Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles just added 4 new guys. Can you give them a chance before you bury them? Still the Cowboys talent isn’t as good as people try to make it out to be. Cooper and Elliott are overpaid. Dak is about to be too. All this so called talent and they barely win 9 games a year either. 

Well two of those guys are projects so we will see. I think good projects but we prob dont see them next year except ST. One is a aging vet on a one year deal. Reagor has the best shot to contribute. I hope he can.

13 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Hurts is never going to be what you think he is. Dude got BENCHED in the middle of a National Championship by probably one of the top 1 or 2 coaches in college history. I am an Alabama fan. I know Hurts alot better than you do Im guessing. Hell ive seen him play live several times.

You must have mistaken me. I’ve never once written what I think Hurts will be. I’ve told you what the Eagles said about him and that’s it. Maybe you know more than Doug and Howie. I can tell you right now and flat out I have no opinion on the kid at this moment, because I don’t watch college football. I’m only telling you what they’re saying. I won’t have an opinion on this kid till I see him in NFL games, because more often than not how a kid plays in college doesn’t translate to the NFL. So please do not mistake me. I’m not rooting for this kid over Wentz. I’m just trying to find some logic in all this and I’m basing it off their words. 

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Well two of those guys are projects so we will see. I think good projects but we prob dont see them next year except ST. One is a aging vet on a one year deal. Reagor has the best shot to contribute. I hope he can.

I’ve only looked at highlights of them, but they never really tell you the full story for sure. I can’t wait to see what they look like in real games and I’m hoping these new bodies create major competition at the position. Who knows? Maybe even JJAW can pull his head out and give us something. 

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Actually any of your proposals could be options, but here’s the thing. After what happened with the Foles thing and what it did to the locker room  why even risk the disruption that could be caused by brining in this kid. Joe Flacco or any other veteran QB could have come in and held down the fort if you needed an upgrade from Sudfeld at least until Carson comes back from an injury (if that happens again.) At that point no one inside or outside of the locker room thinks much of that and fully understand its Carson’s job. There’s a difference here if a young kid comes off the bench and leads the Eagles to some victories in Carson’s stead. That’s breeding grounds for a full blown QB controversy and the Eagles didn’t need to do it. 

I think it's always made clear and maintained what the order of the depth chart is. A backup coming in and leading a team to victories is exactly what's expected of a QB2. That's his job.

The HC has to make sure everybody understands their role. I have zero concerns about any brewing QB controversy with the Eagles.

Besides, Hurts is coming out of that air raid system so he's got a lot to learn. I don't think he'll be up to speed for a couple seasons.

4 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I think it's always made clear and maintained what the order of the depth chart is. A backup coming in and leading a team to victories is exactly what's expected of a QB2. That's his job.

The HC has to make sure everybody understands their role. I have zero concerns about any brewing QB controversy with the Eagles.

Besides, Hurts is coming out of that air raid system so he's got a lot to learn. I don't think he'll be up to speed for a couple seasons.

Well I hope you’re right. History has repeatedly shown us otherwise, but maybe you’re right this time.

6 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

There's no controversy unless Wentz gets hurt and Hurts comes in and plays on the same level.  That's possible but I suspect Wentz will thrive with the speed additions.

• Like 2

Anyone come up with a logical explanation for this pick yet?

1 minute ago, purephillyfan said:

Doug Peterson loves coaching QBs because that’s who he relates to. 

3 minutes ago, purephillyfan said:

They felt a big need for a good QB2 and don't think Sudfeld is the guy.

3 minutes ago, purephillyfan said:

Yeah we won a SB with a backup QB, we won a playoff game with a backup QB the next year and we lost a playoff game this year because our backup QB wasn't good enough

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

There's no controversy unless Wentz gets hurt and Hurts comes in and plays on the same level.  That's possible but I suspect Wentz will thrive with the speed additions.

Agreed, and I don't expect a perfect storm for the controversy to happen. I think it'll be much ado about nothing.

• Like 3

I thought I would just put this on here. You can look if you want to, but this clearly shows the Eagles can opt out of the Wentz contract if they choose by the end of 2021 otherwise they’re in for longer. A lot can happen in that amount of time. You know like grooming a 2nd round pick pick. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

Agreed, and I don't expect a perfect storm for the controversy to happen. I think it'll be much ado about nothing.

You have been a Eagles fan long enough to know better than that.

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

They felt a big need for a good QB2 and don't think Sudfeld is the guy.

Yep I wouldn't have made the pick and am not a fan of Howie's player evals but the logic behind having a strong backup is clear in today's nfl. A lot of major QBs missed time last year and they are going to 17gms in a year.  Having a lower cost good backup could save you 5mil+ per year that you'd spend on a top quality backup and you can make the argument that money is worth as much as a pick.

That said we don't even know if Hurts will prove to a top quality backup. Not a given

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

You have been a Eagles fan long enough to know better than that.

I don't see controversy in every little thing that happens. That's the media's job.

Wentz is the $100Mil franchise QB. Nobody is unseating him from that any time soon, and the two other QB's on the roster will fully understand that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I don't see controversy in every little thing that happens. That's the media's job.

Wentz is the $100Mil franchise QB. Nobody is unseating him from that any time soon, and the two other QB's on the roster will fully understand that. 

And if he actually has nfl wrs then wentz is very good.

• Like 2

Just now, pgcd3 said:

And if he actually has nfl wrs then wentz is very good.

Definitely. Look what he did with a cast of 1 totally lost draft pick, 1 PS level player in Ward,  and a bunch of guys off the street.

Now, give him legit weapons and see what happens. I really hope these young cheetahs can catch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Definitely. Look what he did with a cast of 1 totally lost draft pick, 1 PS level player in Ward,  and a bunch of guys off the street.

Now, give him legit weapons and see what happens. I really hope these young cheetahs can catch.

Keep thinking of this formation:

Reagor        Ertz OLINE Goedert         DJax

Wentz

Sanders

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Keep thinking of this formation:

Reagor        Ertz OLINE Goedert.          DJax

Wentz

Sanders

When I think of 12 personnel, I get this crazy feeling that the TE's and the HB might have a great deal of room within which to work..sound nuts, right? ;)

or this:

Hightower  Reagor    OLINE Ertz        DJax 

Wentz

Sanders

or this:

Hightower Reagor OLINE Goodwin  DJax

Wentz

Sanders

or god forbid this:

Reagor Hightower Watkins OLINE  Goodwin DJax

Wentz

6 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

For all the controversy of the Hurts pick this draft will largely come down to Reagor.  If he is in the neighborhood of or better than  Lamb & Jefferson then it's good. If he is a bust then not using the 2nd to move up or to take Mims etc will be a noose around the teams neck.  That's assuming a longshot doesn't come in from the later rounds.  I was a Watkins fan for a late pick so I love the pick but still he's a longshot. Same with Hightower

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

When I think of 12 personnel, I get this crazy feeling that the TE's and the HB might have a great deal of room within which to work..sound nuts, right? ;)

Amen brother. That’s what downfield speed can also do for you. 

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

For all the controversy of the Hurts pick this draft will largely come down to Reagor.  If he is in the neighborhood of or better than  Lamb & Jefferson then it's good. If he is a bust then not using the 2nd to move up or to take Mims etc will be a noose around the teams neck.  That's assuming a longshot doesn't come in from the later rounds.  I was a Watkins fan for a late pick so I love the pick but still he's a longshot. Same with Hightower

I believe it was the 1990 draft.  3 WR's were taken - Mike Bellamy in the 2nd, Fred Barnett in the 3rd or 4th, Calvin Williams in the 4th or 5th.  Bellamy was a bust.  But Barnett and Williams both had good careers. 

You never know how this will play out.  Sometimes the players taken in the later rounds, for whatever reason, work out better for the team.  Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I think people are really overrating Mims. He was the 13th WR taken. I had Reagor as my 4th WR, Mims as my 10th. 

16 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Eagles fans boo three and outs. And even if you want to try and rationalize picking a quarterback in 2nd round doesn’t mean other people will and you certainly don’t know that Hurts is just happy to just be a backup. Heck Sudfeld doesn’t even want that.