Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think people are really overrating Mims. He was the 13th WR taken. 

Mims, Duvernay, Aiyuk earlier. Whatever. If they didn't get Reagor right then it's a big miss

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Amen brother. That’s what downfield speed can also do for you. 

I'm hoping it all works out just right. I'll add that if any of the young speedsters proves to be a good slot WR, then 11 personnel is gonna look great too.

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

Mims, Duvernay, Aiyuk earlier. Whatever. If they didn't get Reagor right then it's a big miss

Agreed. I really like Reagor. Him and Ruggs were my top 2 wants for the Eagles for what they needed...speed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

I believe it was the 1990 draft.  3 WR's were taken - Mike Bellamy in the 2nd, Fred Barnett in the 3rd or 4th, Calvin Williams in the 4th or 5th.  Bellamy was a bust.  But Barnett and Williams both had good careers. 

You never know how this will play out.  Sometimes the players taken in the later rounds, for whatever reason, work out better for the team.  Time will tell.

Agreed. That's why draft grades are ludicrous. It's just media members who misjudged a players value then saying who did well based on that errant value. If a guy went at 100 then his value to the nfl was 100. It's not a good value because kiper had him at 50.

Watkins could be a HOF player then Reagor becomes meaningless really but odds are that Reagor will be the one who produces the most. Certainly the one you count on

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I'm hoping it all works out just right. I'll add that if any of the young speedsters proves to be a good slot WR, then 11 personnel is gonna look great too.

I think Watkins has the best shot there. Hightower is much better on the outside with his skill set. I could see Reagor moving inside in some packages. If we could have no salary cap ramifications, and these guys all hit their potential I’d want to see the following WR room:

Djax

Reagor

Hightower

Watkins

JJaw

Ward

I’m not a Goodwin fan and I think Alshon should be done here. 

DJax is your vet in the room (and honestly has the most similarities to these newbies to help teach them).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Agree with you there.

Mims was actually still on the board at #53, so they truly passed on him for Hurts. their standing pat in the 3rd made them miss on Duvernay...no secret he was my mid round favorite. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Agree with you there.

Mims was actually still on the board at #53, so they truly passed on him for Hurts. their standing pat in the 3rd made them miss on Duvernay...no secret he was my mid round favorite. 

There were so many options that it's unlikely they chose the best one and that's ok.  But if they blew it altogether then it's pretty much a disaster.  Like you I'm looking at the best case scenarios for these guys even though I don't really trust Howie to get it right.  If he didn't we'll talk about that plenty later. For now it's time to dream

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Yeah you have fun with that. Instead of the guy that chokes in big games and got chased out 

Oh, you mean McNabb ??  

He's been gone for 11 years now.       :lol:

7 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Oh, you mean McNabb ??  

He's been gone for 11 years now.       :lol:

Yeah not a big fan of his so don't know what he really has to do with anything?

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

You’re so butthurt. It’s giving me hours of entertainment. 

And you're both entertaining me !     :P

I got lots of time on my hands lately . . .

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Hurts is coming out of that air raid system so he's got a lot to learn. I don't think he'll be up to speed for a couple seasons.

Similar to Randall Cunningham perhaps?

Randall was drafted in '85 but did almost nothing until '87 / '88.

7 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Yeah you have fun with that. Meanwhile I will be cheering on the guy that was having an MVP year and got us to a SB and who won a division title throwing to Garbage cans. Instead of the guy that chokes in big games and got chased out of Bama.

Blinded results rank these QBs and provide some insight.

20200427_020041.jpg

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Tom Brady...more than once.

What years? If you mean 36 year old Brady having Jimmy G or even older age when they took Brissett. They've taken late round guys but this isn't remotely the same. From 2002 until Brady was 36/37 in 2014 they took 2 3rd round QBs the first when Brady was 31 with the highest pick #74 in 2011 when he was 34, 2 7th round QBs, a 6th round and a 4th.

So no that isn't the same as here. Wentz is 27 going on 28, not 36 and a 14 year vet.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

I believe it was the 1990 draft.  3 WR's were taken - Mike Bellamy in the 2nd, Fred Barnett in the 3rd or 4th,

Calvin Williams in the 4th or 5th.  Bellamy was a bust.  But Barnett and Williams both had good careers.

That was the year they drafted Ben Smith CB 1st round.

Helluva player until his knee exploded at Cleveland in Nov. 1991.

At the time the doctors treating him said it was the worst knee injury they'd ever seen.

He was never the same and out of football after 1996.

•  Years in NFL  :  6
    • Career Earnings  $3.6 million
    • Current Residence :Ambler, Pa.

Ben Smith was destined for great things when he was chosen by the Philadelphia Eagles. A quick-footed cornerback, he had a superb rookie season with 91 tackles and three interceptions. With his newfound money, he was able to help his family in Georgia.

But in a reminder of how capricious football can be, he injured his knee, which turned out to be a life-altering event. He spent a season recuperating, but claimed that the surgery was botched. Some of his coaches doubted his dedication because he struggled to return to the field, according to Mark Bowden, who wrote a book about the 1992 Eagles, "Bringing the Heat.”

Smith, who declined to be interviewed, also became hooked on painkillers to cope with the pain as he tried to return to the field, according to an article in Men’s Journal. He later sustained other injuries when he tried to compensate for the weak knee. After playing a season in Denver and two more in Arizona, where he was paid the minimum salary, Smith was out of football by 1996.

But the addiction followed him home to Georgia. Smith did not quickly file retirement papers and spent his savings. He filed for bankruptcy in 2000, according to court papers. He considered suicide and sought help in detox clinics, according to Men’s Journal.

Smith was one of the 5,000 or so players who sued the N.F.L., accusing the league of hiding the dangers of concussions, and he said he struggled with the effects of head trauma he absorbed as a player. A judge recently approved a settlement in the case, but it will probably be appealed. No payments will be made until the appeals are exhausted.

22. Ben Smith
Defensive Back

Photo

DRAFT-slide-AFM9-master1050-v2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Screen_Shot_2020_04_26_at_11.48.38_AM.png

So the majority doesn't like it... now. 

That will change soon enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infam said:

So the majority doesn't like it... now. 

That will change soon enough.

Suuuuuuuuuure

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I think Watkins has the best shot there. Hightower is much better on the outside with his skill set. I could see Reagor moving inside in some packages. If we could have no salary cap ramifications, and these guys all hit their potential I’d want to see the following WR room:

Djax

Reagor

Hightower

Watkins

JJaw

Ward

I’m not a Goodwin fan and I think Alshon should be done here. 

DJax is your vet in the room (and honestly has the most similarities to these newbies to help teach them).

I like it. Draft another WR next year and we might be set up very well:

X- JJaw, Hightower  Y- Reagor, 2021  Slot- Watkins, Ward

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I like it. Draft another WR next year and we might be set up very well:

X- JJaw, Hightower  Y- Reagor, 2021  Slot- Watkins, Ward

I would agree with that. I think they will need to draft another WR although not sure they will given the resources they have invested over the last couple of years.

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Suuuuuuuuuure

Eagles @ 34:15  

This is a very good move for the Eagles, both in the short and the long term. The Eagles fans that are unhappy with it don't watch us enough, and don't listen to us enough.

6 hours ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

I'm not even sure if he was drafted to replace Brady. They drafted him far too early in his career. Brady might've been mid 30's when they did that. 

Brady was 37 when Gorappolo  was drafted. That’s a reasonable age to start thinking of the future.  

One thing for certain, everyone moaning about this pick and continuously slating it should forfeit the right to request hurts to replace wentz at any point. As soon as wentz has a bad first half or a couple of interceptions in a row, these boards will be full of clambouring for hurts. Watch this space.

We had 2 picks in the top 100 of the draft, that being the case there is no twist of logic that makes selecting a back up to the guy you literally just signed to a $126million extension with one of them a sensible move, this pick had to be one of the starting grade DB's, Epenesa or one of the remaining wideouts.

If Reagor has a 500yd rookie season and Hurts spends all year on the bench, this draft could see Howie on a very hot seat, if Jefferson, Lamb, Aiyuk or Higgins turns in a 1000yd season he could be gone. 

1 minute ago, Muz86 said:

One thing for certain, everyone moaning about this pick and continuously slating it should forfeit the right to request hurts to replace wentz at any point. As soon as wentz has a bad first half or a couple of interceptions in a row, these boards will be full of clambouring for hurts. Watch this space.

But that right there is part of the issue with this pick... People will call for Hurts to replace Wentz if he has any struggles next year because that is the mentality of a fan. God help us if he has a 2-3 game stretch like he did in 2019! Some called for McCown to start last year when Wentz struggled, now we are going to have a second round pick (a premium pick) sat on the sidelines ready to go. Howie has created another QB controversey.

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But that right there is part of the issue with this pick... People will call for Hurts to replace Wentz if he has any struggles next year because that is the mentality of a fan. God help us if he has a 2-3 game stretch like he did in 2019! Some called for McCown to start last year when Wentz struggled, now we are going to have a second round pick (a premium pick) sat on the sidelines ready to go. Howie has created another QB controversey.

I agree, and again I also dislike the pick. But I’m not going to pretend that it’s set this team back 10 years like others seem to be suggesting. Teams miss on second round picks all the time.

But those that keep harbouring on about it shouldn’t then turn around and ask for hurts to start as soon as wentz is having a bit of bad form.