Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, Talonblood said:

All that blather to justify skipping over your second round pick to get help for your franchise QB, who is in his prime??? NONE of the above "check boxes" can justify a mistake as stupid this pick is- period. It's a stupid pick-plain and simple. There is no clever philosophy that can put a good spin on why the Eagles made of of the worst picks in draft history. None. Face it, they totally blew it and that's that. Keep it simple.

Guess you glossed over or couldn't read the part where I said none of this justifies things or makes it a good pick. I'm simply trying to understand why they chose to do this and I think there are probably a lot of reasons for it, where as a lot of people are looking for ONE grand solution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I agree we know that now with the benefit of hindsight, but the odds are in one’s favor that at 37, the end is very close for most players. 

Ehh....I don't know. I felt like Brady could because of how he played. Gets the ball out fast....doesn't take unnecessary contact..durable. At least that's how I viewed it. Maybe they didn't. Like I expect Russell Wilson to play awhile because he too doesn't take bad contact. 

4 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

All that blather to justify skipping over your second round pick to get help for your franchise QB, who is in his prime??? NONE of the above "check boxes" can justify a mistake as stupid this pick is- period. It's a stupid pick-plain and simple. There is no clever philosophy that can put a good spin on why the Eagles made of of the worst picks in draft history. None. Face it, they totally blew it and that's that. Keep it simple.

U mad, bro?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Everyone is still trying to find this ONE huge reason for why the Eagles made this pick and I just don't think it's that simple. You can come up with several reasons for why the Eagles did this.

-They want a really good back up QB

-They want a really good back up QB who is cheap so they can spend more money elsewhere in free agency

-They want to develop Hurts and trade him for a first down the road

-They want to put a Taysom Hill package into the offense

-They don't believe in Carson Wentz to stay healthy

-They want options in four years when Wentz's contract is up and they love Hurts and think he can be developed into a franchise QB

-There is more to this and something we don't know about

So my point is, while everyone keeps wanting to come up with one or two reasons for why they made this head scratching pick, perhaps there are SEVERAL reasons. Doesn't justify it, doesn;t make it a good pick, I just think people are trying to make this more simple than it actually is. They probably see Hurts checking off a lot of these boxes or they aren't investing a 2nd round pick in him. By that I mean, they aren't investing a 2nd round pick in a backup QB, OR a Taysom Hill gadget player. If they think he checks off both of those boxes and they can potentially flip him for a first down the road though, there is more value with him.

If your Howie why would you look to trade Hurts down the road if your worried about Wentz’s durability and health?

That would totally erase all the potential work coaches here have done with him and also leave you with a screwed up QB situation. 

Hurts was not drafted to become a trade chip. I’ll believe the gimmick BS before I believe us wanting to trade him for a good return, if a good return is what you get. 

1 minute ago, T-1000 said:

Guess you glossed over or couldn't read the part where I said none of this justifies things or makes it a good pick. I'm simply trying to understand why they chose to do this and I think there are probably a lot of reasons for it, where as a lot of people are looking for ONE grand solution.

You're not alone there. I don't like the pick but I'm trying to understand it. Figure out there reasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You're not alone there. I don't like the pick but I'm trying to understand it. Figure out there reasons. 

Yep, and that's all I'm trying to do. It's silly that you can't even have the discussion without people flipping out, especially when you go out of your way to say nothing justifies it as a good pick. I'm just discussing the situation and trying to make sense of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Ehh....I don't know. I felt like Brady could because of how he played. Gets the ball out fast....doesn't take unnecessary contact..durable. At least that's how I viewed it. Maybe they didn't. Like I expect Russell Wilson to play awhile because he too doesn't take bad contact. 

I would certainly hope there is some communication with any aging player about how they see their future, but sometimes players think they’re more invincible than they are. Any smart GM should prepare for Father Time to arrive without notice.  

I'll just add my 2Cents worth.

Carson, who I love, has not been able to lead the Birds in the last three years in the playoffs due to injury. That has to impact the front office. One of those years your QB was able to win the Super Bowl, the other two years they weren't able to pick up the slack.

I think the latest injury to Carson, the concussion, caused some concern in the FO. And I think they just decided that instead of just finding a backup for 5-10 million they would select Hurts. He reminds me of R. Wilson. I think the message to Carson is that as long as your healthy you're our franchise QB, but you have put us in a position where we have to prepare for the contingency of you getting injured.

Let's face it, losing a RB or a WR or a LB can be bad but it's nothing like losing your starting QB. It will destroy your season. In Carson's case there is good reason for drafting a QB. I would have waited till the fourth but I can't blame them for grabbing Hurts early in light of the concussion. I don't think Howie or the FO will say what I'm saying in public. But I believe it was the primary reason for this early selection. They wanted a backup that had the highest chance of being good. Hurts is it imho.

I would have drafted Murray and then Mims first two rounds but I can live with Reagor and Hurts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quiet Boy said:

Even if that's the case why is it such a bad thing for the Eagles fanbase? The front office is protecting the team from a future Wentz injury/decline/retirement (whatever) just in case.

Because it seems like the Eagles don’t care how dangerous of a situation they have just created with this pick. Carsons confidence already can’t be all that high with all he’s had to deal with as an eagle. The one year where he’s finally thinking ok I’m the guy I’m ready for the FO to put some weapons around me, they go out and draft his replacement a year after paying him. It’s like do you they believe in him or not? Gave him the money but also drafted his replacement so now he has to look over his shoulder every Sunday and pray he doesn’t get hurt because that could be his last game. You know how it goes in Philly. They will starting booing Carson and screaming for hurts. This is basically the nick foles situation all over again 

32 minutes ago, Br3 said:

The eagles led Bradford to believe he’d be their guy, next thing you know the guy wakes up in Minnesota

Wentz is light years above Bradford.

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

People will call for Hurts to replace Wentz if he has any struggles next year because that is the mentality of a fan. God help us if he has a 2-3 game stretch like he did in 2019! Some called for McCown to start last year when Wentz struggled, now we are going to have a second round pick (a premium pick) sat on the sidelines ready to go. Howie has created another QB controversey.

No, it's the idiot fans along with the idiot media that creates the QB controversy.

OBVIOUSLY . . . this move was  NECESSARY  as far as the team is concerned !

That's the reason why it was doneThat's all you need to know for now !

Now everyone can  S  T  F  U  and we'll see how it plays out !     :dope-slap:  

2 minutes ago, Br3 said:

Because it seems like the Eagles don’t care how dangerous of a situation they have just created with this pick. Carsons confidence already can’t be all that high with all he’s had to deal with as an eagle. The one year where he’s finally thinking ok I’m the guy I’m ready for the FO to put some weapons around me, they go out and draft his replacement a year after paying him. It’s like do you they believe in him or not? Gave him the money but also drafted his replacement so now he has to look over his shoulder every Sunday and pray he doesn’t get hurt because that could be his last game. You know how it goes in Philly. They will starting booing Carson and screaming for hurts. This is basically the nick foles situation all over again 

In all fairness, all Wentz has to change with his game is his willingness to extend plays when we don’t need him to, he has every ability with weapons now to succeed. So if I’m Wentz I try to protect myself from harms way and this may all end up with Hurts being his backup.

Or Wentz can continue to lunge forward, initiate contact and take unnecessary hits while limping back to the huddle. I love the effort and I love the passion and the heart, but that could ultimately lead to his downfall, and I think this FO is starting to wonder how long he has playing like this. 

So the hope is to have a backup cheap then get a 2nd rounder in 4 years out of it? You you dont spend 2nd rounders on that. The sad thing is outside of this pick it wasnt a horrible draft but this is all anyone is going to remember. Unless Reagor turns into a star. Howie better be praying for that.

18 minutes ago, Diehard said:

I'll just add my 2Cents worth.

Carson, who I love, has not been able to lead the Birds in the last three years in the playoffs due to injury. That has to impact the front office. One of those years your QB was able to win the Super Bowl, the other two years they weren't able to pick up the slack.

I think the latest injury to Carson, the concussion, caused some concern in the FO. And I think they just decided that instead of just finding a backup for 5-10 million they would select Hurts. He reminds me of R. Wilson. I think the message to Carson is that as long as your healthy you're our franchise QB, but you have put us in a position where we have to prepare for the contingency of you getting injured.

Let's face it, losing a RB or a WR or a LB can be bad but it's nothing like losing your starting QB. It will destroy your season. In Carson's case there is good reason for drafting a QB. I would have waited till the fourth but I can't blame them for grabbing Hurts early in light of the concussion. I don't think Howie or the FO will say what I'm saying in public. But I believe it was the primary reason for this early selection. They wanted a backup that had the highest chance of being good. Hurts is it imho.

I would have drafted Murray and then Mims first two rounds but I can live with Reagor and Hurts.

Now that I have had some time to reflect on this pick, I do agree with your assessment.

I also wonder if there is bigger problem with Carson and leadership in the locker room then we really know.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

So the hope is to have a backup cheap then get a 2nd rounder in 4 years out of it? You you dont spend 2nd rounders on that. The sad thing is outside of this pick it wasnt a horrible draft but this is all anyone is going to remember. Unless Reagor turns into a star. Howie better be praying for that.

Makes even less sense when you consider how terrible the eagles are at drafting. Even if they can get a first round pick, we’re taking Mack Hollins 2.0 from Eastern Savannah community college.

And the hamster wheel keeps spinning.  

6 minutes ago, Br3 said:

Makes even less sense when you consider how terrible the eagles are at drafting. Even if they can get a first round pick, we’re taking Mack hollins 2.0

And the hamster wheel keeps spinning.  

I wanted him to make a move for Ruggs, Jeudy or lamb. But I can live with Reagor. It was a reach but not a huge one. If he had just gotten out of his own way and taken Mims there instead of tossing the pick in the crapper I would have gone hmmm not a horrible draft Howie. The cherry on the crap parfait is that the Cowgirls had a excellent draft.

• Like 1

And another thing: this article relates how the pandemic is going to change how the season unfolds, if at all:

>> This year’s rookie class will encounter rare challenges. 

Veteran coaches and players liken it to 2011 when the lockout prevented teams from holding offseason workouts and practices. That situation severely hampered the learning process for rookies, and this year will present similar obstacles for first-year players. Fortunately for this year’s rookies, they are permitted to have contact with their coaches, which wasn’t the case during the lockout. But they still do not have access to team facilities. There will be no traditional rookie minicamp, which means no practice reps. That also prevents undrafted players from receiving tryout opportunities. NFL teams plan to hold virtual rookie minicamps, which will feature Zoom conferences with position coaches, film study sessions and orientations with player development directors. The hope is these video sessions along with the full squad virtual meetings will give rookies a knowledge base to ease their transition once they finally get on the field. <<

And who knows when that may be ?

6 hours ago, Boogyman said:

The situation with Wentz is truly unique though. He is extremely talented and has shown he can play at the highest of levels. He also has been hurt 3 out of 4 years and uses his athletism a lot. We, due to the situation, need a high quality backup QB more than most other teams do.

That’s all the more reason to see that if this kid is as high quality as you think then Carson becomes expendable. If he’s constantly going down and the kid is coming in and playing at a high level at some point the Eagles are going to make a decision and it will not be to keep the oft injured guy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Carson Wentz high horse? I don't even like Carson Wentz like that. Nothing against him I'm just not a fan. But he's Cleary the Eagles franchise quarterback. Its stupid but I don't expect for any of you guys to see how stupidity is. Some of you guys eat up everything the Eagles sell you. 

Who are you? I don’t even think I was posting to you was I? 

23 minutes ago, Br3 said:

They gave him a huge contract in the offseason to show they support him. He stayed healthy for the season but suffered a serious head injury in the 1st playoff game. That's concerning.

Nothing wrong with drafting a potential replacement while still being supportive. They even vocalized their position in the Hurts press conference. Carson can take it any way he wants but it's a business. Trust and support are obviously different.

• Like 1

I'm just speculating and reading between the lines. However, I just listened to Howie speak with Reese and Marks on WIP. He talked about how much he loves Carson Wentz and giving him the big extension and surrounding him with talent proves that. However, he brought up needing to do what's best for the Philadelphia Eagles. He said Wentz and other vets would have probably prefered someone with that pick who could help out right away, but he is paid to make tough decisions and do what's right for the Eagles. This leads me to believe that they love Hurts and are worried about Wentz's ability to stay healthy, especially long term. Again, I think there are a lot of factors but this really stood out. He also brought up being able to have a really good backup with a low cap hit, which enables them to spend more of their cap on other positions to help improve the team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Define early and in their prime. 

I would state between 26 and 30. Other people apparently think well into the 30s and darn near 40 so I guess it’s on your perspective. 

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I'm just speculating and reading between the lines. However, I just listened to Howie speak with Reese and Marks on WIP. He talked about how much he loves Carson Wentz and giving him the big extension and surrounding him with talent proves that. However, he brought up needing to do what's best for the Philadelphia Eagles. He said Wentz and other vets would have probably prefered someone with that pick who could help out right away, but he is paid to make tough decisions and do what's right for the Eagles. This leads me to believe that they love Hurts and are worried about Wentz's ability to stay healthy, especially long term. Again, I think there are a lot of factors but this really stood out. He also brought up being able to have a really good backup with a low cap hit, which enables them to spend more of their cap on other positions to help improve the team.

Howie needs to be locked out of the draft room. He should keep his other duties as he is good at them. But man he can not draft.

2 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Okay now it’s time for Howie to prove it as there’s still some high quality free agents out there that could help this team. 

22 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Now that I have had some time to reflect on this pick, I do agree with your assessment.

I also wonder if there is bigger problem with Carson and leadership in the locker room then we really know.

Well we know Wentz had to make a better effort to mingle with others, which kudos to him because he did. Even players came out and applauded that. But I don’t know what good it did.