Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

38 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

One thing for certain, everyone moaning about this pick and continuously slating it should forfeit the right to request hurts to replace wentz at any point. As soon as wentz has a bad first half or a couple of interceptions in a row, these boards will be full of clambouring for hurts. Watch this space.

That sounds very unlikely.  This place is like a Tom Jones concert, with all the fans throwing their panties on stage for Wentz.  He is above criticism.

Most of the complaints for picking Hurts have been "this is bad for Carson", rather than "this is bad for the Eagles".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

I agree, and again I also dislike the pick. But I’m not going to pretend that it’s set this team back 10 years like others seem to be suggesting. Teams miss on second round picks all the time.

I'm not suggesting it does set us back 10 years but it's a bad pick that raises serious question marks over this FO.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not suggesting it does set us back 10 years but it's a bad pick that raises serious question marks over this FO.

Exactly, it brings up 2 questions.

1. Is there something wrong with Wentz

And if not

2. Why did you just pay Wentz a boatload of money if your going to replace him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

That sounds very unlikely.  This place is like a Tom Jones concert, with all the fans throwing their panties on stage for Wentz.  He is above criticism.

Most of the complaints for picking Hurts have been "this is bad for Carson", rather than "this is bad for the Eagles".

I will not tolerate any blasphemy here! 😇wentz.png.de416c5ed36db65a3afaff6a20cdd8f1.png

1 minute ago, Perforator said:

Exactly, it brings up 2 questions.

1. Is there something wrong with Wentz

And if not

2. Why did you just pay Wentz a boatload of money if your going to replace him

Exactly. They've created another QB controversy when what they should be doing is giving their young QB the weapons, on either side of the ball, to go and contend.

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yeah I get that too. Green Bay did the same thing.I had a QB on my mock,just not at 53,so it struck me as 'weird".I guess we will find out "the plan" sometime,but as fans,this was really hard to accept.There was a big drop off after Hurts as far as QB's go.maybe he can be trade bait,or possibly used as you said. Remember what the Pats did with Garapolo,they kept him around until someone made an offer.So,I will just have to wait and see how this pick is validated

Green Bay is completely different.      They have a QB that is 36, and see Love as the next guy.       Rodgers might say he wants to play until he's 40, but he did regress last year, and clearly the Packers see the end of the line and are preparing for it.

With the Eagles, Wentz is just entering the prime of his career.          Again, I just find it hard to imaging that after giving up all they did to trade up for Wentz, and now signing him to a monster contract, that Lurie would be okay with turning around and drafting his replacement.         It's too bizarre.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly. They've created another QB controversy when what they should be doing is giving their young QB the weapons, on either side of the ball, to go and contend.

The only way this becomes a controversy is if Wentz gets hurt and Hurts plays amazingly well. Which still is a good problem to have in that kind of situation.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

The only way this becomes a controversy is if Wentz gets hurt and Hurts plays amazingly good. Which still is a good problem to have in that kind of situation.

No this becomes a controversy because the fans and the media will make it one. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles fans boo three and outs. And even if you want to try and rationalize picking a quarterback in 2nd round doesn’t mean other people will and you certainly don’t know that Hurts is just happy to just be a backup. Heck Sudfeld doesn’t even want that. 

C'mon man!       Teams don't draft players thinking of  the fans' reaction, and anyone who does should be summarily fired.        And no young QB is 'happy' to be a backup, especially one drafted highly - I wouldn't want a QB happy to be a backup on my roster.         Fans and media rationalizing picks should be the last thing on the minds of people making those decisions, or they shouldn't be in that position.       You just seem to look deeply for a conspiracy or controversy in every move, and the vast majority of the time it's just smoke.

The Eagles clearly targeted Hurts, and until I see any evidence (not your conspiracy theories and things you saw Josina Anderson (is that her name?) write) I'm going with the idea that Hurts was drafyed to be part of this offense now, and not as Wentz' replacement.

3 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

C'mon man!       Teams don't draft players thinking of  the fans' reaction, and anyone who does should be summarily fired.        And no young QB is 'happy' to be a backup, especially one drafted highly - I wouldn't want a QB happy to be a backup on my roster.         Fans and media rationalizing picks should be the last thing on the minds of people making those decisions, or they shouldn't be in that position.       You just seem to look deeply for a conspiracy or controversy in every move, and the vast majority of the time it's just smoke.

The Eagles clearly targeted Hurts, and until I see any evidence (not your conspiracy theories and things you saw Josina Anderson (is that her name?) write) I'm going with the idea that Hurts was drafyed to be part of this offense now, and not as Wentz' replacement.

Do you believe in the Easter Bunny because it hasn't been proven false yet?

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No this becomes a controversy because the fans and the media will make it one. 

But that’s the point, it’ll be the same fans moaning about the pick that likely create the controversy. If no one clambours for hurts as soon as wentz hits some bad form then there’s no controversy. In other words we control that aspect of things.

58 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

One thing for certain, everyone moaning about this pick and continuously slating it should forfeit the right to request hurts to replace wentz at any point

I'm cool with that. Wentz is a MUCH better QB.

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll say this once more, because this is getting tiresome.       That is exactly what they feel they have done with Hurts.         Until I see evidence that Hurts is nothing more than a clipboard holder waiting for Wentz to go down or be traded, that's the only thing that has any logic to it.        If it turns out that Hurts stood around all year, I'll look at it as a colossal wasted of a pick.

1 minute ago, Perforator said:

Do you believe in the Easter Bunny because it hasn't been proven false yet?

I can see why TATE has its reputation.        You guys are too much.       Okay, I'm out on this, I won't repeat myself again.       Please carry on with the QB controversy circle jerk, it's what you're going to do anyway.

1 minute ago, mjkvol said:

I'll say this once more, because this is getting tiresome.       That is exactly what they feel they have done with Hurts.         Until I see evidence that Hurts is nothing more than a clipboard holder waiting for Wentz to go down or be traded, that's the only thing that has any logic to it.        If it turns out that Hurts stood around all year, I'll look at it as a colossal wasted of a pick.

I'm confused by your point here. I was saying that the pick was a waste. You seem to be saying the same but you seem to be arguing the point with me? And I agree with your point.

25 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

That sounds very unlikely.  This place is like a Tom Jones concert, with all the fans throwing their panties on stage for Wentz.  He is above criticism

Yeah how dare we support our Franchise QB who is one of the better ones in the league. Did you see last year? Think about if he had given any decent weapons.

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Yeah how dare we support our Franchise QB who is one of the better ones in the league. Did you see last year? Think about if he had given any decent weapons.

You think we came out of the draft without giving him any weapons? Really?

27 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

What's bad for the franchise QB is usually bad for the team also. 

1 minute ago, Infam said:

You think we came out of the draft without giving him any weapons? Really?

I think he got one immediate one that could have been 2. 

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Mims was right there but the genius Howie picks something we don't need, a QB. These TATErs will defend and rationalize the pick till the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I think they did more than that bud. They gave him 4 new WRs. One of which has produced in the NFL albeit he has injury issues. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Mims was right there but the genius Howie picks something we don't need, a QB. These TATErs will defend and rationalize the pick till the end.

Exactly. After the pick I went someone will try to defend this stupidity. The media is hammering them at least.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think they did more than that bud. They gave him 4 new WRs. One of which has produced in the NFL albeit he has injury issues. 

I like the two we got in the later rounds but I don't think they will contribute this year. And Goodwin MIGHT help if he can stay on the field.

48 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Supporting your QB need not be the same as worshiping him.   Who is complaining for the other players on the team that their replacements have been drafted?  

Agholor Sux!  Jefferiez Sux!  Mills Sux!  Fire Doug!  Fire Howie!  Fire Schwartz!   But it is treated as heresy to give anything less than an A+ grade to Wentz, regardless of his performance. 

As the QB and most important player on the team, he deserves much credit for last year but also bears some of the blame.  He played mostly well in the beginning of the season, faltered somewhat mid-season and then played very well at the end.  

Getting knocked out early in the playoff game was a freak occurrence, but there is a pattern of injuries, deserved or not.  I don't like that they used a 2nd round pick on a QB either, but maybe the team thinks Hurts can hold down the fort on Wentz's next trip to the blue tent.  They probably thought this kid is the only QB they wanted and would be gone by their next pick.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

I like the two we got in the later rounds but I don't think they will contribute this year. And Goodwin MIGHT help if he can stay on the field.

To me Goodwin gives us an option. He's fast and he has produced. The injuries are a definite concern but we don't need him to be a starter so that might, might help.