Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

5 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I fully expect him to play more of a role then Nate this season. I think they try some gimmicks which I personally dont care for. but Im old school. 

But since Nate is only on a 1 year deal, I expect to see more Hurts then Sudfield. 

I'm not sure, with a short TC, that Hurts will be ready. Maybe they roll with him anyway, they almost have to I guess but it's a mistake. 

Just now, Mr_Philly said:

The only way this pick would make sense to me is if they have a deal in place to trade Sudfeld which I highly doubt will happen, so like others I’m confused on why they picked a QB in the 2nd round when there are so many glaring holes that needed to be filled.

Nate was a FA and he had no bites which is why he resigned in Philly. Don't see a big trade market or value for him esp with some of the QBs still out there in FA. If hes part of a trade, its just a filler

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

You think he doesn’t want to play now? 

And of all we’re getting out of him is a few gadget plays, then his value isn’t going to build very much. 

He could have it worse too. He has shown that he can wait and be a good sport about it before.

But if Wentz is 100% healthy the next years he might not be able to really show what he has got. I can live with that outlook just fine though...

13 hours ago, Makilavelli said:

Some dude is posting anywhere and everywhere on Twitter that he thinks Wentz would pull a Luck on us and retire in a few. You’re only crazy until it happens....

Good for him, who cares?

A few thots: these guys all make league min. $450k and up. Even the practice squad guys make around $7k a week. As far as I'm concerned that's "extreme wealth." At that point the question becomes: "What does it take for me to walk away from all of this?" 

If you're an Andrew Luck or a Carson Wentz you've already reaped millions upon millions of $$$ and, theoretically, could walk away at any moment and never have to work again. I suppose if you're motivated by greed then you stay on for as long as you can. If you're motivated by greatness ala Tom Brady then you hang on for as long as it makes sense. But if you've had bad luck and are already suffering physically then you might just choose to stay at home with the wife & kids and live a 'normal' life.

Makes sense to me.     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

He could have it worse too. He has shown that he can wait and be a good sport about it before.

But if Wentz is 100% healthy the next years he might not be able to really show what he has got. I can live with that outlook just fine though...

Yes, I’d love for Wentz to stay healthy also. But if he does, this is a wasted pick. If Wentz can’t stay healthy, then we royally screwed up extending him. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes, I’d love for Wentz to stay healthy also. But if he does, this is a wasted pick. If Wentz can’t stay healthy, then we royally screwed up extending him. 

If he stays healthy for years we still got a really good QB. The value of that will be lessened (in what one could well call a best case scenario), but it's not wasted completely.

But if we go with "hope is not a strategy" and expect that there is a decent chance that Wentz will miss at least a few games, the value of this pick will be huge.

It's a dumb pick.

I get it, I've been saying for decades that when the NFL moves to 17-18 game seasons it is going to force teams to employ QB rotations.  Over a 17 game schedule, Doug is thinking about employing the Brees/Hill double offense and that is exactly the plan:  run two offenses.  If the matchup is right Hurts could play up to 15 snaps in a game between an entire change of pace drive, a couple wildcat plays and some two point conversions.  But on most Sundays he will play about 5-10 snaps and the skill set required for what he does can be found 2 rounds later in the draft (Greg Ward can do most of it)

The Eagles have outsmarted themselves again.

Just now, Infam said:

But if we go with "hope is not a strategy" and expect that there is a decent chance that Wentz will miss at least a few games, the value of this pick will be huge.

Meanwhile we have a team littered with holes as a result? Great strategy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Infam said:

If he stays healthy for years we still got a really good QB. The value of that will be lessened (in what one could well call a best case scenario), but it's not wasted completely.

That’s also assuming he becomes a decent pro. I would have much preferred they spend a 2nd round pick on a position with a much higher probability of either starting, or being a significant contributor. 

• Like 1

When does a man with a billion dollar investment realize that two clueless, stammering buffoons are really starting to f with his billion dollar investment? 

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s also assuming he becomes a decent pro. I would have much preferred they spend a 2nd round pick on a position with a much higher probability of either starting, or being a significant contributor. 

I assume that. I believe in that player.

Well fine, to each his own. For me, the Eagles have shown they can replace everybody. Every time they find a way to make it work. Except for when we lose the QB. That worked once, but we won't find another Foles in FA, sorry. Plus even if we did, he would not contribute to this offense when Wentz is healthy like Hurts will.

Come on guys, no biggy. howie said "Its only a late 2nd round pick" 

Those players dont have much impact anyways :)

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

I assume that. I believe in that player.

Well fine, to each his own. For me, the Eagles have shown they can replace everybody. Every time they find a way to make it work. Except for when we lose the QB. That worked once, but we won't find another Foles in FA, sorry. Plus even if we did, he would not contribute to this offense when Wentz is healthy like Hurts will.

I love Foles, and always will, but the reality is he got to play a chapter, an obviously very important chapter, in what was a Cinderella story season for us. I don’t believe that is likely to be the norm for us at any point. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I love Foles, and always will, but the reality is he got to play a chapter, an obviously very important chapter, in what was a Cinderella story season for us. I don’t believe that is likely to be the norm for us at any point. 

Bingo, yet they seem to want to recreate that story. 

12 minutes ago, MrFadedGlory said:

When does a man with a billion dollar investment realize that two clueless, stammering buffoons are really starting to f with his billion dollar investment? 

When we stop supporting the Eagles which is never.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Bingo, yet they seem to want to recreate that story. 

Except instead of trying to get super lucky taking some QB in FA that nobody wants anymore, they invested a significant pick to get someone in here that is actually really good.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

Except instead of trying to get super lucky taking some QB in FA that nobody wants anymore, they invested a significant pick to get someone in here that is actually really good.

That actually may not be very good in the NFL. That needs developing. That leaves gaps all over. 

I'm trying to decide how to feel about this pick.  I'm trying with alcohol. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

I'm trying to decide how to feel about this pick.  I'm trying with alcohol. 

If you need the alcohol, that tells you how you feel about this pick. ;) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, T-1000 said:

A. You don't use a 2nd round pick on a backup QB after giving 100 million to your starter

B. They didn't draft him to be a backup QB. They drafted him to be Taysom Hill

ARod still has 4 years and $134M on his contract and they took a backup literally 24 hours earlier. This move isn’t new historically, and it’s not something unique even in this specific draft. 

If you’re going to care this much maybe you should have spent your time more wisely to become an nfl player or an nfl coach so that you could actually have some influence over what happens. 

• Like 1

Keep giggling after every pick with your enormous chin Doug, looks like another year of wishing Frank Reich was in the building.. Quarterback factory!? The 2 best quarterback gurus we had aren't even here anymore in Flipp and Reich? Howie you are a moron!

Meanwhile everyother team in our division are loading up with talent!

10 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Howie Roseman

"We want to be a QB Factory"

He needs to go to college. 

• Like 1