Round 2 (#53): Eagles select Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma QB)

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I would state between 26 and 30. Other people apparently think well into the 30s and darn near 40 so I guess it’s on your perspective. 

It varies. People age differently.

1 minute ago, Quiet Boy said:

They gave him a huge contract in the offseason to show they support him. He stayed healthy for the season but suffered a serious head injury in the 1st playoff game. That's concerning.

Nothing wrong with drafting a potential replacement while still being supportive. They even vocalized their position in the Hurts press conference. Carson can take it any way he wants but it's a business. Trust and support are obviously different.

Business yes but you can’t be too worried about business that you forget that teams operate on chemistry and I think that dept took a huge hit with this move. 

• Like 2

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Howie needs to be locked out of the draft room. He should keep his other duties as he is good at them. But man he can not draft.

Its in the genes. Everybody is different on aging.

In any case the team will make the decision when they see fit to start planning for the future. Like it or not the Eagles kind of did that here. 

• Like 1

OK for my 5000th Post I wanna go more positive. Outside of Hurts it isnt that bad. We were one of the slowest teams in the league last year. Cant say that anymore. Got some quality depth on the line. I think we got our future safety. It really depends on Reagor. If he is a star all good, if he busts horrible draft.

1 minute ago, Br3 said:

Business yes but you can’t be too worried about business that you forget that teams operate on chemistry and I think that dept took a huge hit with this move. 

No matter how anyone tries to rationalize this pick there’s no doubt in my mind it’s directly related to Carson. If they had confidence in him staying healthy this doesn’t happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

No matter how anyone tries to rationalize this pick there’s no doubt in my mind it’s directly related to Carson. If they had confidence in him staying healthy this doesn’t happen. 

It’s a joke because he was healthy the entire season and then took a targeted illegal hit in the post season.

FO, maybe get the guy some legit weapons to throw the football to instead of backup qbs & a group of jags so that Carson can get the ball out of his hands and not feel like he has to run all the time or take unnecessary hits/sacks?  Is this Rocket science or quantum physics or something ??

they really sent this man into a freaking playoff game with Ward Jr, Deontay Burnett and ArthegaWhiteside as his primary WRs and then wonder why a disaster happened ? Newsflash: any qb playing in the playoffs with those weapons is going to get hurt. Ask McCown....Dude tore his acl running for his life in literally the same game 

Eagles FO: lets put the guy in a position to FAIL. And then when he doesn’t get the job done or gets hurt then we blame him and absolve ourselves of any accountability 

22 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I'm just speculating and reading between the lines. However, I just listened to Howie speak with Reese and Marks on WIP. He talked about how much he loves Carson Wentz and giving him the big extension and surrounding him with talent proves that. However, he brought up needing to do what's best for the Philadelphia Eagles. He said Wentz and other vets would have probably prefered someone with that pick who could help out right away, but he is paid to make tough decisions and do what's right for the Eagles. This leads me to believe that they love Hurts and are worried about Wentz's ability to stay healthy, especially long term. Again, I think there are a lot of factors but this really stood out. He also brought up being able to have a really good backup with a low cap hit, which enables them to spend more of their cap on other positions to help improve the team.

Which is exactly why this was a good move.  And then if he say starts a couple of games for Wentz, shows good promise and another team not trusting the QBs in 2021 wanting to trade for Hurts, maybe this is another Sam Bradford, whom the Eagles made out like bandits in the end with. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I would state between 26 and 30. Other people apparently think well into the 30s and darn near 40 so I guess it’s on your perspective. 

What about the early pick part? 

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Okay now it’s time for Howie to prove it as there’s still some high quality free agents out there that could help this team. 

It's not necessarily about this coming season (assuming there is one, which is NOT a given at this point).  That could come into play NEXT season.  

figured I’d share my 2 cents on this pick. while i think the pick would’ve been better spent on a db like fulton or wr like mims, i’m not mad at them for attempting to fix a glaring problem on this team and that’s wentz’s ability to stay healthy. he’s been hurt many many times over the course of his college and pro career. if you look at the off-season as a whole, we fixed or at least attempted to fix all the holes on this roster. why did we fall short last year? db’s were trash - we acquired 2 good corners, a safety and also drafted a safety. the wrs were slow and inefficient - we let a wr go and drafted 3 more with speed. carson wentz got hurt again and the backup who came in wasn’t good - drafted hurts. so with all that said i think we’re in a much better position now than we were last year. if carson goes down again, we have a good young prospect who can come in and play. he’s familiar w the offense we run and can also easily have an rpo offense put in place where he can excel. i’m not saying i love the pick, but when you think about the high probability of another wentz injury, it just makes sense to have a good young player instead of a journeyman backup.

• Like 1

Just now, PhillySmoke said:

figured I’d share my 2 cents on this pick. while i think the pick would’ve been better spent on a db like fulton or wr like mims, i’m not mad at them for attempting to fix a glaring problem on this team and that’s wentz’s ability to stay healthy. he’s been hurt many many times over the course of his college and pro career. if you look at the off-season as a whole, we fixed or at least attempted to fix all the holes on this roster. why did we fall short last year? db’s were trash - we acquired 2 good corners, a safety and also drafted a safety. the wrs were slow and inefficient - we let a wr go and drafted 3 more with speed. carson wentz got hurt again and the backup who came in wasn’t good - drafted hurts. so with all that said i think we’re in a much better position now than we were last year. if carson goes down again, we have a good young prospect who can come in and play. he’s familiar w the offense we run and can also easily have an rpo offense put in place where he can excel. i’m not saying i love the pick, but when you think about the high probability of another wentz injury, it just makes sense to have a good young player instead of a journeyman backup.

Plus this might also be a bet there may not be a college football season this year, or if there is one it will be severely delayed and not start until January or February:

Say there is an NFL season where Wentz has to miss a game or two and Hurts is lights-out in those games.  You could see a team next year offer a 1st rounder on Hurts if they don't trust the QBs in college if there was no college season or if there is one but it's delayed to where the Bowl games are around Memorial Day with the championship game in June, such players could be going into the NFL with very little time between the end of CFB and the start of the NFL season, which might make Hurts more desirable if he had a full off-season coming in a trade.  That may be what Howie is betting on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Plus this might also be a bet there may not be a college football season this year, or if there is one it will be severely delayed and not start until January or February:

Say there is an NFL season where Wentz has to miss a game or two and Hurts is lights-out in those games.  You could see a team next year offer a 1st rounder on Hurts if they don't trust the QBs in college if there was no college season or if there is one but it's delayed to where the Bowl games are around Memorial Day with the championship game in June, such players could be going into the NFL with very little time between the end of CFB and the start of the NFL season, which might make Hurts more desirable if he had a full off-season coming in a trade.  That may be what Howie is betting on. 

also possible. i think howie’s plan of late is to acquire as many draft picks as possible and keep recycling them via the comp system. use a player for 4 years, let them sign elsewhere, replace them w the comp pick. it’s smart actually. the pats have been doing this for years

7 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Okay, where's Wally and what did you do to him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

What about the early pick part? 

1st or 2nd. 

17 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

It's not necessarily about this coming season (assuming there is one, which is NOT a given at this point).  That could come into play NEXT season.  

They could still give someone a one year deal and still have that space for next season right? On top of that the guy could leave and the Eagles get a comp pick out of it. 

24 minutes ago, Br3 said:

It’s a joke because he was healthy the entire season and then took a targeted illegal hit in the post season.

FO, maybe get the guy some legit weapons to throw the football to instead of backup qbs & a group of jags so that Carson can get the ball out of his hands and not feel like he has to run all the time or take unnecessary hits/sacks?  Is this Rocket science or quantum physics or something ??

they really sent this man into a freaking playoff game with Ward Jr, Deontay Burnett and ArthegaWhiteside as his primary WRs and then wonder why a disaster happened ? Newsflash: any qb playing in the playoffs with those weapons is going to get hurt. Ask McCown....Dude tore his acl running for his life in literally the same game 

Eagles FO: lets put the guy in a position to FAIL. And then when he doesn’t get the job done or gets hurt then we blame him and absolve ourselves of any accountability 

You could say the same about the coordinator and the WR coach too. And they dumped them right after saying they would be back. I guess we really shouldn’t be that surprised about any of this. I for one think they should have used that pick to improve the team. They used the pick show they’re hedging on their commitment to Carson. Even if they are trying to spin it differently that’s frankly how it looks. 

• Like 1

This Hurts pick may be a bet by Howie to turn it into something bigger next offseason:

Even if the NFL does manage to get its season in on time or even go to late February/early March to get it in, there already is an increasing likelihood that College Football may wind up being delayed until January or February and if it's February with the Bowl Games taking place in mid-to-late May and the Championship Game as late as June 7, 2021 because many universities need to actually have fans in the stands to play games and regardless some states, most notably California may not allow sporting events to take place at all until the calendar changes to 2021.  California alone may force the CFB season to be delayed until January or February and if that is the case OR the season winds up entirely canceled due to the Pandemic, Howie could be holding a big card with regards to the 2021 draft, especially if Hurts did have to sub for Wentz for a couple of games and play lights-out in those.

If the CFB season is in fact delayed to early-mid 2021 or canceled entirely, I could see teams reluctant to take a quarterback with a first-round pick, especially if there are no games in 2021 where they could be showcased of if the season is delayed such players might not be recovered enough to play in the NFL coming off a college season ending as late as May and even early June and regardless not having a full off-season due to a delayed college season.  This is where if Hurts proves enough this season, some team might be willing to invest at least a mid-first rounder in a trade to get Hurts if not more because they trust Hurts more than they would a QB coming in from college due to what could be some very unusual dynamics in 2020-'21.  

That IMO may be why Howie gambled on Hurts with the side benefit for this year having some serious insurance for Carson. 

32 minutes ago, PhillySmoke said:

i’m not mad at them for attempting to fix a glaring problem on this team and that’s wentz’s ability to stay healthy.

He was healthy all year last year. The only reason he got knocked out is that a dirty player went head hunting. 

• Sad 1

Dam you know what, after thinking about it...............................................

yea, still not buying it. Sounds like the same logic of "What if Wentz gets Corna Virus" 

I for one am excited to have this kid. Hope he does well in every opportunity he gets. Even if that means he eventually takes the helm from Wentz. Insurance that may just fit the team better.

I just think Howie is gambling on the likelihood of either a severely delayed or canceled College Football season which could make the 2021 draft a complete crapshoot. 

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Yep, and that's all I'm trying to do. It's silly that you can't even have the discussion without people flipping out, especially when you go out of your way to say nothing justifies it as a good pick. I'm just discussing the situation and trying to make sense of it.

Unfortunately these things happen on a message board though bud. Look I'm with you and agree. Ultimately it's about having a balanced view and I can see you're trying to figure out what on earth is the reasoning. 

1 hour ago, McNabbIsDone said:

OBVIOUSLY . . . this move was  NECESSARY  as far as the team is concerned !

If you say so, that's your opinion not everyone's. 

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You could say the same about the coordinator and the WR coach too. And they dumped them right after saying they would be back. I guess we really shouldn’t be that surprised about any of this. I for one think they should have used that pick to improve the team. They used the pick show they’re hedging on their commitment to Carson. Even if they are trying to spin it differently that’s frankly how it looks. 

Pretty sure that’s the intention. Backup QB is a pretty important role in any team, even more so here. We MAY have a nice young one locked up for the next 4 years very cheaply. This off-season is not over people...still cuts and trade opportunities to come. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He was healthy all year last year. The only reason he got knocked out is that a dirty player went head hunting. 

You're right but fact is he still was injured. So when this is all said and done. One of them will be our QB leading this team in the next 2 years. Honestly I can't wait to see how this all plays out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magnifico said:

You're right but fact is he still was injured. So when this is all said and done. One of them will be our QB leading this team in the next 2 years. Honestly I can't wait to see how this all plays out. 

Unless he suffers another major injury Wentz will be leading this team because he's by far and away the better player.