Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And if true makes the Wentz contract a really really bad move that sets us back years.

Thing is, if he's not the eventual replacement they could've easily picked up Flacco or someone else in FA. 

The more I think about this the more it seems like a move for the future, not the present.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wentz' deal had some kind of injury clause to give them an out.

4 hours ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

Because Sudfeld stinks and available veteran QBs also stink/ or are too expensive.  I never said there's a 50/50 chance second round picks become studs.  I said half of second round picks amount to nothing, of the other half only a few become impactful.  

There's not enough film on Sudfeld to know for sure that he "stinks".  All of the veterans would not be "too expensive", and we're not looking for an all pro here we're looking for a decent backup. 

Okay so, it's better to just waste a pick than take a chance on getting an impact player?  Got it. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm not even arguing about Hurts being good or bad. I'm arguing the decision to use a 2nd round pick on him given OUR situation. A 2nd round pick should have a high probability of starting, or contributing significant playing time. I don't see that happening here.

In my mind, if he turns out to be a great player - and I believe he will - we got a great player at the most important position.

I don't always want them to plan in best case. The Eagles have overcome absurd amounts of injuries lately. If we can even overcome Wentz missing some time, nobody is going to stop us.:Eagle_smiley:

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Given that only 1 QB typically plays at a time, lets get that gluttony of riches at WR, or on the line, or all throughout the defense.

what is the most important position on the football field?  i'd rather have a gluttony there.

1 minute ago, JayEcho said:

he's not a gimmick qb.  compare hurts' college career with tua and love.  there is NO WAY either should've been drafted before him.  howie arguably got a top 5 player (where tua went), at 53.  hurts is a player.  he put up stats on two historic college franchises.  that does not say he's a "gimmick" qb.

and the player has no character issues and glaring injury issues to boot.

He may not be a gimmick QB by nature, but the manner that WE would have to use him screams gimmick. You surely don't think he's going to compete for a starting job, do you?

Still trying to figure out the Hurts thing. To put him in the game like LJackson or Taysom Hill, it’s usually in the red zone or short yardage, right? I looked it up and Baltimore had 64.71% td rate in the red zone. That was 4th behind Tennessee (an ungodly 77%), Green Bay (67%) and Tamp Bay (64.81%). 

well.... the thing is.... Eagles were pretty good in the red zone. Ranked 8th with a 63.16% td rate. 

so.......?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heavywchamp said:

Exactly! We passed up several potential impact players that could've been Day 1 starters. We passed on some talented Safeties and WRs. A 2nd round pick was an expensive price to pay for 2 or 3 gadget plays a game. I'm gonna lose my freaking mind the first time we see Wentz split out wide and Hurts at QB only to get stuffed trying to run a wildcat or something. 

I think the bigger example that will be shown over and over again and has already started on WIP is who would you rather have? Lamb or Reagor and Hurts? Its puting even more fuel on the fire. Ray Diddy, Love ya, lol

Just now, JayEcho said:

he's not a gimmick qb.  compare hurts' college career with tua and love.  there is NO WAY either should've been drafted before him.  howie arguably got a top 5 player (where tua went), at 53.  hurts is a player.  he put up stats on two historic college franchises.  that does not say he's a "gimmick" qb.

and the player has no character issues and glaring injury issues to boot.

I'm an Alabama fan and I've seen a ton of his games. Tua was way better. Who cares about Character issues? And btw I bet you even Hurts doesn't like this pick. He wants a chance to start not come in for gimmick play or two. Meanwhile Carson misses out on getting another weapon because we used our pick on a guy that's going to spend his entire Eagles career with a ball cap and clipboard.

1 minute ago, JayEcho said:

what is the most important position on the football field?  i'd rather have a gluttony there.

So why not invest first rounders there?

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

Let's assume he is. He will want to start eventually, and the Eagles will respect that. But we will get something back, after enjoying a top backup with fun plays for a cheap rookie deal and a second rounder. Everybody wins.

Value is value.

You call getting stuffed running the wildcat fun plays?

The writers and tv commentators def have stores to make money on after this eagles draft. Howie is just trying to keep people employed during an economical struggle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

In my mind, if he turns out to be a great player - and I believe he will - we got a great player at the most important position.

He will spend his eagles career with a clipboard and ball cap.

Just now, Heavywchamp said:

Wait your saying Marty Morningwegs Wildcat with Vick and Mcnabb didnt work? Oh boy I forgot, it didnt. Crap. 

1 minute ago, Heavywchamp said:

I think DP is a great coach, and he will find fun ways to use Hurts. This season.

Just now, Infam said:

I think DP is a great coach, and he will find fun ways to use Hurts. This season.

How about we not take plays away from our 100 million dollar QB.

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He may not be a gimmick QB by nature, but the manner that WE would have to use him screams gimmick. You surely don't think he's going to compete for a starting job, do you?

i believe doug will give him every chance to be successful.  and if that involves him being the starter in the future, doug will let him do it.  wentz is the franchise, but we don't know what will happen in the future.

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'm an Alabama fan and I've seen a ton of his games. Tua was way better. Who cares about Character issues? And btw I bet you even Hurts doesn't like this pick. He wants a chance to start not come in for gimmick play or two. Meanwhile Carson misses out on getting another weapon because we used our pick on a guy that's going to spend his entire Eagles career with a ball cap and clipboard.

so you're projecting YOU not liking this pick onto hurts not liking being picked.  if i was a guy who worked my whole life to get into the nfl, i'd be over the moon just being drafted.  and also having a chance to prove every team that passed me up wrong.

3 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

i believe doug will give him every chance to be successful.  and if that involves him being the starter in the futuer, dough will let him do it.  wentz is the franchise, but we don't know what will happen in the future.

so you're projecting YOU not liking this pick onto hurts not liking being picked.  if i was a guy who worked my whole life to get into the nfl, i'd be over the moon just being drafted.  and also having a chance to prove every team that passed me up wrong.

If I was a guy that worked my entire life to get into the NFL I would want to go to a place I could actually start and make a difference. And nobody passed on him. He was never rated as a 1st round talent. If anything he was taken early. 

2 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

i believe doug will give him every chance to be successful.  and if that involves him being the starter in the futuer, dough will let him do it.  wentz is the franchise, but we don't know what will happen in the future.

If they have any inkling that Hurts will be a future starter here, then they screwed up royally giving Wentz the deal they did, and they may as well look to trade him soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Wait your saying Marty Morningwegs Wildcat with Vick and Mcnabb didnt work? Oh boy I forgot, it didnt. Crap. 

Ughh I forgot we got Marty back. This just makes it worse!

4 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

believe doug will give him every chance to be successful.  and if that involves him being the starter in the future, doug will let him do it.

So then Wentz contract was really really stupid then huh?

Just now, Uscg-green said:

If I was a guy that worked my entire life to get into the NFL I would want to go to a place I could actually start and make a difference.

if i was a guy that worked my entire life to get into the nfl, i'd want to go to a franchise that was actually successful.  especially if i have the skill to make a difference.  imagine being drafted by the browns of the world, knowing all the potential you have.  and having a train wreck of a franchise derail you before you even begin.

the eagles are anything BUT one of those teams...  even though the fanbase at large doesn't it that way.  eagles have been successful for a while, and i'm betting hurts is actually thankful to be in this situation than in a situation where he's brought in to fail. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

If they have any inkling that Hurts will be a future starter here, then they screwed up royally giving Wentz the deal they did, and they may as well look to trade him soon.

That's what these few Hurts supporters don't get.  You get your 100 MIllion dollar QB weapons not controversy.

Just now, JayEcho said:

if i was a guy that worked my entire life to get into the nfl, i'd want to go to a franchise that was actually successful.  especially if i have the skill to make a difference.  imagine being drafted by the browns of the world, knowing all the potential you have.  and having a train wreck of a franchise derail you before you even begin.

the eagles are anything BUT one of those teams...  even though the fanbase at large doesn't it that way.  eagles have been successful for a while, and i'm betting hurts is actually thankful to be in this situation than in a situation where he's brought in to fail. 

So he can hold a clipboard and hope Wentz gets hurt?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

nope, you can have your franchise NOW and also have the guy which you can groom for the future.  it's actually pretty smart.  especially if the guy you're grooming has put together one of the better college careers on two of the most historic college franchises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

That's what these few Hurts supporters don't get.  You get your 100 MIllion dollar QB weapons not controversy.

Exactly.

Just now, JayEcho said:

nope, you can have your franchise NOW and also have the guy which you can groom for the future.  it's actually pretty smart.  especially if the guy you're grooming has put together one of the better college careers on two of the most historic college franchises.

Sure. Do that when your QB is in his mid 30's and could be a few years away from retiring. You don't do that after signing your QB to a 9 digit figure contract who is just about to enter his prime years.

• Like 2