s trips unless there is still a question about Vinny’s or Barnett’s health where they are healthy enough to be active.  Bradley or Taylor, whoever plays better on STs is active.  Rodgers, Huntley are candidates given lack of practice with the Eagles.  So maybe Burnett if they want to go five WRs active but given last year, I have my doubts they waste one of two freebies with Burnett this week.  

5 hours ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Another one would be a backup quarterback like Chase Daniel who has hung around for a while with limited talent and has made almost $40 million in his career. 

That's the one I was thinking of. Hardly ever have to get your uniform laundered.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

No, you’re not getting it.

If there are two players with the same exact grade at pick 40, he’s going with the guy who played as a tiebreaker because the guy who sat out lost a year of development. 

Did you see my previous example?  Two RB's with same exact grade he's going to rank the one that played higher.  (I would take a RB with 1 year less wear and tear on him since the RB position is the easiest to transition to the NFL.) 

Top ranked Rookie RB's the vast majority of the time have easy transitions to the NFL but with shorter careers (generally speaking) than other positions.   So obviously you take the guy that played LESS if it's the same exact grade.

And I could make an argument that the next criteria should be "position of need" vs playing. (If they are going with BPA)  For example, you got a RB ranked the same exact grade as a LB.  The RB did not play but the LB did.  You need a RB but you take the LB because he played?  According to that logic you would. 

EDIT:  For what it's worth, in positions that generally take longer to develop and a extra year could help, like QB and WR, then yes, I can see using that as a "tie breaker" if the players are ranked exactly the same. 

1 minute ago, toughfighter83 said:

cb yes, wr, no. dt did we really need another dt?

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

How is WR significantly better than last year?  Cause Jackson is healthy?   I would wait to see how he does. 

A healthy Jackson is huge. This offense, and pretty much any 12 personnel heavy offense, runs best with a speedy outside receiver.  Along those same lines we went from drafting 1 plodding reception receiver to 3 guys known best for their speed. One in the first round who even though you don't like him, is undoubtedly a better prospect than JJAW. 

Meanwhile all we really lost was Agholor, who was hot garbage. 

Anything could happen but this seems pretty straight forward

22 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Are we seriously upset about "losing" a player the team didn't like enough to draft and then didn't like enough to keep on the roster?

The more upsetting part to me is the result of going back to Rinjured Rodgers. 

Yes, it would have been so much nicer to have a player with upside on the roster instead of Rodgers. Whether that was Togiai, or Sullivan (? The LSU guy?), or anyone else...

I called it like a week ago. I just knew somehow Rodgers would be back on this team. The guys we get attached to for some reason keeping around for years and years are so maddening.

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

The more upsetting part to me is the result of going back to Rinjured Rodgers. 

He plays special teams, which is apparently a concern this year since they haven't had a chance to practice it very much. It's why they kept Ford and Singleton.

Plus, if he's healthy he can be a decent third TE. I would rather they have kept a developmental guy as well, but the circumstances this year probably favor teams not putting rookies on the field.

Just now, jsb235 said:

He plays special teams, which is apparently a concern this year since they haven't had a chance to practice it very much. It's why they kept Ford and Singleton.

Plus, if he's healthy he can be a decent third TE. I would rather they have kept a developmental guy as well, but the circumstances this year probably favor teams not putting rookies on the field.

Hes a JAG and hes never healthy anyway. Double strike.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

That’s on Howie. If he wanted to keep him, don’t leave it up to other teams. Set up the wink-wink deal with Curry and LeBlanc ahead of time. 

Sure, I’m just asking how much of this is based on hindsight vs real time. I admit it’s a bungle but more of a "it is what it is”.

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Tons of assumptions and questions.  Jackson was healthy opening day last year as well.  Jalen Reachor is already hurt and we don’t know what we have with the other two rookies.  With all those questions it’s anything but "straight forward”.   

Those same questions existed last year though. So it's Reagor/Hightower/Watkins and 2nd year JJAW vs Agholor and 1st year JJAW. Honestly which would you prefer?

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Sure, I’m just asking how much of this is based on hindsight vs real time. I admit it’s a bungle but more of a "it is what it is”.

I do believe not many of us would have expected to get LeBlanc back if he was subject to waivers. And he did get offers when we released him and he was a free agent briefly.

I dont believe he was truly an option. That is a hindsight thing seeing how he turned down other offers to stay here. 

Vinny Curry probably wants to stay too, but he would have gotten other offers, and with our DE situation we cant risk a guy at that position.

We probably could have cut one of the sucky safeties the team is obsessed with like Ford or Epps. Or even Craig James. Who wants a deep reserve from our sucky secondary?

Archived