Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

A terrible pick by a front office who has shown repeatedly that they are terrible at drafting. How the front office gets any defense from anyone is astounding! 

I still hate pick #53...I have just watched CeeDee lamb's highlight reel (on his thread) and he has #1 WR written all over him! I wasn't even massively impressed with Hurts's QB play, as an awful lot of Hurts's TD throws were because of CeeDee Lamb's football play after the catch...

CeeDee Lamb made Hurts look like a much better than QB than he was in reality...

If the offer (that is rumoured) of #21 & #53 for Atlanta's #16 (and picking Lamb) is true, then that is a shocking fail by the front office...

59 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

still not loving the hurts pick...but i think the rest of their picks look good. anyway, hurts went with pick 53...the next qb taken after him wasn't until pick 122 (middle of round 4). was hurts that much better than the next qb or 2 to warrant picking him at 53 over a position of need? only time will tell

New England made picks at #60, #87,  #91, and #101. I feel like they would have picked Hurts if he was still there. A lot of reports said the Patriots were interested.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I still hate pick #53...I have just watched CeeDee lamb's highlight reel (on his thread) and he has #1 WR written all over him! I wasn't even massively impressed with Hurts's QB play, as an awful lot of Hurts's TD throws were because of CeeDee Lamb's football play after the catch...

CeeDee Lamb made Hurts look like a much better than QB than he was in reality...

If the offer (that is rumoured) of #21 & #53 for Atlanta's #16 (and picking Lamb) is true, then that is a shocking fail by the front office...

But but Howie wants to build a "QB factory"!

21 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

Don’t you think if CeeDee was this years true #1 WR then he would have been the first WR taken off the board and not the 3rd? And if not the first WR taken off the board then drafted way before 17?

Even teams who don’t need a WR draft specially talented ones because they happen to be there. 13-16 other teams didn’t seem to think Lamb was that special to keep them from drafting other needs. One example was the Jets who desperately needed WR help. 

25 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Don’t you think if CeeDee was this years true #1 WR then he would have been the first WR taken off the board and not the 3rd? And if not the first WR taken off the board then drafted way before 17?

Simplisticly yes you would. But in reality? It all depends what a team wants. Raiders prioritized speed so they took Ruggs. To them he gave them the most I guess. But most agreed he was the third best WR in this year's draft. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Simplisticly yes you would. But in reality? It all depends what a team wants. Raiders prioritized speed so they took Ruggs. To them he gave them the most I guess. But most agreed he was the third best WR in this year's draft. 

Agreed, CeeDee is a damn good WR but there is something to also been said for Jeudy being picked ahead of him, when Jeudy has possible knee concerns. 

6 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Agreed, CeeDee is a damn good WR but there is something to also been said for Jeudy being picked ahead of him, when Jeudy has possible knee concerns. 

That's a very fair point but how legit were those concerns?

I have a few rationalizations for the pick.

1. Hedging Carson. The Eagles wouldn't have made this pick if Wentz were 2009 Philip Rivers or Eli Manning. The Eagles have made the playoffs for 3 straight years and Wentz was off the field in the 2nd half of every playoff game. That matters and the Eagles absolutely must have a high-end backup QB every season Wentz is the starter.

2. High-end backup QBs cost money. You're talking $5M plus per year, closer to $10M in some cases. Hurts' contract will be around $1.5 million per year, I'd guess. So you're combining stability with cap savings that you would then be able to re-appropriate to free agency or extensions.

3. Gadget plays on offense. Speed and "optionality" have been the themes of this offseason and Hurts provides both. Theoretically, the sky is the limit for what Doug Pederson, Press Taylor and Co. can create on offense.

All that said, it's still a trash pick if for no other reason that Jalen Hurts will likely be far more likable in the locker room than Wentz is. If Hurts ends up being any good at all, the Josina stuff will happen all over again. And I think they wind up cutting Sudfeld and going with either Josh McCown or Joe Flacco as QB2 for 2020. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's a very fair point but how legit were those concerns?

Honestly, they don’t seem to be legit at all, but last minute reports like that make teams hurry up and grab the phones. 

42 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Dont you think if Young was this years true #1 player he would have been drafted first by the Bengals?

3 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Dont you think if Young was this years true #1 player he would have been drafted first by the Bengals?

Your arguing apples and oranges. My point had to do with CeeDee being rated at his position, not overall player rating. 

Young was the best at his position therefore he was the first pass rusher taken. 

Your comment doesn’t make sense based off what I said. 

46 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

I didn't mean it to read that he was the #1 WR in the draft, but a #1 team WR...I honestly don't think that Reagor is a true #1 WR, but has potential to become one, and is a gamble (being likened to Agholor, Pinkston and being mid 50's on some draft boards doesn't instil major confidence in me...but I really hope I am proved wrong)...whereas CeeDee Lamb is a bona fide day 1 starting #1 WR...

1 minute ago, EagleTen said:

I didn't mean it to read that he was the #1 WR in the draft, but a #1 team WR...I honestly don't think that Reagor is a true #1 WR, but has potential to become one, and is a gamble (being likened to Agholor, Pinkston and being mid 50's on some draft boards doesn't instil major confidence in me...but I really hope I am proved wrong)...whereas CeeDee Lamb is a bona fide day 1 starting #1 WR...

I see what you mean. 

27 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Jalen Hurts will likely be far more likable in the locker room than Wentz is.

Why?

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you even want to entertain this rubbish?

Good point. I forgot all about the rumor mill BS about Carson being "not liked" 

• Like 1

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Good point. I forgot all about the rumor mill BS about Carson being "not liked" 

Yeah I mean just don't do it to yourself. 

25 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

They're all crapshoots until they put on pads.  I think both are going to be very good WRs in this league, with two different skillsets.  The Eagles had a certain skillset they were looking for.  I'm betting if Ruggs was the one sitting there still at 16 (he was the 3rd WR in most discussions pre-draft), we may have had a vastly different draft.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Why?

I probably should have prefaced with "I think..." And it was less of an indictment on Wentz and more of a compliment to Hurts, who is lauded for his leadership. Coming off post-Super Bowl talk about Foles vs. Wentz, I don't think Wentz needs to be in an environment where his leadership is undermined. This move, in my opinion, does that to some degree.

I just thought of somthing else. With no offseason activities who really thinks Hurts can even be the number 2 this year? We still need to sign a FA Backup or go with Suds. So even more of a waste.

I’m not buying all this gadget play Taysom Hill ‘on steroids’ wildcat nonsense the eagles are trying to sell us. You don’t take a qb in the second round to run the wildcat. Taysom Hill was an UDFA...

The reality is the eagles don’t trust wentz can stay healthy and may try to trade him. His value is still relatively high, one more injury and that value falls a lot. The eagles led Bradford to believe he’d be their guy, next thing you know the guy wakes up in Minnesota 

• Like 1

Everyone is still trying to find this ONE huge reason for why the Eagles made this pick and I just don't think it's that simple. You can come up with several reasons for why the Eagles did this.

-They want a really good back up QB

-They want a really good back up QB who is cheap so they can spend more money elsewhere in free agency

-They want to develop Hurts and trade him for a first down the road

-They want to put a Taysom Hill package into the offense

-They don't believe in Carson Wentz to stay healthy

-They want options in four years when Wentz's contract is up and they love Hurts and think he can be developed into a franchise QB

-There is more to this and something we don't know about

So my point is, while everyone keeps wanting to come up with one or two reasons for why they made this head scratching pick, perhaps there are SEVERAL reasons. Doesn't justify it, doesn;t make it a good pick, I just think people are trying to make this more simple than it actually is. They probably see Hurts checking off a lot of these boxes or they aren't investing a 2nd round pick in him. By that I mean, they aren't investing a 2nd round pick in a backup QB, OR a Taysom Hill gadget player. If they think he checks off both of those boxes and they can potentially flip him for a first down the road though, there is more value with him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Br3 said:

I’m not buying all this gadget play Taysom Hill ‘on steroids’ wildcat nonsense the eagles are trying to sell us. You don’t take a qb in the second round to run the wildcat. Taysom Hill was an UDFA...

The reality is the eagles don’t trust wentz can stay healthy and may try to trade him. His value is still relatively high, one more injury and that value falls a lot. The eagles led Bradford to believe he’d be their guy, next thing you know the guy wakes up in Minnesota 

Even if that's the case why is it such a bad thing for the Eagles fanbase? The front office is protecting the team from a future Wentz injury/decline/retirement (whatever) just in case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Everyone is still trying to find this ONE huge reason for why the Eagles made this pick and I just don't think it's that simple. You can come up with several reasons for why the Eagles did this.

-They want a really good back up QB

-They want a really good back up QB who is cheap so they can spend more money elsewhere in free agency

-They want to develop Hurts and trade him for a first down the road

-They want to put a Taysom Hill package into the offense

-They don't believe in Carson Wentz to stay healthy

-They want options in four years when Wentz's contract is up and they love Hurts and think he can be developed into a franchise QB

-There is more to this and something we don't know about

So my point is, while everyone keeps wanting to come up with one or two reasons for why they made this head scratching pick, perhaps there are SEVERAL reasons. Doesn't justify it, doesn;t make it a good pick, I just think people are trying to make this more simple than it actually is. They probably see Hurts checking off a lot of these boxes or they aren't investing a 2nd round pick in him. By that I mean, they aren't investing a 2nd round pick in a backup QB, OR a Taysom Hill gadget player. If they think he checks off both of those boxes and they can potentially flip him for a first down the road though, there is more value with him.

All that blather to justify skipping over your second round pick to get help for your franchise QB, who is in his prime??? NONE of the above "check boxes" can justify a mistake as stupid this pick is- period. It's a stupid pick-plain and simple. There is no clever philosophy that can put a good spin on why the Eagles made of of the worst picks in draft history. None. Face it, they totally blew it and that's that. Keep it simple.