Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

I love the Reagor pick, but if what really held them back from trading up to 16 to get Lamb was they didn’t want to give up 53 to do it...and now they Fing waste that pick on a QB? 

As much as I like Reagor, Lamb + no second round pick is better than Reagor and Jalen Fing Hurts. 

The strategy, the process, the logic, it isn't flawed. It's non existent. Time for Howie to go without question.

Would have been nice to have Hurts come in after the Clowney cheap shot. I am not crying about this pick. We dont even know if there will be a NCAA season, what will QB needy NFL teams do then? 

Any coffee around?

• Like 1

Let’s also take a second to look at this from Hurts’ perspective. 

As I always say, I don’t follow college, so I know nothing about him. I only know the position he plays. He might be a very talented player, so let’s just say that he is. 

From Hurts’ perspective, he likely was hoping to go to a team where:

1. He’s likely going to be an immediate starter. 
2. He's going to compete for the starting job. 
3. He’s going to a team with a starter retiring in a season or two. 

None of this applies here. We put ourselves in a position where this kid is going to be a gadget player at best, which hurts his trade value right there, or he’s going to be demanding to be released/traded which potentially leads to a disgruntled player. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

It's tremendous because it was a 2nd round pick.  Why not go with Sudfeld and a veteran as your backups?  Then, by your own definition, we take a linebacker, safety, corner that has a 50/50 chance of being a stud.  Instead we get nothing, and glaring holes remain shining bright everywhere. 

Because Sudfeld stinks and available veteran QBs also stink/ or are too expensive.  I never said there's a 50/50 chance second round picks become studs.  I said half of second round picks amount to nothing, of the other half only a few become impactful.  

• Like 1

We all love Wentz, but who here would bet on him playing a full season?  

If the bug hits Wentz again then Hurts get a shot, a young explosive QB with potential.  I have no interest in watching Sudfeld. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bloodtype_Green said:

We all love Wentz, but who here would bet on him playing a full season?  

If the bug hits Wentz again then Hurts get a shot, a young explosive QB with potential.  I have no interest in watching Sudfeld. 

Then don't give him a big contract. 

And let's not pretend Hurts is this incredible QB. Teams had a third round grade on him and we've reached. The only explanation here is they have doubts over Wentz. 

Is cursing allowed on these new boards?

If not can we make an exception for this thread? Asterisks and exclamation points don't really convey my emotions very well.

• Like 1

Just now, PoPpInFreSh said:

Is cursing allowed on these new boards?

If not can we make an exception for this thread? Asterisks and exclamation points don't really convey my emotions very well.

I wish we could bud because I am bleeping hacked off.

9 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

So you're telling me you'd feel good w this kid taking meaningful snaps?

I never said that . . . but even if I did so what??

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Then don't give him a big contract. 

And let's not pretend Hurts is this incredible QB. Teams had a third round grade on him and we've reached. The only explanation here is they have doubts over Wentz. 

For me, he was the most interesting QB in this draft. I think he can be incredible. And he was a true day two pick, with him ranked from second to third.

But good QBs usually go early, so despite my wishful thinking.. second round was more realistic.

Wasnt Marty Morningweg here when we had the McNabb/Vick experiment that really didn't do anything? 

Yes they could be trying out some gimmicks like the Saints and old Wildcat options. But I still think this pick is purely based off protecting themselves if Wentz goes down at a cheap price. 

10 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

but to intentionally pick a back up in round 2.... with safeties, WRs, LBs, and edge rushers on the board

Espenesa and Mims on the board.  What a tragedy.

Oh lets not forget hes a company line guy or as Howie likes to say "A great team mate"

The fact he stood behind other players when he knew he had talent and never caused a issue was a big factor in this pick. 

Was QB a need? Yea but at least a round or two too early

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Was QB a need? Yea but at least a round or two too early

And we had far greater needs and players on the board that could have really helped. Instead we took a freaking back up QB who needs to be developed so potentially won't even be the back up in 2020!

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Oh lets not forget hes a company line guy or as Howie likes to say "A great team mate"

The fact he stood behind other players when he knew he had talent and never caused a issue was a big factor in this pick. 

Great teammate. Great athlete. Can do special things. Can win games if the Eagles need a backup (even if only needed for a few games). Will save money for other positions. Can be used on trick plays. Might eventually move on and create new draft capital. Missing someone like him last year ended our playoffs early.

It's a tough sell. But the best choice for our team.

Just now, Infam said:

Great teammate. Great athlete. Can do special things. Can win games if the Eagles need a backup (even if only needed for a few games). Will save money for other positions

What other positions? There's nobody else out there.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And we had far greater needs and players on the board that could have really helped. Instead we took a freaking back up QB who needs to be developed so potentially won't even be the back up in 2020!

I fully expect him to play more of a role then Nate this season. I think they try some gimmicks which I personally dont care for. but Im old school. 

But since Nate is only on a 1 year deal, I expect to see more Hurts then Sudfield. 

7 minutes ago, Infam said:

For me, he was the most interesting QB in this draft. I think he can be incredible. And he was a true day two pick, with him ranked from second to third.

But good QBs usually go early, so despite my wishful thinking.. second round was more realistic.

If he’s really that incredible of a QB, he’s going to want to play. More than a few gadget plays a game. Not sure if you’re trying to convince us, or yourself at this time that this pick makes sense for us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

Great teammate. Great athlete. Can do special things. Can win games if the Eagles need a backup (even if only needed for a few games). Will save money for other positions. Can be used on trick plays. Might eventually move on and create new draft capital. Missing someone like him last year ended our playoffs early.

It's a tough sell. But the best choice for our team.

Again I agree, it was a need, just a bit early. Think they could have landed him in the 3rd with using one of the 4ths to move up from 103 to get him. 

• Like 1

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

If he’s really that incredible of a QB, he’s going to want to play. More than a few gadget plays a game. Not sure if you’re trying to convince us, or yourself at this time that this pick makes sense for us. 

In a few years he will want to play. And we will let him go somewhere, where he can start. For a return. The time he was here will still have been good for us.

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Wasnt Marty Morningweg here when we had the McNabb/Vick experiment that really didn't do anything? 

Yes they could be trying out some gimmicks like the Saints and old Wildcat options. But I still think this pick is purely based off protecting themselves if Wentz goes down at a cheap price. 

Yes, Marty was here. 

The only way this pick would make sense to me is if they have a deal in place to trade Sudfeld which I highly doubt will happen, so like others I’m confused on why they picked a QB in the 2nd round when there are so many glaring holes that needed to be filled.

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Again I agree, it was a need, just a bit early. Think they could have landed him in the 3rd with using one of the 4ths to move up from 103 to get him. 

I thought so too. Did pick him at 103 in my mock draft. But looking at it from the FO perspective: There is this awesome rare QB that slides. Are you really risking it? Maybe looking back when he becomes a star thinking, damn if we really liked this so much we should have taken him right away?

I understand that they wanted this enough not to gamble with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infam said:

In a few years he will want to play. And we will let him go somewhere, where he can start. For a return. The time he was here will still have been good for us.

You think he doesn’t want to play now? 

And of all we’re getting out of him is a few gadget plays, then his value isn’t going to build very much.