Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, Procus said:

I think Lamb will turn out to be a good player.  But don't lose sight of the fact that he is a product of the Air Raid, and that could have inflated his stats.  Hurts excelled both at Bama and OU.  Not using that as an excuse - just pointing out facts.  Time will tell.

I dont mind Reagor, dont mind Hurts. Would I have taken Lamb over Reagor and Hurts together which was the potential trade for picks? Yea I would. I think most would and now its in the past I think people are upset even more knowing that.

24 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

slept and thought about this pick...

looking at the guys drafted ahead of hurts, there's no way tua or love should've gone ahead of him.  the guy has put together one of the best college careers, with a 2019 performance only outdone by burrow -- having the best year of a college qb ever.  but to be drafted behind tua and love...  and also passed up on by other teams which needed a qb more than the eagles.

by his metrics, he shouldn't have fallen to where eagles could have drafted him.  his college career stats, by any and all indications, should've put him higher.  yet he's down near the bottom of the 2nd round, going to a team with an established franchise guy.

the eagles should NOT have been able to touch hurts.  he's not some slouch, johnny football, flash-in-the-pan, one-trick, media-hyped, aberration that's destined to fail.  the guy is a legit player, that put up big numbers at the most important position on the field -- starting for two of the most historic franchises in college football.

the eagles couldn't pass him up.  even if there was a need elsewhere.  sitting behind wentz and being brought in sparingly will allow him time to develop -- and when all is said and done, the eagles could have a gluttony of riches at qb.

howie was right to call wentz and tell him that hurts could have been at option at 53 if he fell that low --  because there was no way hurts should have fallen that low.

i was shocked by the pick at the time, but after sleeping on it.  i can see why howie did it.  there will be qb controversy, it's why they let carson know about the plan ahead of time.  but carson is the ultimate pro.  in a game where the guy under center is the most important guy on the field, hurts should've been long gone by pick 53.

You do realize Kingsbury's offense manufactured much of those stats right?

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Giants

• Round 1, No. 4 overall | Andrew Thomas, offensive tackle, Georgia. ...
  • Round 2, No. 36 overall | Xavier McKinney, safety, Alabama. ...
  • Round 3, No. 99 overall | Matt Peart, offensive tackle, UConn.

One of the highest regarded safety's in the country,  and 2 solid o line talent in which was one of there biggest weaknesses.

Dallas

1 17 WR CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma B+
2 51 CB Trevon Diggs, Alabama B+
3 82 DL Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma A

3 studs with huge upside and high ceilings

Redskins

Round   Player Selected
1 2 EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State
3 66

RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis

Chase is regarded as the best overall overall player of the entire draft and Antonio can score from anywhere on the field.

Eagles??

Outside speed receiver that some are saying we drafted to high..a quarterback that may never see the field and a linebacker that is raw, inexperienced and undersized.

See what i did there???

OK - Again how many of these players are going to be impact players THIS YEAR when the NFL will not have OTAs, might not have training camp and the season may not even start on time?

I am not even trying to defend this weird pick - just pointing out that most likely ANYONE we draft is not going to be an impact player right away and most likely will not even start until way late in the year, and that goes for any of these picks this year.

This draft is more about 2021 then it is 2020 because of the circumstances surrounding it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They've changed HC now so we may see a change there. 

Yes.  We will see how good a HC Mike McCarthy is without having Aaron Rodgers.  McCarthy got stale and lazy in GB.  We'll see if he can regain his old mojo in Dallas.  No shortage of individual talent on that team.

Just now, Procus said:

Yes.  We will see how good a HC Mike McCarthy is without having Aaron Rodgers.  McCarthy got stale and lazy in GB.  We'll see if he can regain his old mojo in Dallas.  No shortage of individual talent on that team.

He also didn't have the offensive weapons that Dallas does. So a worse QB but better all around weapons. 

Just now, b_west3 said:

Kingsbury never coached at OU - Lincoln Riley did.  Hurts excelled at Alabama but transferred to OU when it was clear Tua would be the starter at Bama.

1 minute ago, Procus said:

Kingsbury never coached at OU - Lincoln Riley did.  Hurts excelled at Alabama but transferred to OU when it was clear Tua would be the starter at Bama.

Yeah I got the names mixed up but you get the point. 

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

Dallas builds a bunch of individual players.  The Eagles build a team.  If you compare rosters position by position, Dallas should be running away with the NFC East every year and should advance far into the playoffs.  But the Cowboys always seems to fall flat on their face.  Why is that?

Because Jerry is a good talent evaluator yes but a Horrible GM lol. he gets in the way too much. he can pick players, but doesnt let his coaches coach. he sticks his nose in where it doesnt belong. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

OK - Again how many of these players are going to be impact players THIS YEAR when the NFL will not have OTAs, might not have training camp and the season may not even start on time?

I am not even trying to defend this weird pick - just pointing out that most likely ANYONE we draft is not going to be an impact player right away and most likely will not even start until way late in the year, and that goes for any of these picks this year.

This draft is more about 2021 then it is 2020 because of the circumstances surrounding it.

We may not even have a season in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

Dallas builds a bunch of individual players.  The Eagles build a team.  If you compare rosters position by position, Dallas should be running away with the NFC East every year and should advance far into the playoffs.  But the team always seems to fall flat on its face.  Why is that?

The coaching staff and micro management afterwards. Dallas builds through the draft and Howie is builds through FA

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Because Jerry is a good talent evaluator yes but a Horrible GM lol. he gets in the way too much. he can pick players, but doesnt let his coaches coach. he sticks his nose in where it doesnt belong. 

Well said

Just now, Heavywchamp said:

The coaching staff and micro management afterwards. Dallas builds through the draft and Howie is builds through FA

Which begs the question of who the Eagles plan to bring in as veteran free agents after the draft.  IIRC, the Eagles brought in impact veteran players in 2017 AFTER the draft.

1 minute ago, b_west3 said:

i would agree with that assessment, if hurts only played for one college team.  the guy did it for two clubs.  it's the same adage of "well, he did it for one team..  can he do it on another?"..  and hurts did.  also, kingsbury's style of offense is being used more and more in the pros.  how could you see that as a drawback?  

• Like 2

Just now, Procus said:

We may not even have a season in 2020.

Exactly.

So if you are expecting a shorted or no season at all this yer, do you draft for immediate need now or do you draft looking at 2021.

If you look at it that way then this pick makes a ton of sense.

Honestly I don't think even Hurts was thrilled to be drafted here.

Just now, JayEcho said:

i would agree with that assessment, if hurts only played for one college team.  the guy did it for two clubs.  it's the same adage of "well, he did it for one team..  can he do it on another?"..  and hurts did.  also, kingsbury's style of offense is being used more and more in the pros.  how could you see that as a drawback?  

Go read the article posted about Lincoln Riley in the 411.  I think it gives a good backstory to this pick.

• Like 1

Just now, Uscg-green said:

This is the kind of draft that gets a GM fired.

I hope you're right. I hope we don't have to wait long either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope you're right. I hope we don't have to wait long either. 

The messed up part is just last season I was a big Howie defender. And I still like his contracts and FA acquisitions but he does not belong in the draft room.

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

Which begs the question of who the Eagles plan to bring in as veteran free agents after the draft.  IIRC, the Eagles brought in impact veteran players in 2017 AFTER the draft.

All I remember is a mid season trade to get Ajayi. Most other impact new additions were through FA

• Like 1

Just now, Uscg-green said:

The messed up part is just last season I was a big Howie defender. And I still like his contracts and FA acquisitions but he does not belong in the draft room.

I mean 2017 he nailed everything. 2018 I was behind him. He made good moves that didn't work out due to injuries. But he's overall body of work is poor at best.

7 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

This is the kind of draft that gets a GM fired.

We can only hope. 

9 minutes ago, Procus said:

yup..  i think the birds in 17 brought in blount later in the offseason and then traded for ajayi.  there's time to still add talent even after the draft because of all the cuts and free agents that will be available.  heck even trades.

4 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

All I remember is a mid season trade to get Ajayi. Most other impact new additions were through FA

there were impact veteran players signed post-draft.  Blount and Long come to mind.  They also signed Jake Eliot off the Bengals practice squad.  Don't remember the timing of the Patrick Robinson signing.

17 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

I wish he had done that this year and given the second round for Yannick or someone else

• Like 1