Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, JayEcho said:

nope, you can have your franchise NOW and also have the guy which you can groom for the future

Wentz is 27 years old!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’d love for Wentz to stay healthy also. But if he does, this is a wasted pick.

The pick strikes me as being insurance. It also strikes me that they don't see Sudfeld in their future plans. 

If Wentz can’t stay healthy, then we royally screwed up extending him. 

I sincerely hope not. Howie already has the Alshon contract to get out of.

If Wentz doesn't pan out that makes two  MAJOR  bad deals within one year.

17 minutes ago, Madriver said:

The more I think about this the more it seems like a move for the future, not the present.

Wentz is supposed to be the future though.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Sure. Do that when your QB is in his mid 30's and could be a few years away from retiring. You don't do that after signing your QB to a 9 digit figure contract who is just about to enter his prime years.

Thank you! This isnt hard! Drafting his replacement? Hes 27 years old entering his prime. He came off his rookie deal like 5 minutes ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

So he can hold a clipboard and hope Wentz gets hurt?

you do know that the backup qb does more than hold the clipboard, right?  the backup qb throughout the week will run the opposing team's offense to get the defense ready..  while also having to know his own team's offense in case the starter goes down.

hurts will do everything wentz will be doing and more.  people joke about the backup only holding a clipboard on sundays, but so much more is done by that position.

3 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

A 2nd round pick shouldn't be "insurance" though. It should be a player you anticipate getting significant playing time.

1 minute ago, JayEcho said:

you do know that the backup qb does more than hold the clipboard, right?  the backup qb throughout the week will run the opposing team's offense to get the defense ready..  while also having to know his own team's offense in case the starter goes down.

hurts will do everything wentz will be doing and more.  people joke about the backup only holding a clipboard on sundays, but so much more is done by that position.

They don't play in the actual game. That's what NFL players wanna do. They don't grow up throwing balls in the back yard with dream of running an NFL scout team!

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Sure. Do that when your QB is in his mid 30's and could be a few years away from retiring. You don't do that after signing your QB to a 9 digit figure contract who is just about to enter his prime years.

why wait until wentz is in his mid 30's?  we don't know what could happen between now and then.  people often say you're only one hit in this sport.

hurts fell into howie's lap and is arguably a top 5 pick going by his stats compared to tua and love.  and howie got him at 53.

• Like 1

But you use a practice squad player or 3rd stringer to do that not a 2nd round pick!  

hurts fell into howie's lap and is arguably a top 5 pick going by his stats compared to tua and love

You just lost all credibility. Top 5 pick? LMAO. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I mean if Wentz was 36 years old fine. Hes 27!

i'd love for wentz to be here at 36, healthy, on a team-friendly contract...  but that's not guaranteed.

Just now, JayEcho said:

why wait until wentz is in his mid 30's?  we don't know what could happen between now and then.  people often say you're only one hit in this sport.

hurts fell into howie's lap and is arguably a top 5 pick going by his stats compared to tua and love.  and howie got him at 53.

So I'll ask again. If a top 5 pick is great value at 53, then it's still great value at 21, so why not take him in the first round?  Gluttony of riches, right?

i'd love for wentz to be here at 36, healthy, on a team-friendly contract...  but that's not guaranteed.

Nothing is Guaranteed. But you can't waste high draft picks on what ifs! You get pieces in the first 2 rounds to win now.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

You just lost all credibility. Top 5 pick? LMAO

where was tua picked?  you could argue hurts had a better college career looking at the stats.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

So I'll ask again. If a top 5 pick is great value at 53, then it's still great value at 21, so why not take him in the first round?  Gluttony of riches, right?

because howie didn't think hurts would still be there at 53.  which is why he was taken there.  we needed a wr too.  so we got one at 21.  53 rolls around and a guy which should've been drafted long before is still on the board.

Just now, JayEcho said:

where was tua picked?  you could argue hurts had a better college career looking at the stats.

Newsflash College stats don't mean much. Tebow had historic college stats. How did that work out? His style of play does not transfer to the NFL. You have to be able to drop 5 steps and throw in the pocket. That isnt Hurts. 

Just now, Mike030270 said:

This is how I look at you all trying to justify it

This Is Fine GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Well apparently we got a " top 5 pick". LMAO.

because howie didn't think hurts would still be there at 53.  which is why he was taken there.  we needed a wr too.  so we got one at 21.  53 rolls around and a guy which should've been drafted long before is still on the board.

But QB is the most important position in football. Why not get the QB in round 1 and get your WR at 53?

Just watched a bunch of national stuff on the Hurts pick and surprisingly it has gotten a very positive reaction over all. So what the F are we missing and what is the disconnect between Philly fans/media and the national people. I feel like my head is going to explode.

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Nothing is Guaranteed. But you can't waste high draft picks on what ifs!

it's not a what-if or a waste.  a guy that had arguably a better college career than a guy picked top 5.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Newsflash College stats don't mean much. Tebow had historic college stats. How did that work out? His style of play does not transfer to the NFL. You have to be able to drop 5 steps and throw in the pocket. That isnt Hurts. 

now you lost all credibility.  i mean burrow shot up so high because of his 2019...  or do you want to argue that?

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

But QB is the most important position in football. Why not get the QB in round 1 and get your WR at 53?

I give you credit on being able top continue the argument after he said top 5 pick.

it's not a what-if or a waste.  a guy that had arguably a better college career than a guy picked top 5.

now you lost all credibility.  i mean burrow shot up so high because of his 2019...  or do you want to argue that?

I don't think Burrow will be as good as people think.  Especially since he is going to the Bungals. But he will be decent because Burrow can throw in the pocket.