Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They've messed this up and I'm not sure they can recover it now. They still need a WR, a CB and a S. Plus OL and a RB.

Reagor has to be Randy Moss level talent to recover from any of this. 

• Like 2

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Reagor has to be Randy Moss level talent to recover from any of this. 

Not going to disagree there. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So? A choker then. 

Hahahaha. Nice. I'm watching vid on him, trying to figure out what the hell Howie was thinking.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

So many good reasons.  First, this guy is a stud.  Second, he brings hands on experience from running Lincoln Riley's offense.  Third, strong backup who will keep Wentz from getting too cocky.  There is a LOT this guy brings to the table.  With the Eagles, it all begins in the QB room.  I am fully behind this pick.

So what are some of the good reasons for this pick?

5 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

First: Dude is a really good QB. So we get a really good player at the most important position.

Second: If Wentz misses time, and that can happen, we now can continue our season.

Third: There will be plays where he sees the field even with Wentz healthy, the Eagles clearly got plans for that "skillset".

Fourth: Backup or not, even semi competent QBs cost a lot of money. Money that can now be spent elsewhere.

Agreed, the second is a high price to pay. But Hurts is good, so this may just be what it costs to get a QB like that.

It's a smart move, simple as that. Way too many here crying without thinking straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

There are no good and logical reasons for this pick. 

And if he was BPA on their board then that's even worse. 

Just now, Infam said:

It's a smart move, simple as that. Way too many here crying without thinking straight.

It's a dumb move. Once again they haven't given Wentz the weapons around him. Dallas load up, we ignore those issues. There's nothing smart about this move. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's a dumb move. Once again they haven't given Wentz the weapons around him. Dallas load up, we ignore those issues. There's nothing smart about this move. 

We just invested a first round pick in a WR. Don't be silly. And there will be another WR coming anyways.

• Like 1

Just now, Infam said:

We just invested a first round pick in a WR. Don't be silly.

1 WR, when we needed 2-3. And a corner. And a DE and a S.

There are no good and logical reasons for this pick. 

And if he was BPA on their board then that's even worse. 

I just listed four. It's not like you can some day have all the players and say: Oh well, let's go QB. If the opportunity is right you have to take it. We will still improve our roster.

We will still beat Dallas. We are still winning the East.

Just now, Infam said:

I just listed four. It's not like you can some day have all the players and say: Oh well, let's go QB. If the opportunity is right you have to take it. We will still improve our roster.

We will still beat Dallas. We are still winning the East.

You have a young QB who just got a massive contract. QB was one of the lowest needs and they just used a premium asset on the position. It's a terrible move. And I've said before I think Hurts is a good player. 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You have a young QB who just got a massive contract. QB was one of the lowest needs and they just used a premium asset on the position. It's a terrible move. And I've said before I think Hurts is a good player. 

If Hurts is a good player, this is a very good pick. Simple.

• Like 1

I think this is Lurie rather than Howie. He remembers how Reid used to be able to trade away a backup QB every so often .... 

Who knows, though. 

13 minutes ago, Infam said:

If Hurts is a good player, this is a very good pick. Simple.

No. No it isn't. Because best case if he has to play he's a decent player. 

No. No it isn't. Because best case if he has to play he's a decent player. 

Yes. Yes it is! 

Not starting the whole value thing all over, because I couldn't even get across why slot is bad value. Let's just say: drafting a good QB in the second is a win for us in any case.

Just now, Infam said:

Yes. Yes it is! 

Not starting the whole value thing all over, because I couldn't even get across why slot is bad value. Let's just say: drafting a good QB in the second is a big win for us in any case.

No it isn't. It's a terrible strategy to hope we can flip him in a year or two for more than what we've given up this year. It's a terrible pick and there's no way right now I'll be convinced otherwise. Not when they passed on better players at positions we needed.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No it isn't. It's a terrible strategy to hope we can flip him in a year or two for more than what we've given up this year. It's a terrible pick and there's no way right now I'll be convinced otherwise. Not when they passed on better players at positions we needed.

Well ok. You are too smart not to come around eventually. Hurts will see the field. Hurts will be lots of fun. Hurts will be perfect insurance. And some day Hurts will end up playing somewhere and we will get something out of it again. All the time saving cash on that backup QB role that ain't cheap anymore. Like I said: The first time we destroy Dallas with a sick double QB play people will change their minds about this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Well ok. You are too smart not to come around eventually. Hurts will see the field. Hurts will be lots of fun. Hurts will be perfect insurance. And some day Hurts will end up playing somewhere and we will get something out of it again. All the time saving cash on that backup QB role that ain't cheap anymore. Like I said: The first time we destroy Dallas with a sick double QB play people will change their minds about this.

I just don't see it. How's he going to see the field? He's a development QB who probably won't be here by the time he's ready to start. 

I just don't see it. How's he going to see the field? He's a development QB who probably won't be here by the time he's ready to start. 

It's all bs though. He needs to learn the offense, sure. But he will be ready to play some plays fast enough. And can everybody please stop suggesting it would be the same with Flacco or Sudfeld? It's not. Hurts is a different type of QB. He will do things that normal QBs cannot do. And he is a high character guy, too.

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

It's all bs though. He needs to learn the offense, sure. But he will be ready to play some plays fast enough. And can everybody please stop suggesting it would be the same with Flacco or Sudfeld? It's not. Hurts is a different type of QB. He will do things that normal QBs cannot do. And he is a high character guy, too.

But you don't actually want him to see the field... Because that means Wentz is hurt. And if Wentz is hurt again then that big contract was a complete waste. 

But you don't actually want him to see the field... Because that means Wentz is hurt. And if Wentz is hurt again then that big contract was a complete waste. 

First of all crap happens. And not all injuries are season ending. What if Wentz misses three weeks. Have to buckle up and make due with Sudfeld? No, please not!

And I am saying he WILL see the field together with Wentz too. For cheap. And eventually with big profit. Can't see it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infam said:

First of all crap happens. And not all injuries are season ending. What if Wentz misses three weeks. Have to buckle up and make due with Sudfeld? No, please not!

And I am saying he WILL see the field together with Wentz too. For cheap. And eventually with big profit. Can't see it?

And what's Hurts going to work with if he does come in? Given WR is still a major issue. 

Oh and how's the secondary going to hold up? And pass rush? They passed up on all those positions. 

And what's Hurts going to work with if he does come in? Given WR is still a major issue. 

Oh and how's the secondary going to hold up? And pass rush? They passed up on all those positions. 

We did focus on the offense, and that is what most teams do when they have their franchise QB.

Hopefully Hurts would work with DJax, Reagor, Goedert, Ertz and Sanders to name a few. He could do worse I guess.