Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

Just now, eglz1 said:

Or you think you're smarter/more ahead of the curve than the rest of the league.

Or it's both. I think you both are right.

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Translation: I now realize how foolish I look and want out of this position pronto!

It's why he doesn't want to respond to me. He backed himself into a corner.

I'm still hoping he is trade bait for Yannick. I know it's not likely. 

Just now, Uscg-green said:

I'm still hoping he is trade bait for Yannick. I know it's not likely. 

I think that would've happened immediately on the same day.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

It's why he doesn't want to respond to me. He backed himself into a corner.

Yeah I called him on the excuse that you don't watch college football by saying I do so argue with me. Still no. 

Just now, CaliEagle said:

I think that would've happened immediately on the same day.

Sigh. I know you are most likely right but I'm holding out a sliver of hope.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Yeah I called him on the excuse that you don't watch college football by saying I do so argue with me. Still no. 

And the thing is, I'm not arguing Player X is a better prospect than Player Y. I'm arguing the position addressed in that position.

HE is the one that said he wants a gluttony of riches at the most important position in football, so it's a simple question. Why not take a top 5 player at that position at 21, and get the WR later?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Newsflash College stats don't mean much. Tebow had historic college stats. How did that work out? His style of play does not transfer to the NFL. You have to be able to drop 5 steps and throw in the pocket. That isnt Hurts. 

Maybe not if you're a 3/8 back -- half quarterback and half halfback.

1 minute ago, Toastrel said:

I bet we can draft a waterboy and a parking lot attendant today!

Nah the smart play is looking for Swoops replacement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sad because I keep trying to justify this damn pick and I can't. Only thing I keep telling myself is if Carson gets hurt again and this guy steps in and plays great it will all be worth it. That's the best spin I can put on this. With Carson's injury issues we may see this kid soon

Since Foles took over for Wentz in '17 there's been an ever increasing drum beat of Wentz being brittle and the Eags shoulda kept Foles and yada yada yada. Since we've had Sudfeld for over 3 years now, and he's not locked up long term, we have to figure Sudfeld is gone next year and Hurts is the new #2 man.

If Wentz gets knocked out again this team will have to make a few decisions . . . the hardest of which will be what to do with Wentz. The Eags can't be paying Wentz over $100 mil. and him not be on the field.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

And the thing is, I'm not arguing Player X is a better prospect than Player Y. I'm arguing the position addressed in that position.

Exactly

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Apparently so yeah. 

He wasn't even BPA so I'm not sure what Howie's strategy is. 

Even if the strategy is to trade for a pick down the road, you invested a 2nd round pick. What exactly is Howie expecting in return? So it wasn't done for future draft capital.

I think if you pick a QB in the second round, you are expecting him to become your starter at some point. The only way this pick makes sense is if you believe there is a substantial probability that you are expecting to trade *Wentz* down the road. Then this pick makes some sense. Maybe.

2 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

typical Howie. Always thinking he's smarter than everyone else. 

Hmmmmm . . . must be a Liberal.    :whistle:

• Haha 2

Adam schefter said this is just in case Carson Wentz gets the corona virus.

I just can't.

Jalen Reagor... Jalen Hurts... hmmm... any more Jalen's waiting in the wings?

2 minutes ago, Hpowner said:

Adam schefter said this is just in case Carson Wentz gets the corona virus.

I just can't.

I think Hurts will play the 1st 2 qtrs of each game, giving Carson more "wake up" time.

3 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Hmmmmm . . . must be a Liberal.    :whistle:

Nah that has conservative written all over it. I also heard of another guy somewhere that thinks he's smarter than everyone else that suggested if injecting disinfectants is a good idea. 

Anyway, back to football....

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

I think Hurts will play the 1st 2 qtrs of each game, giving Carson more "wake up" time.

You might be on to something there.

2 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Since Foles took over for Wentz in '17 there's been an ever increasing drum beat of Wentz being brittle and the Eags shoulda kept Foles and yada yada yada. Since we've had Sudfeld for over 3 years now, and he's not locked up long term, we have to figure Sudfeld is gone next year and Hurts is the new #2 man.

If Wentz gets knocked out again this team will have to make a few decisions . . . the hardest of which will be what to do with Wentz. The Eags can't be paying Wentz over $100 mil. and him not be on the field.

I can't say I disagree with any of that. I believe the eagles have an out with Wentz contract after 2021. 

4 hours ago, KillerDawk20 said:

This pick is mind blowing. The Eagles let Foles go so there could be less drama around the QBs.

Ok money played a role. But then do this which opens up all that drama again. 

Yeah but at least now they have 4 years to figure out what to do next.     :D

4 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

I'm gonna lose my freaking mind the first time we see Wentz split out wide and Hurts at QB only to get stuffed trying to run a wildcat or something. 

Yeah meetoo . . . I don't  _ever_  wanna see Wentz split out wide again. Too risky . . . the dude's brittle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Not arguing against you, just asking:  If what you say is true then why was he there at pick #53 ?

From what I've read he's not injured or injury prone so . . . WTF ?

i can't say what other gm's or coaches have on their boards, but maybe they thought he'd continue sliding and available when we saw the run on quarterbacks happening later in the draft.  burrow was a given take.  tua was expected, love was a shocker.

but i bet howie started to look at the stats of the quarterbacks taken and saw that between tua, burrow, and hurts...  there wasn't much of a discrepancy and hurts was somehow slipping.

like i said, we often joke about howie sleeping at the wheel, but for once...  he may have been the only one awake.  he knew an actual qb needy team may wake up and see that hurts was actually available.  so he called wentz and told him if hurts continues to fall, he could be an option at 53.

howie knows the bees nest he would potentially be stirring with the media, especially with the pick at 53.  but the value was too high.  it's the most important spot on the field, and a guy that could've and should've probably gone (based on his stats, character, and measurables)...  was falling to the end of the second round.

again, compare hurts' college career to tua's and love's.  there's NO WAY he should've fallen that far.  eagles should not have been able to touch hurts.  but there he was in their lap.  as you said, he's not injured or injury prone...  and he has great character.  he was grilled when he was benched for tua...  but was the ultimate professional about it.

after sleeping on the shock, i'm amazed no other gm or head coach saw it before howie.