Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

1 minute ago, Heavywchamp said:

Yes he does in my opinion. He's on the books for 30 plus mil trade or cut. That is unless he agrees to restructure.  The Eagles can't force him to take a cut

I don't see it. If he was in top form and asked for a trade or new contract then he would have leverage. What is he going to do if the Eagles say "no, we want to retain you as a backup QB?" Holdout? Retire? If he pouts his value as a QB goes down even further. He doesn't have a lot to put on the table other than, let's work this out in our mutual best interest. That's not leverage. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Godfather said:

Why? He's played like garbage all year. Maybe their mind set is to prevent him from injury or further progression going into next season. Eagles weren't going anywhere this year even if they put him back in

Somebody in this division is going to the playoffs and getting valuable playoff experience for their team.

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

the wentzlvania t-shirt i bought in 2017 was a bad choice. 

My gamertag on Xbox is Wentzlvania. I’m stuck forever.

Wentz has *some* power here, but not much.  I think at this point it's safe to assume that one of Wentz or Pederson won't be back next year - it's going to be one or the other. 

If they choose Doug and Wentz wants out, the only way he's going to get his wish is if he re-structures so the financials work.  Which means he'd have to take a money hit.  Not the greatest option for him, but it is an option.  Wentz couldn't really hold out either because if the contract isn't tradeable, holding out doesn't do anything if the Eagles financially can't do it. 

If they pick Wentz, him requesting a trade means he'll have some say over who the next coach is.  Not that it'll matter much because whoever gets brought in is going to be coming in with the idea of building around Wentz, which means any new hire is going to be focused on him anyway. 

Either way Wentz comes out of this winning something - new coach or new team.  Smartest play he could make right now.  Nobody is going to look at Howie and Doug and pick either one of them over Wentz at this point.

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

That’s the thing. Real well run teams stick behind their franchise QB for 1 year, support him, provide him with help. Look at Cleveland that stick behind Baker last year and he’s balling this year. 

Meanwhile we had people here crying to bench our franchise QB week 8. Claiming that benching a QB and watching from the sidelines will "make him better”. Hope those guys enjoy our QB carousel next 5 years. What am I saying though, fans here have always needed a QB controversy for the last 15 years. 

Sadly many fans are proud to be the fanbase of a team where "not many have what it takes to play here"

5 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

Not many do but that shouldn't be something the fans should be proud of. 

Right, so every working person who puts it on the line for a living wage and battles through life's adversities should feel ashamed of holding multimillion dollar paid athletes accountable for their job performance. I'm proud that Philly is a place where if you deliver, you are treated as such and if you don't you are treated as such. That's a blue collar ethos and one to be proud of. BTW, not meaning to be argumentative with you, just differing in opinion. 

We are going to be sorry.  QB purgatory is an awful place to be.  

Just now, brkmsn said:

Somebody in this division is going to the playoffs and getting valuable playoff experience for their team.

Eagles need better talent and players before they think about the playoffs. This is an old roster with a lot of guys who won't be here next season and the season after. Hard to f up high draft positioning. 

2 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

I don't see it. If he was in top form and asked for a trade or new contract then he would have leverage. What is he going to do if the Eagles say "no, we want to retain you as a backup QB?" Holdout? Retire? If he pouts his value as a QB goes down even further. He doesn't have a lot to put on the table other than, let's work this out in our mutual best interest. That's not leverage. 

I see what you're saying but disagree. The Eagles aren't going to pay 30+ mil a year for a backup QB over the next 2 or 3 years.  

1 minute ago, Next_Up said:

Right, so every working person who puts it on the line for a living wage and battles through life's adversities should feel ashamed of holding multimillion dollar paid athletes accountable for their job performance. I'm proud that Philly is a place where if you deliver, you are treated as such and if you don't you are treated as such. That's a blue collar ethos and one to be proud of. 

That assumes those judging know what "delivering" looks like. Around here, most don't. Its a fickle and spoiled group, which hides behind the term "blue collar".

4 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Eagles need better talent and players before they think about the playoffs. This is an old roster with a lot of guys who won't be here next season and the season after. Hard to f up high draft positioning. 

Backup to Hurts?  LOL!!!!

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That assumes those judging know what "delivering" looks like. Around here, most don't. Its a fickle and spoiled group, which hides behind the term "blue collar".

That's very true. 

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

We are going to be sorry.  QB purgatory is an awful place to be.  

Purgatory isn’t as bad as paying big money to a bottom 5 QB. 

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Backup to Hurts?  LOL!!!!

If Howie is drafting probably

1 minute ago, nipples said:

Purgatory isn’t as bad as paying big money to a bottom 5 QB. 

Bottom 5 coach causing most of this issue.  

34 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Upper hand? What? I think his employer can choose to not play him and he can watch his career go down the tubes.

Yeah. And write his 35 million dollar check for at least two more years. After which Wentz can take his 100 million and retire. I'd like to be screwed like that. 

Oh and that would completely screw the rebuild also. Salary Cap 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Yeah. And write his 35 million dollar check for at least two more years. After which Wentz can take his 100 million and retire. I'd like to be screwed like that. 

Would be nice

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

An assumption is that Wentz wants to be a professional athlete and not end his career. His salary is already on the books. So, if he played well, would the current conversation be that Wentz needs to renegotiate his contract or the Eagles are screwed?

12 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Or let's say hypothetically Wentz was throwing to someone like DK Metcalf instead of uh...someone who can't even get on the field.

Sure Wentz isn't the type of player that can elevate a sucky team. But let's not forget the main person responsible for the mess this team is in. 

7 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Yes it is the coach causing Wentz to have terrible accuracy. And I’m sure Doug also tells him to hold onto the ball instead of throwing it away. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

Yes it is the coach causing Wentz to have terrible accuracy. And I’m sure Doug also tells him to hold onto the ball instead of throwing it away. 

There is so much more to his performance than the individual, but you keep playing stupid.  OK?

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If he wants to request a trade, he should be aware that his big contract extension will be the biggest obstacle in moving him. If he really wants to be re-united with the Frank Reich on the Colts, he'll need to play nice with the FO to re-adjust his contract situation to make him tradeable.

It is actually a very reasonable contract for the team receiving him, and there’s nothing the Eagles can do to get out of the cap hit.  The contract is what it is.

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

It would also be nice to have receivers who don't drop passes and can get open and not get injured after every single play.

If true, its amazing he believes he will go somewhere else and not need to still compete for a job. He’s been that bad this season. 

2 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

It would also be nice to have receivers who don't drop passes and can get open and not get injured after every single play.

There were far more uncatchable throws from Wentz this year than there were drops. 

Archived