Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

11 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Howie Roseman

"We want to be a QB Factory"

Am I the only one unsure of what that even means?

1 minute ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Keep giggling after every pick with your enormous chin Doug, looks like another year of wishing Frank Reich was in the building.. Quarterback factory!? The 2 best quarterback gurus we had aren't even here anymore in Flipp and Reich? Howie you are a moron!

Meanwhile everyother team in our division are loading up with talent!

How much is any of that talent going to help them this year?

Honestly, how many draft picks this year are really going to make a difference?

There will be no OTAs, a good chance that there will be limited or no training camp and possibly a delayed start to the season. Most of these guys will be sitting home looking through a playbook but will not be with their team mates, learning from one another or how things are done in the NFL.

As much of a head scratcher this pick is and pundits want to say that they should have picked a player that will help immediately, not a single one of these drafts picks are going to do that this year.

Hurts is a winner!  Gonna prove it over and over again ... great locker room guy ... plenty of talent ... howie did not do this without Doug... this is more on doug than howie ... howie will take the heat though .. to me this pick is on Doug's  ego ... not so sure this pick is as bad as most on this board think ... as always time will tell

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

ARod still has 4 years and $134M on his contract and they took a backup literally 24 hours earlier. This move isn’t new historically, and it’s not something unique even in this specific draft. 

If you’re going to care this much maybe you should have spent your time more wisely to become an nfl player or an nfl coach so that you could actually have some influence over what happens. 

Rodgers is 36. Wentz is 27. Packers are looking for their next qb, just like they did when they draft Rodgers at pick 24. 

1 minute ago, pallidrone said:

There will be no OTAs, a good chance that there will be limited or no training camp and possibly a delayed start to the season. Most of these guys will be sitting home looking through a playbook but will not be with their team mates, learning from one another or how things are done in the NFL.

As much of a head scratcher this pick is and pundits want to say that they should have picked a player that will help immediately, not a single one of these drafts picks are going to do that this year.

Qualifier... if there is a 'this year'. Good point.

The only thing I can think, based on their first three picks, is that there isn't going to be any offseason, if there is even a regular season, and that they may as well take guys who have high upsides regardless of position and try to develop them.

I guess if you think this kid can be a superstar with a little coaching, you can't argue with the pick. The only problem is that the team has so many holes due to bad drafting that taking a risk like this seems bizarre.

Then again, next year's draft may be even more screwed up if there isn't much of a college season, so we will see.

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

Rodgers is 36. Wentz is 27. Packers are looking for their next qb, just like they did when they draft Rodgers at pick 24. 

So what you're saying is... Wentz has the body of a 36 year old already.

• Like 1

Just now, judunno said:

So what you're saying is... Wentz has the body of a 36 year old already.

What I'm saying is, the eagles screwed up. 

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

What I'm saying is, the eagles screwed up. 

And that Wentz has the body of a 36 year old 🙂 Which may be true given his injuries.

Just now, judunno said:

And that Wentz has the body of a 36 year old 🙂 Which may be true given his injuries.

No. Not at all. 

I'm sad because I keep trying to justify this damn pick and I can't. Only thing I keep telling myself is if Carson gets hurt again and this guy steps in and plays great it will all be worth it. That's the best spin I can put on this. With Carson's injury issues we may see this kid soon

• Like 1

Another reason to believe the pick was way too early is there were no other qb drafted after him yesterday. Sure it's possible that someone else would have drafte him in the third but at least trade back from 53 and get him. The 5 teams after us would not have gone QB. Maybe New England does but even that's questionable. After them the next 6 teams wouldn't. Then maybe the lions do, maybe. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sad because I keep trying to justify this damn pick and I can't. Only thing I keep telling myself is if Carson gets hurt again and this guy steps in and plays great it will all be worth it. That's the best spin I can put on this. With Carson's injury issues we may see this kid soon

This is what saddens me the most. The reality of this coming to fruition is highly probable.

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

Another reason to believe the pick was way too early is there were no other qb drafted after him yesterday. Sure it's possible that someone else would have drafte him in the third but at least trade back from 53 and get him. The 5 teams after us would not have gone QB. Maybe New England does but even that's questionable. After them the next 6 teams wouldn't. Then maybe the lions do, maybe. 

This draft is rather odd for the Eagles. I was pretty confident they would make some trades in the first 3 rounds given the number of picks they have in the 4th but nada so far. Not their usual MO. Did the Slay trade really stop them from making moves in the draft this year?

After sleeping on it. I have to say I think there were bigger needs to address in the 2nd round, but I'm also not mad that we have Jalen hurts now. I do like the idea of wentz taking a few less hits with hurts getting few snaps or whatever.

Just now, BirdsFanBill said:

After sleeping on it. I have to say I think there were bigger needs to address in the 2nd round, but I'm also not mad that we have Jalen hurts now. I do like the idea of wentz taking a few less hits with hurts getting few snaps or whatever.

I am

13 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

And? Everyone agrees Rodgers has more talent than Brady. 

Brady at 36 - loses AFCCG to denver

Brady at 37 - wins Super Bowl

Brady at 38 - loses AFCCFG to denver

Brady at 39 - 27-3 super bowl win 

Brady at 40 - loses super bowl (go eagles!)

Brady at 41 - wins super bowl 

Brady at 42 - owned by a pick-6

Just now, NJWolverEagle11 said:

I am

As is your right. 

I guess I'm just more apt to trust doug and Howie as I drink coffee out of my Superbowl 52 champs mug this morning.

2 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Wasn't mad over the pick. Just confused on why so early. He seams to be reaching for all his picks this year. Howie might need someone there to hold his hand more. Drafting from Home and not having someone there to talk some sense into him might be playing a role in it as well. 

The odds are against Wentz playing a full season healthy.  

Its the truth us Eagles fans have to live with. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdsFanBill said:

As is your right. 

I guess I'm just more apt to trust doug and Howie as I drink coffee out of my Superbowl 52 champs mug this morning.

Its just as much the player as the position for me. I saw enough at Alabama to not have faith in any pro potential. We've seen guys like this show flashes but fade not long after and I believe that's his ceiling. But hey I've been wrong b4

13 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Giants

• Round 1, No. 4 overall | Andrew Thomas, offensive tackle, Georgia. ...
  • Round 2, No. 36 overall | Xavier McKinney, safety, Alabama. ...
  • Round 3, No. 99 overall | Matt Peart, offensive tackle, UConn.

One of the highest regarded safety's in the country,  and 2 solid o line talent in which was one of there biggest weaknesses.

Dallas

1 17 WR CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma B+
2 51 CB Trevon Diggs, Alabama B+
3 82 DL Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma A

3 studs with huge upside and high ceilings

Redskins

Round   Player Selected
1 2 EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State
3 66

RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis

Chase is regarded as the best overall overall player of the entire draft and Antonio can score from anywhere on the field.

Eagles??

Outside speed receiver that some are saying we drafted to high..a quarterback that may never see the field and a linebacker that is raw, inexperienced and undersized.

See what i did there???

I'm show nothing but love for Hurts.  I like the player, I just don't like the decision.  I hope they prove us all wrong.  On the plus side, maybe we'll get a Hurts to Ertz TD...

• Like 1

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Wasn't mad over the pick. Just confused on why so early. He seams to be reaching for all his picks this year. Howie might need someone there to hold his hand more. Drafting from Home and not having someone there to talk some sense into him might be playing a role in it as well. 

Idk everyone always says we reached on pretty much anyone they havent heard espn talk about nonstop. Reager clearly wasnt a reach after 45 wide receivers were drafted after him. If they really wanted hurts he probly wouldnt have been there rd 3. It's not like they are going 4 rounds ahead on guys. 

2 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Giants

• Round 1, No. 4 overall | Andrew Thomas, offensive tackle, Georgia. ...
  • Round 2, No. 36 overall | Xavier McKinney, safety, Alabama. ...
  • Round 3, No. 99 overall | Matt Peart, offensive tackle, UConn.

One of the highest regarded safety's in the country,  and 2 solid o line talent in which was one of there biggest weaknesses.

Dallas

1 17 WR CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma B+
2 51 CB Trevon Diggs, Alabama B+
3 82 DL Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma A

3 studs with huge upside and high ceilings

Redskins

Round   Player Selected
1 2 EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State
3 66

RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis

Chase is regarded as the best overall overall player of the entire draft and Antonio can score from anywhere on the field.

Eagles??

Outside speed receiver that some are saying we drafted to high..a quarterback that may never see the field and a linebacker that is raw, inexperienced and undersized.

See what i did there???

Yeah it's crazy it's almost like if your team sucks and you have a much higher draft pick you can pick better players. Seems unfair.

• Like 2