Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

Just now, Procus said:

And that's why he will be the backup and not the starting QB.  But we need a solid backup.

There are other options as back up without spending a premium pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111387/article/pederson-jalen-hurts-taken-for-his-unique-set-of-skills

Pederson: Jalen Hurts taken for his 'unique set of skills'

Grant Gordon
NFL.com
  facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  whatsapp_icon.svg  
Print

Quarterback certainly wasn't seen as a position of need for the Eagles heading into the draft. 

That notion coupled with the high-profile status of Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts certainly made Friday's selection garner notice when Philadelphia used the No. 53 pick on the Sooner. 

For coach Doug Pederson, whose creativity offensively has been showcased as much for dealing with injuries as it has for memorable Super Bowl plays, it was a selection that offers up a unique boon for Philly and a daunting task for the opposition to defend. 

"He has a unique set of skills that we're going to take a look at as we keep developing this offseason and this advancement, so to speak, as we get ready for training camp," Pederson said Friday, via team transcript.

It's a new dawn in the NFL in which an athletic college quarterback provides versatility for an offense as opposed to more archaic previous thinking when said quarterbacks would be looked upon to switch positions to receiver, running back or defensive back.

Pederson isn't looking for Hurts to replace franchise quarterback Carson Wentz, but to compliment him when possible. 

"With Jalen Hurts, he has a unique skill set," Pederson said. "You see what Taysom Hill has done in New Orleans and now he and [Saints quarterback] Drew Brees have a connection there and a bond there, and you even look at -- when [Joe] Flacco and [Ravens QB] Lamar [Jackson] in Baltimore for the short period of time, how they gelled together. It's just something we're going to explore. I want to make a point here first and foremost that Jalen Hurts is a good quarterback, and he was drafted as a quarterback and he's a quarterback first, but he has a unique skill set that he's a great runner. Obviously, he throws well on the run." 

And so it seems that if all goes to plan, Hurts will progress as a quarterback and the Eagles will be able to add some new wrinkles to the offense of the reigning NFC East champions.

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

ARod still has 4 years and $134M on his contract and they took a backup literally 24 hours earlier. This move isn’t new historically, and it’s not something unique even in this specific draft. 

If you’re going to care this much maybe you should have spent your time more wisely to become an nfl player or an nfl coach so that you could actually have some influence over what happens. 

Rodgers is 36, Wentz is 27.

Hello apple, my name is orange.

19 minutes ago, Infam said:

True. But all that leads me to is that we are smarter than the other teams now.

Yep typical Howie. Always thinking he's smarter than everyone else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt03785 said:

Why did he fall to second round? 
put up a monster year last year 

Size, decision making isn't the best. Needs a lot of work.

4 minutes ago, Matt03785 said:

Why did he fall to second round? 
put up a monster year last year 

Cus his Como is Tim Tebow

Just now, Heavywchamp said:

And usually coming up looking dumber.

slept and thought about this pick...

looking at the guys drafted ahead of hurts, there's no way tua or love should've gone ahead of him.  the guy has put together one of the best college careers, with a 2019 performance only outdone by burrow -- having the best year of a college qb ever.  but to be drafted behind tua and love...  and also passed up on by other teams which needed a qb more than the eagles.

by his metrics, he shouldn't have fallen to where eagles could have drafted him.  his college career stats, by any and all indications, should've put him higher.  yet he's down near the bottom of the 2nd round, going to a team with an established franchise guy.

the eagles should NOT have been able to touch hurts.  he's not some slouch, johnny football, flash-in-the-pan, one-trick, media-hyped, aberration that's destined to fail.  the guy is a legit player, that put up big numbers at the most important position on the field -- starting for two of the most historic franchises in college football.

the eagles couldn't pass him up.  even if there was a need elsewhere.  sitting behind wentz and being brought in sparingly will allow him time to develop -- and when all is said and done, the eagles could have a gluttony of riches at qb.

howie was right to call wentz and tell him that hurts could have been at option at 53 if he fell that low --  because there was no way hurts should have fallen that low.

i was shocked by the pick at the time, but after sleeping on it.  i can see why howie did it.  there will be qb controversy, it's why they let carson know about the plan ahead of time.  but carson is the ultimate pro.  in a game where the guy under center is the most important guy on the field, hurts should've been long gone by pick 53.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah.. If only we got Jerry Jones. He gets his team the Lamb and Diggs! Such a genius. And we only got Reagor and Hurts. So bad! 

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Well tuning into the NFL network coverage just now, they just spent the first 10 minutes talking about this so the Eagles made the headlines if nothing else 😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A second round pick for some potential wrinkles. Great value 

I would understand it more if they didn’t bring Sudfeld back when they did I thought a later round qb pick or a vet. 
investing a second round pick you almost have to have hurts be #2 and active... for these "special” plays if you don’t even if he was the highest rated guy on your board you don’t make that pick. 

The Eagles aren’t idiots so they must have a reason.   Right?  Possibilities:

1. They love (and paid) Wentz but understand that due to his physical play, which isn’t changing, he’s going to miss games. 

2. The game has changed and the Eagles are way ahead of it offensively.  It’s all about playing in space and position-less hybrids these days.  The Eagles are going to reinvent the position.

3. They had Hurts as the best player on their board and when he was there at 51 they took him.  Yes, he’d probably still be there today if they had addressed an actual position of need, but hindsight is always 20/20.

That’s all I got.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hawkeye said:

The Eagles aren’t idiots so they must have a reason.   Right?  Possibilities:

I would argue that actually when it comes to the draft the overwhelming evidence is that Howie is an idiot. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

slept and thought about this pick...

looking at the guys drafted ahead of hurts, there's no way tua or love should've gone ahead of him.  the guy has put together one of the best college careers, with a 2019 performance only outdone by burrow -- having the best year of a college qb ever.  but to be drafted behind tua and love...  and also passed up on by other teams which needed a qb more than the eagles.

by his metrics, he shouldn't have fallen to where eagles could have drafted him.  his college career stats, by any and all indications, should've put him higher.  yet he's down near the bottom of the 2nd round, going to a team with an established franchise guy.

the eagles should NOT have been able to touch hurts.  he's not some slouch, johnny football, flash-in-the-pan, one-trick, media-hyped, aberration that's destined to fail.  the guy is a legit player, that put up big numbers at the most important position on the field -- starting for two of the most historic franchises in college football.

the eagles couldn't pass him up.  even if there was a need elsewhere.  sitting behind wentz and being brought in sparingly will allow him time to develop -- and when all is said and done, the eagles could have a gluttony of riches at qb.

howie was right to call wentz and tell him that hurts could have been at option at 53 if he fell that low --  because there was no way hurts should have fallen that low.

i was shocked by the pick at the time, but after sleeping on it.  i can see why howie did it.  there will be qb controversy, it's why they let carson know about the plan ahead of time.  but carson is the ultimate pro.  in a game where the guy under center is the most important guy on the field, hurts should've been long gone by pick 53.

Best player available.  Old school drafting.

I finally figured this all out. The Eagles are such a good team with so few needs that they can afford to use a premium pick on a backup. 

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There are other options as back up without spending a premium pick.

IMO, there is a big backstory to this.  Go check out the Ringer article about Lincoln Riley in 411.  Try to look at the big picture my friend.

Quite frankly, he better add more than a few wrinkles.  And if they want to develop him as a QB, then get him on the field and use him alot as the swiss army knife in the offense.....that means running the ball,  going out on routes along with the occasional pass play.  What better way to get a QB to see the speed and see defensive alignments of pro defenses than being on the field and seeing it first hand?   Use his talent, but expect him to process what he sees from a different perspective.

And I don't mean take the ball out of Wentz's hands or taking him out of the game in the red zone. Wentz is one of the best QBs in the league in the red zone.  Make Hurts another weapon that Wentz can use.....

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

Yeah.. If only we got Jerry Jones. He gets his team the Lamb and Diggs! Such a genius. And we only got Reagor and Hurts. So bad! 

Time will tell.

I'd much rather having Jerry drafting. Than Howie. Jerry seems to kill it in the draft every year starting back when they drafted Travis Frederick. They're much better at drafting than the Eagles. They always have a talented roster but their problems have been with the coaching staff led by Garrett. Now he's gone and a competent coaching staff in place it's no denying they're ahead of us now. You're crazy for trying to ridicule Jerry and his drafting. 

• Like 1

I'd much rather having Jerry drafting. Than Howie. Jerry seems to kill it in the draft every year starting back when they drafted Travis Frederick. They're much better at drafting than the Eagles. They always have a talented roster but their problems have been with the coaching staff led by Garrett. Now he's gone and a competent coaching staff in place it's no denying they're ahead of us now. You're crazy for trying to ridicule Jerry and his drafting. 

Absolutely agree. We give Jerry a lot of ish and rightly so. I hate him and his team but they draft well. They don't maximise that with their coaching choices but they sure draft a lot of talent. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Infam said:

Time will tell.

I think Lamb will turn out to be a good player.  But don't lose sight of the fact that he is a product of the Air Raid, and that could have inflated his stats.  Hurts excelled both at Bama and OU.  Not using that as an excuse - just pointing out facts.  Time will tell.

I said the same thing, Jerry can draft. he just gets in the way in other ways that ruin that team. 

id make the call if I was Lurie to see if Jerry would take a step aside from being a Billionaire to be our draft guru. Him and Howie can work together. Thunder Buddies

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely agree. We give Jerry a lot of ish and rightly so. I hate him and his team but they draft well. They don't maximise that with their coaching choices but they sure draft a lot of talent. 

Dallas builds a bunch of individual players.  The Eagles build a team.  If you compare rosters position by position, Dallas should be running away with the NFC East every year and should advance far into the playoffs.  But the Cowboys always seems to fall flat on their face.  Why is that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Best player available.  Old school drafting.

if you compare hurts' college career with tua's and love's...  there's no way either should have gone before hurts.  but tua was a top 5 pick..  and love went in the first round.

if you're looking at the draft board, knowing nothing is glaringly wrong with hurts -- you start wondering if other teams are seeing the same things you are.  howie makes a call to wentz and tells him hurts could be a thing at 53 if he inexplicably falls there.  howie had to let wentz know that there could be qb controversy, but the value was too high.

there was no way not to draft hurts there.  hurts was not going to last.  it was a game of who'd realize it first and howie did.

• Like 2

Just now, Procus said:

Dallas builds a bunch of individual players.  The Eagles build a team.  If you compare rosters position by position, Dallas should be running away with the NFC East every year and should advance far into the playoffs.  But the team always seems to fall flat on its face.  Why is that?

They've changed HC now so we may see a change there. 

• Like 1