Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Then why did we select a QB, for 2 plays a game?

Exactly! I could see some of these arguments people are making if they came prior to the draft! You could call someone a "Wentz hater” if they’re saying draft this kid and dump Wentz. The Eagles made the pick and created the confusion. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Exactly! I could see some of these arguments people are making if they came prior to the draft! You could call someone a "Wentz hater” if they’re saying draft this kid and dump Wentz. The Eagles made the pick and created the confusion. 

Just appears to me Howie is keeping all options open.You dont let a stud go at 53(mims or pick your guy) for a QB you dont need for no reason.Just a really oddball pick IMO.It's interesting to me that GB did the SAME THING

1 minute ago, mjkvol said:

Is this all documented stuff or just silly season bullschiit to generate clicks and idiotic threads on forums?        If they traded Dillard and Jeffrey, different story.       Why are some of you searching for conspiracies where there likely aren't any?

It’s been reported multiple times at different moment and it resurfaced at the draft. The story about Dillard was they offered and teams told them no. No matter how you try and slice this the Eagles still took a quarterback in the 2nd round and that’s not normal for a team to do that thinks they have their franchise quarterback. 

Then why did we select a QB, for 2 plays a game?

I don't know.           The pick is bizarre because of where it was, not because of the player.       I don't think the plan is 2 plays a game - I believe the Eagles are once again trying to be the smartest guy in the room and get a jump on the league with the kind of stuff the Ravens do and the Saints do with Hill.       Until proven otherwise, I'm thinking they took Hurts as an offensive weapon along with all that speed to make this offense impossible to defend.       Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

But I guarantee they didn't draft this kid in the 2nd round to hold a clipboard and run the Wildcat twice a game, and I find it impossible to believe that Lurie would swallow drafting Wentz' replacement right after handing him all that money.

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s been reported multiple times at different moment and it resurfaced at the draft. The story about Dillard was they offered and teams told them no. No matter how you try and slice this the Eagles still took a quarterback in the 2nd round and that’s not normal for a team to do that thinks they have their franchise quarterback. 

See my last post.

• Like 1

Just appears to me Howie is keeping all options open.You dont let a stud go at 53(mims or pick your guy) for a QB you dont need for no reason.Just a really oddball pick iMO

I mean if he’s that much a stud and he’s really not a need then why not trade back and acquire more picks? I mean they know how much drama they had to deal with just over the Foles stuff, but realistically there’s no way Foles would have took Carson’s job. That’s not the same type of scenario here picking this kid. I don’t see how any good will come from it honestly. 

I don't know.           The pick is bizarre because of where it was, not because of the player.       I don't think the plan is 2 plays a game - I believe the Eagles are once again trying to be the smartest guy in the room and get a jump on the league with the kind of stuff the Ravens do and the Saints do with Hill.       Until proven otherwise, I'm thinking they took Hurts as an offensive weapon along with all that speed to make this offense impossible to defend.       Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

But I guarantee they didn't draft this kid in the 2nd round to hold a clipboard and run the Wildcat twice a game, and I find it impossible to believe that Lurie would swallow drafting Wentz' replacement right after handing him all that money.

See my last post.

I’ll just let you know the Eagles are the ones stressing Hurts is a quarterback, and the ones who are comparing him to MVP players. They mentioned using him in some ways like Hill, but you don’t waste a 2nd round pick on a guy you think is no more than a gadget player. 

Yeah I get that too. Green Bay did the same thing.I had a QB on my mock,just not at 53,so it struck me as 'weird".I guess we will find out "the plan" sometime,but as fans,this was really hard to accept.There was a big drop off after Hurts as far as QB's go.maybe he can be trade bait,or possibly used as you said. Remember what the Pats did with Garapolo,they kept him around until someone made an offer.So,I will just have to wait and see how this pick is validated

8 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

First of all I am not your son. (Thank God for small miracles). Secondly scooter, are you going to sit there with a straight face and say getting the number one seed with a home field advantage and bye doesn't count towards us getting a title? Did you see the way he played last year with almost no help? What has he done to earn your dislike? The MVP like year? Over achieving last year? Good God we have a top 10 franchise QB which btw don't grow on trees and that's not enough for you. You are going to be one of those morons that scream for Hurts at the first interception. YOUR kind is what turns drafting hurts into a QB controversy.

Pull your panties down some they’re getting you all uptight. When did Carson win an MVP? When did Carson win a playoff game? How are you overachieving when you win the worst division in football by one game? Carson is a top ten quarterback and that’s great, but the EAGLES think the kid they just drafted is a potential MVP. All I’m telling you is if they believed in Carson as much as you do then they don’t make that pick. So if you have an issue why don’t you ask Howie Roseman if he wants Foles back?

• Like 1

All I’m telling you is if they believed in Carson as much as you do then they don’t make that pick.

So they just gave him 100 million dollars for the fun of it? I mean I didn't give him a dime so I hope they have more faith in him than I do. But yes I am going to defend my teams Franchise QB. As far as winning a garbage division, look at Daks supporting cast then Wentz's. We had no business winning and he still pulled it off. He was amazing 

• Like 1

Also at this point I am unaware of what the QB class looks like next year.Assuming we don't pick in the top 5(lol) possibly there are no options for a BU QB next draft? IDK,they might!!!! GB also selected a QB,I doubt Aaron is going anywhere either,but they did it,so this could be a possible explanation we don;t know about.And with cap issues next year on the horizon,I doubt they would want to spend money on a BU QB.Just tossing that out,think what you want

GB also selected a QB,I doubt Aaron is going anywhere either,but they did it,so this could be a possible explanation we don;t know about

Rodgers is also 36. Wentz is 27. GB picked the heir apparent to Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Rodgers is also 36. Wentz is 27. GB picked the heir apparent to Rodgers. 

True,so they have a better reason than we do

13 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Wrong. His level of performance, not his age, determines if he is in his prime or not as a player. 

Please Drew Brees prior to last season was still playing at a high level for years but was hardly in his prime. Nevertheless to end this argument if you want to use Brady then fine. Still Wentz ain’t no Brady and as such he’s not untouchable. 

8 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

So they just gave him 100 million dollars for the fun of it? I mean I didn't give him a dime so I hope they have more faith in him than I do. But yes I am going to defend my teams Franchise QB. As far as winning a garbage division, look at Daks supporting cast then Wentz's. We had no business winning and he still pulled it off. He was amazing 

Agreed.Tough to do what he did with PS receivers(well we had Ertz,but still).Thats why I was assuming we would take Mims at 53,to give him weapons.Noone knows when Alshon will play or how long Djax will last.Wentz got 4,000 yards with ZERO WR's over 500 yards.Thats pretty amazing

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Carson’s supporting cast is wearing rings Dak’s isn’t. Thing is Carson’s cast won it while he was on the sidelines. If the Eagles were so committed to that contract why did they draft a QBs in the second round? Better question! Why did they give themselves an out of that contract in 2021?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Still Wentz ain’t no Brady and as such he’s not untouchable. 

Well they did just give him 100 million so unless they wanna look like fools and Howie probably lose his job, I think he is pretty untouchable right now. 

39 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Ah you are a Wentz hater. Makes sense now. I dunno. We don't have a super bowl without him uh he won us a division last year with practically no help. He is our franchise for the next decade. I suggest you get over it. Let me guess. You want Foles back also?

God willing, he is.  He’s a top 10 QB in this league. But what if...I dunno, he isn’t?  What if he tears an ACL in week 3?  Gets another concussion and is out for 2-3 weeks?  My opinion, I don’t see Carson as a guy who plays to 37, 38 years old. All this useless arguing has been fun but I’m over it. Hurts was the pick, and he’s an Eagle. My only hope now is he turns into a viable backup/gadget threat and doesn’t see the field as the starter for years. But I think we all know deep down he will get playing time throughout the next few years. I hope those weeks, he’s a stud too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carson’s supporting cast is wearing rings Dak’s isn’t

Uh the WR's he had to throw to down the stretch have no rings. His number one WR was a college QB. And you do realize Carson has a ring right? And rightfully so. There is no ring without him. You think Foles could have had the reins all season and got us there? Last year he got benched for somthing called a minshew. He had 2 outstanding games. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Well they did just give him 100 million so unless they wanna look like fools and Howie probably lose his job, I think he is pretty untouchable right now. 

You know like it or not Hurts is an Eagle too. So if he supplants Carson as the guy I guess you’re out then. Clearly Carson means more to you than the uniforms. I’ve already explained to you they have given themselves an out on that contract. Don’t believe me then go look it up for yourself. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You know like it or not Hurts is an Eagle too. So if he supplants Carson as the guy I guess you’re out then. Clearly Carson means more to you than the uniforms. I’ve already explained to you they have given themselves an out on that contract. Don’t believe me then go look it up for yourself. 

Hurts is never going to be what you think he is. Dude got BENCHED in the middle of a National Championship by probably one of the top 1 or 2 coaches in college history. I am an Alabama fan. I know Hurts alot better than you do Im guessing. Hell ive seen him play live several times.

Please Drew Brees prior to last season was still playing at a high level for years but was hardly in his prime. Nevertheless to end this argument if you want to use Brady then fine. Still Wentz ain’t no Brady and as such he’s not untouchable. 

You can go round and round all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you framed a question poorly for the answer you wanted. 

As to the topic at hand:

Maybe the Eagles wanted a #2 QB better than Sudfeld and think Jalen is that guy for the next 4 years.

Maybe they want to trade Wentz for a king's ransom in 2 years and need Hurts to be the next franchise QB so they took him.

Maybe the draft broke completely differently than they though it would, and they drafted Hurts in a panic.

Maybe they really, really don't know what in the hell they're doing.

How do any of us truly "know." We don't.

What makes sense on the surface is that the $100+million given to Wentz, makes his being easily let go anytime soon, not very likely. Building Hurts into a starting caliber QB to be a terrific backup for now, and a huge trade piece later makes sense. Not much else makes sense at this point in time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Uh the WR's he had to throw to down the stretch have no rings. His number one WR was a college QB. And you do realize Carson has a ring right? And rightfully so. There is no ring without him. You think Foles could have had the reins all season and got us there? Last year he got benched for somthing called a minshew. He had 2 outstanding games. 

The teams he beat down the stretch barely had any wins. If Dak beat those teams you would call him a fraud. Funny thing about all these Dallas weapons. In 2017 none of you would have picked Cooper over Jeffery. Most of you think Elliott is overrated. Most of you were saying the Eagles had the best receiver group in football at the start of the 2019 season. The Eagles backup TE is better than the Cowboys starting TE. The Eagles offensive line is as good if not better. Funny thing is Cooper is supposed to be so great but when he was available most of y’all didn’t even want him. The Cowboys talent isn’t that good.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The teams he beat down the stretch barely had any wins. If Dak beat those teams you would call him a fraud. Funny thing about all these Dallas weapons. In 2017 none of you would have picked Cooper over Jeffery. Most of you think Elliott is overrated. Most of you were saying the Eagles had the best receiver group in football at the start of the 2019 season. The Eagles backup TE is better than the Cowboys starting TE. The Eagles offensive line is as good if not better. Funny thing is Cooper is supposed to be so great but when he was available most of y’all didn’t even want him. The Cowboys talent isn’t that good.  

Elliot isnt overrated. I think he got paid so he got lazy. But he always gets his playing us thats for sure. I think Dallas has a much much better WR corp that just got even better. I think the O line is a push. We may have an advantage now because their center retired. Although we did just give them a new starting Center by trading with them. Which was stupid. You dont trade in the division. Last time we did that it gave them Sean Lee. Our TE are better. But their WR corp is outstanding while ours is below average. Probably one of the worst in the league. Makes a huge difference. Getting Mims would have helped but nooooo.

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

You can go round and round all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you framed a question poorly for the answer you wanted. 

As to the topic at hand:

Maybe the Eagles wanted a #2 QB better than Sudfeld and think Jalen is that guy for the next 4 years.

Maybe they want to trade Wentz for a king's ransom in 2 years and need Hurts to be the next franchise QB so they took him.

Maybe the draft broke completely differently than they though it would, and they drafted Hurts in a panic.

Maybe they really, really don't know what in the hell they're doing.

How do any of us truly "know." We don't.

What makes sense on the surface is that the $100+million given to Wentz, makes his being easily let go anytime soon, not very likely. Building Hurts into a starting caliber QB to be a terrific backup for now, and a huge trade piece later makes sense. Not much else makes sense at this point in time.

Actually any of your proposals could be options, but here’s the thing. After what happened with the Foles thing and what it did to the locker room  why even risk the disruption that could be caused by brining in this kid. Joe Flacco or any other veteran QB could have come in and held down the fort if you needed an upgrade from Sudfeld at least until Carson comes back from an injury (if that happens again.) At that point no one inside or outside of the locker room thinks much of that and fully understand its Carson’s job. There’s a difference here if a young kid comes off the bench and leads the Eagles to some victories in Carson’s stead. That’s breeding grounds for a full blown QB controversy and the Eagles didn’t need to do it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Elliot isnt overrated. I think he got paid so he got lazy. But he always gets his playing us thats for sure. I think Dallas has a much much better WR corp that just got even better. I think the O line is a push. We may have an advantage now because their center retired. Although we did just give them a new starting Center by trading with them. Which was stupid. You dont trade in the division. Last time we did that it gave them Sean Lee. Our TE are better. But their WR corp is outstanding while ours is below average. Probably one of the worst in the league. Makes a huge difference. Getting Mims would have helped but nooooo.

The Eagles just added 4 new guys. Can you give them a chance before you bury them? Still the Cowboys talent isn’t as good as people try to make it out to be. Cooper and Elliott are overpaid. Dak is about to be too. All this so called talent and they barely win 9 games a year either.