Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

there were impact veteran players signed post-draft.  Blount and Long come to mind.  They also signed Jake Eliot off the Bengals practice squad.  Don't remember the timing of the Patrick Robinson signing.

This pick is mind blowing. The Eagles let Foles go so there could be less drama around the QBs. Ok money played a role. But then do this which opens up all that drama again. 

1 minute ago, KillerDawk20 said:

This pick is mind blowing. The Eagles let Foles go so there could be less drama around the QBs. Ok money played a role. But then do this which opens up all that drama again. 

Or the whole drama was an overblown media story and it was just Foles wanting to start and get paid after the SB.

I think Wentz and Hurts will be friends, more than rivals.

• Like 1

Just now, KillerDawk20 said:

Actually, it doesn't.  Foles is a veteran who won the SB for the Eagles.  Hurts is a younger player with a lesser pedigree than Wentz.  Wentz is still the top dog with Hurts on the roster.  Not so if Foles stayed on the team.  That, plus Foles rightfully wanted starter money and to be a starter - who could blame him?

1 minute ago, Procus said:

there were impact veteran players signed post-draft.  Blount and Long come to mind.  They also signed Jake Eliot off the Bengals practice squad.  Don't remember the timing of the Patrick Robinson signing.

Maybe you're right because I don't remember the timing of those other moves. Fact remains that Howie is good during FA and trades but absolutely sucks at the draft. I do believe Reagor will be an impact player day 1 vs Lamb because of the situation. Lamb is walling in behind 2 already solid WRs and will play the 3rd option mostly. Reagor should be our instant #1 because let's face it, AJ may never be the same impact player playing at a high level and we all know DJax is gonna have his injuries. 

Just now, Infam said:

I think Wentz and Hurts will be friends, more than rivals.

Wentz probably will remain professional because he seems that kind. I can't see it being a great dynamic though. Wentz must be seriously p'ed off.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wentz probably will remain professional because he seems that kind. I can't see it being a great dynamic though. Wentz must be seriously p'ed off.

The two high character super religious dudes will find a way to make the best of it, I am sure.

Just now, KillerDawk20 said:

which is why they let wentz know about the pick.  the value was too high.  if you look at hurts', tua's, and love's college careers...  there's no way either tua or love should've been drafted before hurts.  but tua was a top 5 pick and love went in the first.  if you're going by that...  hurts was arguably a top 5 pick..  that howie got at 53.

and the thing is, hurts has no character issues or glaring injury issues.  his only "issues" are mechanics, but that's what coaches are for.  even wentz has mechanics issues (ex: holding the ball too low / with one hand causing fumbles).

at 53, howie could NOT pass up hurts.

• Like 2

Just now, Infam said:

The two high character super religious dudes will find a way to make the best of it, I am sure.

Ok great with not much else around them on offense. So glad they'll be good friends though. Winning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Procus said:

Actually, it doesn't.  Foles is a veteran who won the SB for the Eagles.  Hurts is a younger player with a lesser pedigree than Wentz.  Wentz is still the top dog with Hurts on the roster.  Not so if Foles stayed on the team.  That, plus Foles rightfully wanted starter money and to be a starter - who could blame him?

If Hurts is one of the top QBs in this draft, then isn't he also going to want to start, or compete to be a starter, or go somewhere where at the very least, the incumbent is a year or two away from retirement? So as it is, we draft a QB who can sign a maximum of a 4 year deal, and then what?

A 2nd round pick should be used on a player you hope to keep around for a long time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

yup..  i think the birds in 17 brought in blount later in the offseason and then traded for ajayi.  there's time to still add talent even after the draft because of all the cuts and free agents that will be available.  heck even trades.

Maybe hurts is trade bait to Jacksonville?

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

If Hurts is one of the top QBs in this draft, then isn't he also going to want to start, or compete to be a starter, or go somewhere where at the very least, the incumbent is a year or two away from retirement? So as it is, we draft a QB who can sign a maximum of a 4 year deal, and then what?

Let's assume he is. He will want to start eventually, and the Eagles will respect that. But we will get something back, after enjoying a top backup with fun plays for a cheap rookie deal and a second rounder. Everybody wins.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

A 2nd round pick should be used on a player you hope to keep around for a long time.

Value is value.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Maybe hurts is trade bait to Jacksonville?

only if jacksonville offers up a couple of first rounders in a couple of years.

we often joke about howie being asleep behind the wheel, but realizing what the birds got in hurts leads me to believe every other gm / coach was asleep this time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

Crazy! 

And brilliant

Most of the fan base loves Wentz, myself included, but if he cant finish a season for the 4th year in a row then you need a plan.  What better plan than a cheap 2nd round QB that has real potential.  Its a QB league, nothing else matters.

I hate to say it but you're right.

Remember Hill was drafted for the express purpose of replacing Brees who also has arm injury issues.

This is NOT just a gimmick QB. If he plays well he is Wentz replacement.

Just now, Infam said:

Let's assume he is. He will want to start eventually, and the Eagles will respect that. But we will get something back, after enjoying a top backup with fun plays for a cheap rookie deal and a second rounder. Everybody wins.

Value is value.

And if Hurts is a gadget player at best, you're not going to get the value you hope for, especially since other teams know you're going to be in a bind of either allowing him to walk for nothing, or having to sign him to the dreaded "2nd contract" that isn't going to be practical given where we'll be with the Wentz deal.

This was very poorly thought out.

1 minute ago, Madriver said:

This is NOT just a gimmick QB. If he plays well he is Wentz replacement.

And if true makes the Wentz contract a really really bad move that sets us back years.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

And if Hurts is a gadget player at best, you're not going to get the value you hope for, especially since other teams know you're going to be in a bind of either allowing him to walk for nothing, or having to sign him to the dreaded "2nd contract" that isn't going to be practical given where we'll be with the Wentz deal.

This was very poorly thought out.

If Hurts turns out to be a bad player, you were right and I was wrong.

But he will be awesome, and I will be right. Sorry! 😄

I had a image in my mind.

Im sitting in my seats, Wind whipping through my bald head, Slapping over aggressive high fives with my fellow section fans,

All of a sudden Wentz throws a pick in the endzone.

A small sound emerges from the bone head fans and begins to get louder

"We want Hurts, We want Hurts" 

LOL sadly I know it will happen.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And if true makes the Wentz contract a really really bad move that sets us back years.

not at all, wentz in the franchise..  just because you have your franchise guy doesn't meant you can't have a gluttony of riches.  especially if they fall to your lap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

only if jacksonville offers up a couple of first rounders in a couple of years.

we often joke about howie being asleep behind the wheel, but realizing what the birds got in hurts leads me to believe every other gm / coach was asleep this time.

This was probably Howies worst pick ever. We have our guy. We do not need a QB controversy from a gimmick QB.

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

I had a image in my mind.

Im sitting in my seats, Wind whipping through my bald head, Slamming over aggressive high fives with my fellow section fans,

All of a sudden Wentz throws a pick in the endzone.

A small sound emerges from the bone head fans and begins to get louder

"We want Hurts, We want Hurts" 

LOL sadly I know it will happen.

Same thing was said about Foles before, but it only ever were a few. I think us fans, we always knew what we had in Wentz. And it will remain that way.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

If Hurts turns out to be a bad player, you were right and I was wrong.

But he will be awesome, and I will be right. Sorry! 😄

I'm not even arguing about Hurts being good or bad. I'm arguing the decision to use a 2nd round pick on him given OUR situation. A 2nd round pick should have a high probability of starting, or contributing significant playing time. I don't see that happening here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

not at all, wentz in the franchise..  just because you have your franchise guy doesn't meant you can't have a gluttony of riches.  especially if they fall to your lap.

Given that only 1 QB typically plays at a time, lets get that gluttony of riches at WR, or on the line, or all throughout the defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Exactly! We passed up several potential impact players that could've been Day 1 starters. We passed on some talented Safeties and WRs. A 2nd round pick was an expensive price to pay for 2 or 3 gadget plays a game. I'm gonna lose my freaking mind the first time we see Wentz split out wide and Hurts at QB only to get stuffed trying to run a wildcat or something. 

• Like 1

Just now, Uscg-green said:

This was probably Howies worst pick ever. We have our guy. We do not need a QB controversy from a gimmick QB.

he's not a gimmick qb.  compare hurts' college career with tua and love.  there is NO WAY either should've been drafted before him.  howie arguably got a top 5 player (where tua went), at 53.  hurts is a player.  he put up stats on two historic college franchises.  that does not say he's a "gimmick" qb.

and the player has no character issues and glaring injury issues to boot.