Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Wake up. This has nothing to do with Foles and everything to do with the Eagles. I don’t see a lot of people wishing for Carson’s demise either. You tell me what other quarterback in his prime had their team draft another quarterback early and it didn’t cause a controversy or that players eventual replacement?

what exactly do i need to wake up about? 

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

Mims was right there but the genius Howie picks something we don't need, a QB. These TATErs will defend and rationalize the pick till the end.

Not saying I disagree that 53 could have gone in a different direction, but Mims was WR13. 

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Wake up. This has nothing to do with Foles and everything to do with the Eagles. I don’t see a lot of people wishing for Carson’s demise either. You tell me what other quarterback in his prime had their team draft another quarterback early and it didn’t cause a controversy or that players eventual replacement?

Define early and in their prime. 

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Brady was 37 when Gorappolo  was drafted. That’s a reasonable age to start thinking of the future.  

Yea but Brady showed no signs of retiring. They did not draft Jimmy G to be his replacement and then trade him away. That's what they do. They drafted Brissett as well. 

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

First off get out of your feelings cause I’m not the one who drafted the kid. Secondly I agree the Eagles shouldn’t have made this pick, but they did. Listening to THEM and THIER WORDS it’s obvious they’re not flipping this kid for some pick. Sorry if I’m making you cry in your bowl of Wentz flakes, but there’s no way they’re giving up a guy they think is an MVP candidate. Here’s the truth. If Wentz doesn’t go down again then he likely has nothing to worry about, but if he does and this kid plays like Russell Wilson then Carson is gone. 

Carson Wentz high horse? I don't even like Carson Wentz like that. Nothing against him I'm just not a fan. But he's Cleary the Eagles franchise quarterback. Its stupid but I don't expect for any of you guys to see how stupidity is. Some of you guys eat up everything the Eagles sell you. 

5 minutes ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Yea but Brady showed no signs of retiring. They did not draft Jimmy G to be his replacement and then trade him away. That's what they do. They drafted Brissett as well. 

He was 37, when your QB is closer to 40 than 30 it would be a stupid GM who didn't prepare for a retirement in the next couple of years, at some point regardless of a QB's intentions there's a threshold of salary v production where the teams QB position is no longer the QB's decision, Eli Manning being an example the last 2 years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He was 37, when your QB is closer to 40 than 30 it would be a stupid GM who didn't prepare for a retirement in the next couple of years, at some point regardless of a QB's intentions there's a threshold of salary v production where the teams QB position is no longer the QB's decision, Eli Manning being an example the last 2 years.

They traded Garropolo because Brady went on longer (and at a high level) than anyone could have expected.

7 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Eli ain't Brady though. Brady is the GOAT and he's shown no signs of  breaking down when he was 37. He's never had problems with injuries. 

19 minutes ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

It’s not about showing signs though. When both were drafted, Brady was still up in age when a rapid decline can show at any time. 

In 2013, Peyton Manning was the league MVP throwing 55 TD passes. Two seasons later, he was clearly a shell of himself. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The situation with Wentz is truly unique though. He is extremely talented and has shown he can play at the highest of levels. He also has been hurt 3 out of 4 years and uses his athletism a lot. We, due to the situation, need a high quality backup QB more than most other teams do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Green Bay is completely different.      They have a QB that is 36, and see Love as the next guy.       Rodgers might say he wants to play until he's 40, but he did regress last year, and clearly the Packers see the end of the line and are preparing for it.

With the Eagles, Wentz is just entering the prime of his career.          Again, I just find it hard to imaging that after giving up all they did to trade up for Wentz, and now signing him to a monster contract, that Lurie would be okay with turning around and drafting his replacement.         It's too bizarre.

Yeah I think all the fans were pretty shocked.I know I went insane(but have been there many years) 

14 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

The situation with Wentz is truly unique though. He is extremely talented and has shown he can play at the highest of levels. He also has been hurt 3 out of 4 years and uses his athletism a lot. We, due to the situation, need a high quality backup QB more than most other teams do.

Even in his rookie year finishing all 16 games, he was at or near the top of the list of QB hits throughout the season. He took some shots including the rib injury in the preseason.

Atlanta also laid a good lick on him this year in week two, he took a heavy shot to the ribs and was in pain.

I’m a Wentz fan through and through but even I can see why Howie made that pick at 53. There are not going to come out and say it but Wentz has injury issues, he also did in college. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s not about showing signs though. When both were drafted, Brady was still up in age when a rapid decline can show at any time. 

In 2013, Peyton Manning was the league MVP throwing 55 TD passes. Two seasons later, he was clearly a shell of himself. 

Of course things happen. I'm saying Brady at 37 felt he at least had a few year left. It was stupid. YOu've wasted that rookies whole rookie deal. 

And in a 17 game season - what if he only misses one game? If that is an important one that can already make or break the season.

Besides it's weird to preach "next man up" and "everyone is important" and then to basically ignore the backup at the most important position.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Even in his rookie year finishing all 16 games, he was at or near the top of the list of QB hits throughout the season. He took some shots including the rib injury in the preseason.

Atlanta also laid a good lick on him this year in week two, he took a heavy shot to the ribs and was in pain.

I’m a Wentz fan through and through but even I can see why Howie made that pick at 53. There are not going to come out and say it but Wentz has injury issues, he also did in college. 

Yeah I think when you add that maybe Hurts actually gets the ball a couple times a game and can maybe be productive with those touches to the idea we need a good backup more than a lot of other teams might, it was not a bad pick. 

• Like 1

We should have a betting pool on when this topic will hit 100 pages

13 minutes ago, Infam said:

And in a 17 game season - what if he only misses one game? If that is an important one that can already make or break the season.

Besides it's weird to preach "next man up" and "everyone is important" and then to basically ignore the backup at the most important position.

It's not about ignoring the back up, it's about using one of 2 picks you have in the top 100 picks of draft to take a back up when there is plenty left in free agency and people like Eason and Fromm available in the 4th and 5th

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Infam said:

Besides it's weird to preach "next man up" and "everyone is important" to basically ignore the backup at the most important position.

I agree completely the backup is important- but the point is there are plenty of ways to deal with that.

Look at the successful back ups the Eagles have had in recent history. Garcia, Feeley, Vick and of course Foles. None of them needed big contracts or high draft picks.

Heck - McCown might have won that playoff game for us if he didn’t get hurt.

By using a second the Eagles are giving way a good opportunity to land a cheap young pro bowl talent who can help the team straight away for in effect an insurance policy.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm confused by your point here. I was saying that the pick was a waste. You seem to be saying the same but you seem to be arguing the point with me? And I agree with your point.

No, I'm saying the pick was a waste if the idea was simply for Hurts to be a backup QB.        Not saying I agree with the pick (but then, I agree with little that Roseman does, it seems), but if he was taken with the idea of being a piece in the offense, then it is more bizarre than wasted.

To me, this is classic "smartest guy in the room" stuff, which the Eagles have been peerless at going back to Reid.        They have this idea of a "new age" offense,  and we'll just have to wait and see how it develops.          At least, that's how I see it.

Peter King:

Philadelphia: Ripping the Jalen Hurts pick? Really?

I’m befuddled about something. I hear all this criticism of the Eagles for taking Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts with the 53rd pick in the draft. If there’s one team in football, over the past three years, that’s demonstrated the need for a very good backup quarterback, it’s Philadelphia. The Eagles missed Carson Wentz for six games in 2017 and seven games in 2018; Nick Foles saved the day. Now Foles is gone. Nate Sudfeld was due to be the backup, till Hurts got picked Friday night.

On a good team (which Philadelphia is) with a quarterback who has missed significant time (which Wentz is), the backup quarterback is one of the 10 most important players on the team. Let’s compare the need for a strong backup quarterback to the other Eagles needs when they picked at 53: They could have picked the ninth cornerback or the fifth safety or the sixth linebacker or the fifth running back with the 53rd pick. Or they could have picked a quarterback who you’d think would give Philadelphia a chance to win big games in December and January if he had to play. (A chance, I say; not a certainty.) Hurts, too, can be active and play some role—not altogether like a Taysom Hill, but some sort of role—as a changeup in Doug Pederson’s scheme. Look at the Packers when Rodgers got hurt in 2017, the Niners when Jimmy Garoppolo went down in 2018, the Lions when Matthew Stafford was gone in 2019. All sank like stones.

I don’t know if Hurts would win a playoff game, but I’d sure like his chance to do so more than Sudfeld. And for the 53rd pick, it’s a smart investment.

• Like 3

Just now, Outlaw said:

If there’s one team in football, over the past three years, that’s demonstrated the need for a very good backup quarterback, it’s Philadelphia. The Eagles missed Carson Wentz for six games in 2017 and seven games in 2018; Nick Foles saved the day. Now Foles is gone. Nate Sudfeld was due to be the backup, till Hurts got picked Friday night

One Super Bowl, one play off win. Let's not pretend like having a high value QB gives us all that much extra! 2017 was the outlier. Teams don't tend to win and go deep in the play offs with back up QBs. We have invested a lot of resources and assets in back up QBs and so far we have 2017 as an outlier but the rest has really been in line with the rest of the league I'd suggest.

1 hour ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Of course things happen. I'm saying Brady at 37 felt he at least had a few year left. It was stupid. YOu've wasted that rookies whole rookie deal. 

I agree we know that now with the benefit of hindsight, but the odds are in one’s favor that at 37, the end is very close for most players. 

Well I guess to be fair fans did boo the McNabb pick.

We could have had the stoner.

6 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Well I guess to be fair fans did boo the McNabb pick.

We could have had the stoner.

Can you imagine what would have happened if there was a crowd around for the Hurts pick? Poor guy.

still not loving the hurts pick...but i think the rest of their picks look good. anyway, hurts went with pick 53...the next qb taken after him wasn't until pick 122 (middle of round 4). was hurts that much better than the next qb or 2 to warrant picking him at 53 over a position of need? only time will tell